Question about lowering PH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterheadduo

Toker 4 Life
Reaction score
This is probably a newbie question but I just started growing. I read thru the stickies and using a PH meter, I found that the PH level is too high. I discovered that the main cause of this is possibly my water because it's reading the same PH level as the soil. Is it possible for me to lower the PH level in the soil just by using distilled water or do I need to buy some dolomite lime? If I need to buy the lime, how exactly do I mix this in the soil without causing harm to the plant or having to transplant it?

The plant is almost 3 weeks old. I have already transplanted it into a larger pot about a week ago. The setup up is a standard closet with Gro Light flourescence lights about 2 inches from the top of the plant. I used Miracle Gro potting soil. I have not added anything to the plant yet since it's so young. I water it whenever the soil feels dry, usually every day. I use plain ole tap water at the moment.

If you need any more info in order to help me, let me know. Thank you to everyone for your help.

First off,what are your ph soil and water readings please?

If the level is too high it means it is too alkaline rather than acidic so any adjustment will be down and is done with nitric acid solution for vegging plants and phosphoric acid when in flower.

Just get some PH down and adjust your water with it, any kind will be fine for vegg or flower.

You could mix in a bit of dolomite lime in the top couple inches of soil, dolomite breaks down slow so it could help the PH of your runoff over time.

Yes, the pH Up and pH down products are good.

If you're runoff pH is exactly the same as the water that you're watering with, maybe you got an inaccurate reading on your runoff? Is it possible that the water runs through so quickly that it doesn't have time to assimilate the ions from the soil, thereby giving you an inaccurate reading? I've had that happen to me, I believe.

Some people use tap water, but often times it has too many dissolved solids in it. You only have one plant; it shouldn't cost too much money to buy either reverse osmosis water or distilled water. I use distilled water that I buy from the water vending machine. It costs 20 cents per gallon where I live. I'm drinking some now, and for some reason it tastes better than it usually tastes. This batch tastes great.

Our PH level is close to 8 in the soil and in our tap water. I'm not sure which would result in a faster lowering of the PH level, using distilled water or buying a nitric solution. I'm worried about taking too long because the plant has lost a lot of it's color and the leaves are drooping pretty bad. We have 3 other plants, so buying distilled water may get expensive. Please tell me what's the best and least expensive solution. Thank you so much for the replies.

I used distilled white vinegar to lower my PH, some dont like using it, I grew a plant for 8 months using it, but then again I was growing in a greenhouse in the ground, not in a pot.

waterheadduo said:
Our PH level is close to 8 in the soil and in our tap water. I'm not sure which would result in a faster lowering of the PH level, using distilled water or buying a nitric solution. I'm worried about taking too long because the plant has lost a lot of it's color and the leaves are drooping pretty bad. We have 3 other plants, so buying distilled water may get expensive. Please tell me what's the best and least expensive solution. Thank you so much for the replies.

Distilled water is water that has had the dissolved solids removed. The pH will probably be around 7, which is still too high.

Here is a chart that may help you--it shows nutrient uptake at different pH levels.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1833&d=1141100090

Well we went to Home Depot and couldn't find any PH down solutions, unless that's what the fertilizers are for. In that case, I had no clue which one to get. This is really my first time growing anything. We found some dolomite lime and mixed that in the top of the soil. I will get some distilled water tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get better results with the lime. I'm worried about our little plant. She is loosing a lot of color and drooping pretty bad, so I hope it's not too late for the lime. Any other suggestions? Thanks to everyone who has posted.

Well I think we lost poor Gertrude. I'm starting to think the transplant is what did her in because our other three plants are doing fine. Live and learn I guess. Thanks to everyone for trying to help us save her and wish it was a success.

If you were watering everyday that is most likely what did Gertrude in.jmo

the reason for using distilled water,is the tds in it.its way lower than most tap water.the ph should not be an issue.you adjust your ph to the range you desire.

andy52 said:
the reason for using distilled water,is the tds in it.its way lower than most tap water.the ph should not be an issue.you adjust your ph to the range you desire.

Can anyone tell me where do I get the solution that adjusts the ph level in the water? I didn't see anything like that at Home Depot. Thanks for the help.

depends on your area. I use ph down from General Hydroponics. You may have to order it online if you don't have any hydro shops around you. IMO

Good luck

waterheadduo said:
Can anyone tell me where do I get the solution that adjusts the ph level in the water? I didn't see anything like that at Home Depot. Thanks for the help.

Pool supplies, pet stores, hydro shops. Probably wont be with the plant foods.

Latest posts

Back