My first hydro grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how big are they? ph in hydro is best at 5.5-5.8 range. 6.1 is high. pics definitely help at this stage

I PH my hydro from 5.8 - 6.3 and dip down.. usually if I notice my PH at 6.2 I will bump down to 5.8.. but I try not to go much lower. 5.7, sure, but no lower if I can help it. And no higher than 6.3

*Random thought*

In retrospect, you and I disagree very very often Zem, but we get along like peas and carrots! Very good, I like that. I like that I can disagree with someone so many times and still enjoy their convo. (this is a compliment lol)

Cheers Zem! :aok:

I PH my hydro from 5.8 - 6.3 and dip down.. usually if I notice my PH at 6.2 I will bump down to 5.8.. but I try not to go much lower. 5.7, sure, but no lower if I can help it. And no higher than 6.3

*Random thought*

In retrospect, you and I disagree very very often Zem, but we get along like peas and carrots! Very good, I like that. I like that I can disagree with someone so many times and still enjoy their convo. (this is a compliment lol)

Cheers Zem! :aok:

hmmm. well that's not a total disagreement there, I confess, that I sometimes get lazy and don't mind it drifting above 6 when everything is looking great. I am more careful when things seems not at their best. I normally go between 5.5 and 6. i decided on this range based on the PH chart that's in the stickies, this one>>>http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1908

About the "disagreements", I am the one who enjoys them, I am the one who is always asking mods for more tolerance of those people who join mp with wild ways about how to grow, I always want them to be debated and not crushed. I believe in individual uniqueness, and that every single person has a thing to say, some thing better, something different, something positive to add, so these "disagreements" are nothing but regular debate from my part and I enjoy so much your action and company in here :aok: Cheers Doc

Yep.. notice, once you get below 6.0, Phosphorus drops exceedingly for uptake value. :D

All of the rest of the fields have a good "swing range", but Phosphorus.

(I attached a pic of the chart you are referring.. ugliest one of these I've seen lol!!!)

attachment.php

**edit**
I scrolled down, here's one of the pretty ones lol (But in the first, you can see a "taper off" to the width of the lines.. that's a more accurate idea of "uptake value" during said PH levels)

attachment.php

budz, it looks hungry to me... maybe you need to flush with fresh ferts, thats my 2 cents

About the "disagreements", I am the one who enjoys them, I am the one who is always asking mods for more tolerance of those people who join mp with wild ways about how to grow, I always want them to be debated and not crushed. I believe in individual uniqueness, and that every single person has a thing to say, some thing better, something different, something positive to add, so these "disagreements" are nothing but regular debate from my part and I enjoy so much your action and company in here :aok: Cheers Doc

"You must spread rep around before giving it to Zem again"

:aok:

Ok thanks guys! I normally would have changed the rez tomorrow, I can just do it today then.

So, regarding the ppm's......I am using the 500 scale, the blue lab meter I have can do ec/500/700 scales.....any clue which one I should use? I mean I use the ec to make sure its in range, but why 2 diff ppm scales, and which one does the floranova 1 part chart go off of?

Very odd.. I'm not sure there. I have a "Primo" brand PPM meter. It has an on and off button hah. And a Bluelab PH meter, that has PH / Temp. No experience with Bluelab EC meter. :(

Yep.. notice, once you get below 6.0, Phosphorus drops exceedingly for uptake value. :D

All of the rest of the fields have a good "swing range", but Phosphorus.

(I attached a pic of the chart you are referring.. ugliest one of these I've seen lol!!!)

attachment.php

**edit**
I scrolled down, here's one of the pretty ones lol (But in the first, you can see a "taper off" to the width of the lines.. that's a more accurate idea of "uptake value" during said PH levels)

attachment.php

I dont worry a lot about phosphorous it is easily provided for the plant because it is required in less amounts. the fert labels are misleading and in fact, there is not 1 plant on earth that requires P as much as N or K. i usually attribute p deficiency to something else that locked it like cold temps

zem, what ppm meter do you have? Which scale do you use?

Chart says 800ppm is what I need....but is that 500 or 700 scale?

I also assume that your looking for total ppm, not just what your adding.....IE....tap water here has a ppm of 180-200 after bubbling it for 24hours. So then I want to add nutes till it gets to 800ppm total right?

budz thats the one i use http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/tds-meter-and-digital-thermometer i dont know which scale. total salinity affects the plant's uptake even if those elements in hard water are useless for the plant, so when aiming at a certain concentration, you count those. my tap water is in the 230-240 range andf it's fine. I don't know what to suggest in exact number of ppm for your plants, but with my water with a plant like yours, i'm fine with letting it reach 1000ppm total

budz thats the one i use http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/tds-meter-and-digital-thermometer i dont know which scale. total salinity affects the plant's uptake even if those elements in hard water are useless for the plant, so when aiming at a certain concentration, you count those. my tap water is in the 230-240 range andf it's fine. I don't know what to suggest in exact number of ppm for your plants, but with my water with a plant like yours, i'm fine with letting it reach 1000ppm total

Thank you!!

I just cleaned and filled the rez....850ppm total 5.7 PH 67*

EDIT: Reason for 5.7 ph to start, I have found that the ph goes up after a day or 2

Hey budz,

Goodluck on your water journey, just stoppin in to say hello.

Plant looks like she's ready to go. Cheers

zem, what ppm meter do you have? Which scale do you use?

Chart says 800ppm is what I need....but is that 500 or 700 scale?

I also assume that your looking for total ppm, not just what your adding.....IE....tap water here has a ppm of 180-200 after bubbling it for 24hours. So then I want to add nutes till it gets to 800ppm total right?
Set it to 700 which is what is most common in the US which will match up with companies like General Hydroponics and the like.

[FONT=&quot]The ppm 700 scale is based on measuring the KCl or potassium chloride content of a solution. The ppm 500 is based on measuring the NaCl or sodium chloride content of a solution and is also referred to as TDS - total dissolved solids. Individual nutrient ions have different electrical effects! The true ppm of a solution can only be determined by a chemical analysis. ppm cannot be accurately measured by a CF or EC meter.[/FONT]

Set it to 700 which is what is most common in the US which will match up with companies like General Hydroponics and the like.

[FONT=&quot]The ppm 700 scale is based on measuring the KCl or potassium chloride content of a solution. The ppm 500 is based on measuring the NaCl or sodium chloride content of a solution and is also referred to as TDS - total dissolved solids. Individual nutrient ions have different electrical effects! The true ppm of a solution can only be determined by a chemical analysis. ppm cannot be accurately measured by a CF or EC meter.[/FONT]

ah then mine is 500 scale because it is calibrated with NaCl and it is a TDS meter. how does my reading differ from 700 scale? if mine reads 1000 what would the 700 read? good info as always PJ

Thank you!!

I just cleaned and filled the rez....850ppm total 5.7 PH 67*

EDIT: Reason for 5.7 ph to start, I have found that the ph goes up after a day or 2

I think most people have their pH drift up rather than down. However, you might want to start it even a bit lower. I like to start about 5.5 and then let it drift up. Mn is not even available to the plant at all at 5.7.

They do drift up if "the drift" is being done properly. If you start drifting down (fast over 24 hours) then the plant is not eating, most likely things are working on locking out and your food is too high and needs to be lowered. If it drifts up too fast, then your plant is hungry and you need to bring your PPM's up.

Drifting up is good.. drifting down, not so good. 5.7 should be a good start point if your PPM's are on point and your plant is eating :aok:

*disclaimer*
This is all my humble opinion :D

Nice PJ.. Knowledge tastes good this morning :aok:

Yes great info!!!! Thank you gentleman

Latest posts

Back