Oh ya! got me some goodies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

next

Reaction score
Hey MP,

So I have been thinking and I think it would be awesome to try an outdoor, organic, autoflower plant or two, or five who knows :D

I just made a trip to a huge garden store and scored a bunch of goodeis that are not usually available to me. Have a looky
View attachment goodies.jpg

I also have the following

Green Earth - Bone meal 4-10-0
Algamin Kelp Meal 1-0-2
Buffaloam Compost 1-1-1
EWC
Azomite
Dolomite Lime
Bale of Pro-mix HP
Bale of Pro-Mix Organic vegetable and herb mix
a bunch of egg shells
-------------
Just purchased shown above in pic

Gaia - Glacial Rock Dust
Iron - 3.28%
Magnesium - 0.846%
Manganese - 0.0536%
Cobalt - 0.0012%

Green Earth - Granular Gypsum
Calcium Sulfate 67%
Calcium 18%
Sulfur 13%
Magnesium 1%

Nursery Land - Mushroom Compost
1-1-1

Scotts - Gardener's blend organic compost
0.08 - 0.01 - 0.06

Dutch Treat - Real McCoy Organic Granular Fertilizer
View attachment 3.jpgView attachment 1.jpgView attachment 2.jpg

Seems like interesting stuff, there was only a few bags left on the pallet. Looked like a hot item so I grabbed a bag. I have alot of veggies and flowers to plant as well, so I figured it was better to have more choices than not enough. I think if its organic it has to be good, well that may not be true, but it can't be bad! :aok:

Maybe it will grow some ballin peppers

Mojo for the grow Next!!! looks like some good ammendments.. Go easy on them, don't want to burn anything.

Looks great ! Would check out if i can grab a bag or two from there.

Green mojo next, always love to see outdoor grows bro.

Thanks guys,

I'm a little nervous, i've never mixed up soil with amendments before. Other than adding some lime or azomite.

I was thinking of using the Real Mccoy as like the main nute supply. - I have no idea on this type of fertilizer, I can't find much about it because just so happens theres marjuana called Dutch Treat, as well as the Real Mccoy. Can't find any growers using this stuff, should I go with the recommended application rate of 1tbl/gal? That should do the plants good for veg, and then maybe supplement during flower?

Using the rock dust / gypsum / azomite for a nice mineral supply. - They have slight over lapping of minerals, should I still use them at the recommended rate of 1cup/ft3? Like 1 cup azomite, 1 cup gypsum, 1 cup rock dust for 1 cubic foot soil

As for the compost, I didn't buy alot of it, how much should I use to add organic content to the pro-mix? I was thinking maybe like.. 50%promix, 25%compost, 25%perlite with some ewc as well. Seens how I have the mushroom compost, and the scotts organic I was going to do like 12.5% of one and 12.5% of the other. Sound like it will work?

**edit** Read lots of good and bad about mushroom compost. Some say its a little hot, some say full of chemicals. Might have to save for the flower bed, any thoughts?

6 parts pro mix
2 parts perlite
2 parts ewc
2 parts mushroom compost

2tbl / gal dolomite

1tbl / gal bloodmeal 12-0-0

2tbl / gal bonemeal 4-10-0

1tbl / gal kelp meal 1-0-2

1tbl / gal greensand*** 0-0-0.1

1tbl / gal glacial rock dust
Iron - 3.28%
Magnesium - 0.846%
Manganese - 0.0536%
Cobalt - 0.0012%

1tbl / gal Azomite 0-0-.02 (Just re-checked the ingredients, and it says its .15% nitrogen, .002% phosphorus, and 4.19% potassium) Seems like alot of potassium, might lower the dose to 1tbl / gal.

1tbl / gal gypsum
Calcium Sulfate 67%
Calcium 18%
Sulfur 13%
Magnesium 1%

2tb / gal rock phosphate***

What do you guys think? Will this work?

You are going to let this cook for a while aren't you?

Are you following a recipe for super soil?

I took a gander through the Soil Mixes thread, used a little bit of one guys mix, and a little bit of anothers.. I got the majority of the ratio's from the first post on that thread, I think they called it "LC's Soilless Mix", it had ratio's for the Bone, Blood, Kelp, Greensand, and Dolomite.

I looked at the ratio's others were using, and came up with the 2tbl/gal rock phosphate, and the gypsum as well.

**Do you think my current grow is suffering from tooo much azomite? The 4.2% potassium caught me off guard, I thought that azomite didn't contain any n-p-k to speak of. Potassium toxicity makes the plant unable to use calcium, sulfur, iron, and magnesium. I think I can see these problems with my clones, I used 2 tbl/gal of azomite in the soil**

Did i see a Scotts product? Shame on you. Just playen.

It was $3! Says it shouldn't be used in containers, I haven't used any of it. I just got it because it was cheap as dirt. I bet it will grow a decent tomato, just sayen :D

*I'm going to leave out the greensand, because of the kelp, and azomite*
*Should I leave out the rock phosphate as well, because there is the bone meal?*

Do you have a recipe or are you flying by the seat of your pants?

Long ago, I was told Mushroom compost was a no no for Mj. Does anyone remember Hick saying that? Never even heard of Glacial Rock Dust. Wonder where they harvest that, Alaska? Glacial rock dust turns the glacial rivers of alaska a creamy grey blue color.

Good luck to you, looks like you got some good stuff there.

Do you have a recipe or are you flying by the seat of your pants?

Little bit of both.. riding on the shoulders of giants, while flying by the seat of my pants. Thats what am doin :)

--------------------------
"LC's Soiless Mix #2:
6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up)
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

RECIPE #1
If you want to use organic nutes like blood, bone and kelp...
Dry Ferts:
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potasium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.
Mix all the dry ferts into the soiless mix well and wet it, but don't soak it with Liquid Karma and water @ 1 tbs./gal. Stir and mix it a few times a week for a week or two so the bacteria can get oxygen and break down the bone meal and make it available. And don't let the mix dry out, keep it moist and add water as needed. It'll also have time to get the humic acids in the Liquid Karma going and the dolomite lime will be better able to adjust the pH of a peat based mixture too."
----------------------------------------------

Minus the fact that I don't have liquid karma. As for the rock phosphates, rock dust, and gypsum. I was just sorta using general use rates, based upon what others are using in their mixes. As for the Azomite I was and still am flying by the seat of my pants, i've heard people say the more the merrier, but others use like 1/2 cup for 6 bags of soil.. sooo not too sure.

"High Dog's method:

Organic Pro-mix Recipe

blood meal-1 cup per cubic foot of potting soil.
steamed bone meal-1 cup per cubic foot of potting soil.
rock phosphate--1 cup per cubic foot of potting soil.
fine dolomite lime at the rate of about 1 1/2 cups per cubic foot
kelp meal at about 2/3 cup per cubic foot."

"Random method:

1 cubic foot of soil is equal to 7.48 Gallons. That’s the conversion I used to make the chart. Here’s my recipe if you want to take a peek.

Vegetative Per Gallon of Soil, mixed in before planting.
2 Tablespoons - Bat Guano (10-3-1)
2 Tablespoons - Bone Meal (3-15-0)
2 Tablespoons - Green Sand (0-0-3)
3 Tablespoons - Kelp Meal (1-0.1-2)
1 Tablespoons - Blood Meal (13-0-0)
2 Tablespoons - Gypsum
15% of soil mix Worm Castings
25% - 35% of soil mix Perlite"
----------------------------------
So far I have added the promix/ewc/mushroom compost/perlite, and I have added the bonemeal, bloodmeal, kelp, dolomite lime, rock dust, azomite. I haven't added the gypsum, green sand, and rock phosphate.

Long ago, I was told Mushroom compost was a no no for Mj. Does anyone remember Hick saying that? Never even heard of Glacial Rock Dust. Wonder where they harvest that, Alaska? Glacial rock dust turns the glacial rivers of alaska a creamy grey blue color.

Good luck to you, looks like you got some good stuff there.

I've heard mixed results about the mushroom compost as well, but it has alot of the things that my pro-mix is lacking, like humus!! I figured if you can make mushroom compost tea, it must not be that bad of stuff. I did double up because LC's Mix says to use EWC or Mushroom compost, and I used both :O

View attachment 20150617_125011.jpg

Do I need to inoculate the soil with bacteria, or does the EWC do that for me?

Little bit of both.. riding on the shoulders of giants, while flying by the seat of my pants. Thats what am doin :)

--------------------------
"LC's Soiless Mix #2:
6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up)
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

RECIPE #1
If you want to use organic nutes like blood, bone and kelp...
Dry Ferts:
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potasium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.
Mix all the dry ferts into the soiless mix well and wet it, but don't soak it with Liquid Karma and water @ 1 tbs./gal. Stir and mix it a few times a week for a week or two so the bacteria can get oxygen and break down the bone meal and make it available. And don't let the mix dry out, keep it moist and add water as needed. It'll also have time to get the humic acids in the Liquid Karma going and the dolomite lime will be better able to adjust the pH of a peat based mixture too."

Minus the fact that I don't have liquid karma. As for the rock phosphates, rock dust, and gypsum. I was just sorta using general use rates, based upon what others are using in their mixes. As for the Azomite I was and still am flying by the seat of my pants, i've heard people say the more the merrier, but others use like 1/2 cup for 6 bags of soil.. sooo not too sure.

"High Dog's method:

Organic Pro-mix Recipe

blood meal-1 cup per cubic foot of potting soil.
steamed bone meal-1 cup per cubic foot of potting soil.
rock phosphate--1 cup per cubic foot of potting soil.
fine dolomite lime at the rate of about 1 1/2 cups per cubic foot
kelp meal at about 2/3 cup per cubic foot."

"Random method:

1 cubic foot of soil is equal to 7.48 Gallons. That’s the conversion I used to make the chart. Here’s my recipe if you want to take a peek.

Vegetative Per Gallon of Soil, mixed in before planting.
2 Tablespoons - Bat Guano (10-3-1)
2 Tablespoons - Bone Meal (3-15-0)
2 Tablespoons - Green Sand (0-0-3)
3 Tablespoons - Kelp Meal (1-0.1-2)
1 Tablespoons - Blood Meal (13-0-0)
2 Tablespoons - Gypsum
15% of soil mix Worm Castings
25% - 35% of soil mix Perlite"
----------------------------------
So far I have added the promix/ewc/mushroom compost/perlite, and I have added the bonemeal, bloodmeal, kelp, dolomite lime, rock dust, azomite. I haven't added the gypsum, green sand, and rock phosphate.

Why would you do just a gallon of soil mixture? Do a big bunch (several cubic feet) and then let it cook. I would think that small amounts lkike gallons would have a hard time creating enough heat to cook these ingredients you have put into it. I would also recommend adding some mycorrhizial (sp) to get things kick started. I would think a minimum of 4 weeks and more would probably be better to let things cook. This is not going to be ready for quite a while.

I also would not use 35% perlite. There is such a thing as too much perlite. I don't believe I would go over 25% max.

Next, i think you need to slow down and breathe. I don't mean this in a you are stupid way at all, but you could have bought fox farm soil for all that stuff and you wouldn't have any worry. I see you're vacillating between water and dirt... Figure out what you want. Organics is not easy. You don't get to just add stuff without knowing what you're adding and what it does.
I like your enthusiasm, but i see a disappointing result for you if not a lot of stress trying to fix a sick plant. Think about what you want to end up with. What is your goal?

Why would you do just a gallon of soil mixture? Do a big bunch (several cubic feet) and then let it cook. I would think that small amounts lkike gallons would have a hard time creating enough heat to cook these ingredients you have put into it. I would also recommend adding some mycorrhizial (sp) to get things kick started. I would think a minimum of 4 weeks and more would probably be better to let things cook. This is not going to be ready for quite a while.

I also would not use 35% perlite. There is such a thing as too much perlite. I don't believe I would go over 25% max.

Thanks for the reply THG,

The mix is currently, 3parts promix, 1part ewc, 1 part mushroom compost, 1 part perlite. Not sure on how much perlite is in the pro-mix but I should be at about 25% give or take.

I mixed up about 10 gallons worth, I have either myco-madness or Plant Success Soluble that I could add, but the pro-mix does claim to have myco's in it.

I am using tupperwares to mix/hold the dirt, they are 60 liters, is that enough mass? Also, will it "cook" if left in a 63' basement?

Latest posts

Back