Plant won't show sex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I have two hydro grown auto flower plants and one soil grown auto flower plant that sprouted on Dec 1.

One hydro plant and the soil plant showed their pistils almost 10 days ago, but the other hydro plant shows no indication of sex at all.

I am very familiar with both sex characteristics, but this plant has nothing on any of the nodes to show its sex yet.

It has been very long for an auto flower to remain like this, so I suspect that the seed was mixed up when packaged or maybe it is a hermie.

I do not have the ability to grow it like a photoperiod plant at the moment without messing up the other two auto plants in the same grow tent.

How long should I give it to determine if it is ever going to show its sex?
It is supposed to be an auto Jack (sativa dominant) feminized auto flower seed.

just watch it..But leave in in the tent...My guess is its a Photo pheno...Ive seen this in Autos...But Like I said..watch it close

:48:

Some autos simply do not "auto"--they need to be put into 12/12 to flower. If you have no where to flower it, you can just let it veg while the autos are flowering.

Thanks. What is a photo pheno?
I have the added problem that this has to be my last grow until the fall because I won't be around regularly.
I was hoping to have the grow finished by the end of february (sprouted dec 1) and I would not have time to start flowering another plant that had been vegging around while the autos finished.
So unless the plant shows something definite soon, I will probably take it out to give the other two more room. The second hydro plant is huge. It has a thicket of leaves and a base stalk about 1 inch thick. It's only about 16 inches tall and has pistil sites everywhere. It has leaves under leaves, and when you move some around, you discover even more leaves below which have not even developed much because there's not enough light getting there. There is a tangle of leaves from very small new ones to big fan leaves the size of a plate.

The soil plant is small and it's growing very nicely. I tend to neglect it a bit, because servicing the two hydro buckets is a lot of work, but I suspect that this is good because I am not overwatering or overfeeding it and the leaves are clean and pretty and it has lots of pistils. I am doing some lst to it, tying the main stem over and exposing a row of side stems with bud sites to more light. The stem head keeps growing and trying to turn back up, but I am gently keeping it going sideways for a while until the side branches start to become more dominant.

It's still amazing the difference in size and development between the soil and the hydro plants. The hydro plants are about 10 times the bulk of the soil plant and all were sprouted at the same time.

indica-jan-8.jpg

indica-jan-8a.jpg

sativa-jan-8a.jpg

soil-jan-8.jpg

Latest posts

Back