1st Grow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma414

Reaction score
Plant strain is AK-48
These pictures were taken 40 days after seeds were planted in the soil.
Plants have been receiving alternating feedings and waterings with a fairly light amount of fertilizer. Plants have also been fed foliarly with low nitrogen micronutrient mix from time to time. In a previous thread this was advised against. However, without going into too much about my personal life, I work in an industry where plants are fed via a foliar spray and I think this is a sound method.
Comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

View attachment 1 5 30.JPG

View attachment 1 5 30 b.JPG

View attachment 2 5 30.JPG

View attachment 2 5 30b.JPG

View attachment 3 5 30.JPG

View attachment 3 5 30 b.JPG

quit spraying anything on the leaves......... your new growth is showing its under feed or your ph is off and the plant can't get nutrients it needs.

welcome to mp..........green mojo.....:48:

Should of left this in the other thread you started with this grow.

quit spraying anything on the leaves......... your new growth is showing its under feed or your ph is off and the plant can't get nutrients it needs.

welcome to mp..........green mojo.....:48:
pH may be off. I do not currently have a pH meter but I hope to purchase one soon.
Can anyone explain why spraying the leaves is bad? I intend to stop the foliar feeding once they begin to flower so that I will not have a **** taste to the final product but I have used foliar feeding with a variety of flowering plants such as roses, hibiscus, etc. and have had fantastic results.

You have powdery mildew from spraying your plants. Unless that is the spray, which you needed to stop. I used to foliar spray roses too, that doesn't mean pot likes it, you have yourself a mess.

The first thing you have to understand is that cannabis is not "other plants" and you cannot necessarily use the same principals that you may have learned for other plants. There may be a lot of things that you can do with other plants, but not with cannabis. And vice versa, things cannabis needs that other plants do not. Generally foliar feeding is only used in emergencies. Otherwise, it can cause a lot of problems...powdery mildew being one of them.

Also, we can see that the plant is hungry. Exactly, what are you feeding it (brand and type of fertilizer with the N-P-K numbers) and how much, how often? The light green color shows that it is in need of nitrogen. Cannabis is a high energy plant and as such needs the correct food in the correct proportions at the correct time.

PH is also critical. Plants can only uptake nutrients at certain pH levels. If that is off too much, your plant cannot access the nutrients and really, nothing else you do will matter, if the pH is no good.

Although you work in the plant industry, I encourage you to do some more reading up on that it takes to grow cannabis---way different than vegetables and flowers.

You have powdery mildew from spraying your plants. Unless that is the spray, which you needed to stop. I used to foliar spray roses too, that doesn't mean pot likes it, you have yourself a mess.

I don't believe it is powdery mildew. Note the residue on the edges of the pot itself. I know everyone is going to laugh but I accidentally grabbed the wrong bottle off the counter one day. I had just smoked a few bowls and gave the plants one quick squirt each before I realized I was holding the bottle of lavender fabuloso hahaha. I am sure this was not good for the plants at all however **** happens I guess especially considering I am new to this. :doh:

The first thing you have to understand is that cannabis is not "other plants" and you cannot necessarily use the same principals that you may have learned for other plants. There may be a lot of things that you can do with other plants, but not with cannabis. And vice versa, things cannabis needs that other plants do not. Generally foliar feeding is only used in emergencies. Otherwise, it can cause a lot of problems...powdery mildew being one of them.

Also, we can see that the plant is hungry. Exactly, what are you feeding it (brand and type of fertilizer with the N-P-K numbers) and how much, how often? The light green color shows that it is in need of nitrogen. Cannabis is a high energy plant and as such needs the correct food in the correct proportions at the correct time.

PH is also critical. Plants can only uptake nutrients at certain pH levels. If that is off too much, your plant cannot access the nutrients and really, nothing else you do will matter, if the pH is no good.

Although you work in the plant industry, I encourage you to do some more reading up on that it takes to grow cannabis---way different than vegetables and flowers.

I am using a 5-10-8 fertilizer mix that I made from some fertilizer I got from work. The fertilizer is also loaded with micros which I will quickly run through. MG, B, Cu, Fe, Mn, Zn, S, and Mo.
I know this is not ideal and on Monday (tomorrow) I will go to my local hydro shop and pick up some Fox Farm stuff as it seems to be the way to go from what I have read. If anyone wants to recommend another brand I am all ears. I have also been reading about organic super soil and I think I will go that route with my next grow.

To give everyone a little background on my experience with growing weed, I have seen it done at a friend's however I have never grown alone. Having seen a plant go from seed to harvest I feel like I have a decent understanding of various height maintenance techniques such as FIMing and low stress training. What I am really interested in learning is what plants look like when they are deficient in nutrients or have diseases so I really appreciate all the input everyone!

Edit: I am feeding them every other watering. I wait until the soil is dry and the pot is light and I usually give them a gallon of water at least. I try to saturate the soil and make sure I have some run off. I believe this is the proper way to feed them correct?

Your watering great, perfect!

I love supersoil. I use Earth Juice nutrients. Do you want to ultimately be organic?

Your watering great, perfect!

I love supersoil. I use Earth Juice nutrients. Do you want to ultimately be organic?

Well my understanding of the organic method is not only is it easier since you are just watering but the taste is much better which is what I really want. I am not interested in growing a large quickly harvested crop. I would rather spend more time and have a higher quality end product. With this in mind organic seems to be the thing to do?

Sounds like a natural. start studying and reading super soils...here http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54251 and here:

First one with it. 20 days in. Holding strong.

18cf organic soil or Pro mix or the like
2cf rice hulls
1tb per gal of medium or 12c, soybean meal
1tb per gal of medium or 12c, alfalfa meal
10lb's bone meal
18 cups Dolomite lime
4lb's epsom
6lb's rock phosphate
5lb's Azomite
1c humic acid
6lb's kelp meal
6lb's green sand
8lb's Bio-tone/Plant-tone(depot) Have fun and let us know if you need any help.

Yup, looks like you got some girls, gratz. I agree about the foliar feeding, I too would stop that, your gonna get mold. MJ she is her own special plant and very specific how you treat her, as your looking for quality over quantity. THG or Rose or many other can help you reach your full potential here. Greenest of mojo sis.

I have never ever had the super soil feed my plants the entire way through a grow. I have always had to feed teas and or commercial organic nutes. So it is not just as simply as mixing up super soil, letting it cook, and then using it.

If you have sprayed your plants with something you shouldn't have, rinse them off. Make absolutely positive that is not powdery mildew as you have been misting them.

Now that you have all girls, it prompts me to ask you where you got the seeds?

Now that you have all girls, it prompts me to ask you where you got the seeds?
All the seeds were purchased from nirvanashop.com I hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning them. They were recommended by a friend and I am happy with my experience with them. I purchased five seeds and all five popped however only three made it when transfered to soil. I am sure I did something wrong during germ and If I had to guess I think I burried them too deep in the soil but oh well.

They are looking very good. If you got a 5 pack of seeds and ended up with all females, I am quite sure that you probably ordered fem seeds.

I would spread the plants out a bit to allow light to get to all parts of the plants better. You have plenty of room to give them some space from their neighbor.

If you veg them longer next time, you will be rewarded with a lot bigger yield.

Flowering mojo sent your way!
Thanks!

They are looking very good. If you got a 5 pack of seeds and ended up with all females, I am quite sure that you probably ordered fem seeds.

I would spread the plants out a bit to allow light to get to all parts of the plants better. You have plenty of room to give them some space from their neighbor.

If you veg them longer next time, you will be rewarded with a lot bigger yield.

Yes I did order fem seeds. Sorry if that was not clear before.
As for spreading them out I feel like the light is far more intense directly under the lamp and I make sure all the bud sites are getting light and are not covered by fan leaves or other bud sites. The light I am using is an LED light and although I am by no means an expert I think it is FAR superior to traditional lights. This is the light I am using [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Platinum-P300-12-band-Grow/dp/B00NTBS91Y[/ame]
To briefly go over why I like this light. Small, quiet, less energy and no heat. (like zero even if you touch the light directly) My only complaint is the intensity of the light seems far less on the edges of the tent. My plan for the next grow is to buy another of these lights and have two of them in the tent. The tent is 3'x3' and I think I can squeeze nine plants in there. Is this too many plants for this tent or too much light?
Also I was wondering about vegging the plants. Am I understanding correctly that the length of the veg all depends on how tall of a plant you can accomodate? For example you can veg as long as you want assuming you have the room for the plant to at least double in size during flower?

Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Back