My first hydro grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PH was 5.5 to start 1200 ppm, today it was 6.6ph and 1200 ppm

Wow, crazy! I don't even know what to think here..

thank god they are left over autos, or I would be cursing like a sailor lmao!

I am at a loss.....I am going to try to transplant them into my(your DFG) DWC setup and see what happens.....I will just cut the lid tops to fit the square mesh pot......

I think the main issue is this ebb&flow system is a piece of crap and now that the ppm is higher, the light penetration is causing this. For god sakes I had to put a black trash bag over the flood tray just to keep light out....I will never buy from the local grow store again as I feel I was seriously mislead....which is a shame, apparently growing a local business with local money is not high on their list of priorities.

Hah, cheers man! :D

I giggled when I read that. I literally laughed out loud when I read what I quoted! hahah

haha thats funny. in ebb and flow you either need a lid or fill it all with growrocks. i also use a method of getting growbsgs stapled and laid on their sides make a hole on the one side and drain holes on the other. this way they are separate but cover a wide area. i can easily cover my tray with 4 bags. if i am transplanting all the plants in one time to the tray and will never move them until harvest i always choose filling the entire tray with rocks which is the best way imo. i would not ditch a flood and drain system just because it has no lid. i actually would not pay for a lid becausebit doesnt make sense in a way , if you want to pay for a lid its better to put your money on more growrocks to fill it entirely

Good points zem.

You know, I was thinking today however, I have had many fish tanks and the like in the past.....algae has never formed that fast!!! Is it possible it is not algae, it is hard to tell due to the dark color of the solution, I redid my math and realized I put in double the superthrive I was supposed to....thoughts?

Maybe by having too many vitamins and such expedited the process.

Also, should I put an airstone in the rez? I have 2 pumps and plenty of stones to go around.

On a side note, the PH raising so fast and so much (over one point 5.5-6.6 overnight) would tell me it is most likely algae...everytime with the fish tanks it was the same, when algae grows the PH goes up.

algae need to be stopped imo. if you are desperate and need a quick fix ill throw the cardboard quick fix here again. yes you can simply cut cardboard squares and lay them between existing pots. clean the algae first and never remove or worry until harvest then you would just get more rocks. rocks are the number one investment on my list. i buy PLENTY and go cheap diy on most things. i flood in diy trays using polyethylene black sheets for ponds those dont grow enough algae to cause any trouble even when exposed 100% with no plants.

i have to multipost from my phone laptop dead :( im out for days on this cell it sucks... anyway, i find airstones to be useless in flood and drain. i find h2o2 indispensable. if you can circulate your water a little bit thats enough. h2o2 serves great in eliminating algae and descaling the roots to feed better and lots of good things too :D i dont know superthrive but i would hate to use anything that makes my res dark. using double of anything is most probably going to cause trouble. check the ppm

i meant eliminating larvae... not algae... larvae cant even describe my frustration with an emotion from the smiley list lol

I got you on covering the flood tray 100%

Will standard peroxide work....like from the cvs/pharmacy? How much?

Superthrive is basically a multivitamin for a plant...I dont think it changes the ppm though, there are no solids, just vitamins. PPM is at 1215 right now PH at 5.7
rez temps 68* air temps 72*

vitamins hmmm.. i dunno. i thought that if youre in hydro synthetic nutes you dont need anything else. is it organic? it might not be compatible with h2o2 if it had microbes. h2o2 food grade not pharma grade. you buy it from chemical suppliers in 35% or more. 35 is quite corrosive so be careful. container comes with pressure release valve. any other container you put in diluted 1/2 or 1/4 you need to make the lid in a way that releases pressure. i just drill a neat hole and cover it with a lose tape. its not explosive lol just releases gases slowly and builds pressure and might break a bottle like in a freezer and can pop the lid like champaign when you open.

yeah IM in flora nova 1 part by general hydroponics.

Look up superthrive, I have used it for years in my veggie gardens, works wonders....now keep in mind those are all outdoor gardens in soil.

I will look into the peroxide you are talking about, the one I have for medicinal purposes is very low %

Also, should I put an airstone in the rez?

I insist on using air stones. Some people say you don't need to...those people are few, but I believe in more oxygenation / aeration. :aok:

when you flood let the water rise above the overflow for minutes thats ime more than sufficient. idk... i had more problems using when airstones and the thing that did the trick was h2o2... jeez it seems to be happening again me and doc disagreeing. only now i am outgunned severely typing from this stupid phone

LOL.. outgunned!! hahah :)

We've already had this convo zem. We agree to disagree on this one. But hey, I'm the one that's right, so it's ok.

:rofl:

:aok:

hahaha yeah you are right i know i just happen to be running 5 different reservoirs with 3000liters and 5 different crops MY wrong way lol :D

I have more res's and liters and crops than you.. neener neener! :D hahaha

Latest posts

Back