First grow ever, White Widow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First Time Caller

Reaction score
As you can see from the pics, I germinated three WW seeds and six freebies using the white paper towel, water and baggie method. Notice the root curl. The three WW's in the pic were germinated for 20 hours in the dark with temps of 76F and humidity of 65ish. As of right now, 4 of the 6 freebies have germinated with the remaining two still in the paper towel and baggie.

All the germinated seeds are now planted in a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Light Warrior watered with distilled water and tucked away in 76 degree darkness awaiting them to break the surface.:watchplant: I'm planning on playing with the freebies and treating the WW's with some serious tlc

Better get to putting the finishing touches on my growbox

beanresize.jpg

trayresize.jpg

the chef said:
NOooo give them light.

That is a statement I have seen different answers to, some say no light until they break the surface, others say light as soon as you plant. I'm open to suggestions, advice, brow beating.....I have the ability to "light em up".

light will help them come up 2 the light faster
ive tryed both ways and i always have sprouts faster with the lights on it
days faster

In case you didn't know, WW is extremely sensitive to nutes - there are several threads here about it :). Good luck :). I love my WW even though I over nuted them.

Just my opinion go ahead and light em up. You have a much faster start. Good luck and green thoughts be with ya!

tattooedhygrow said:
light will help them come up 2 the light faster
ive tryed both ways and i always have sprouts faster with the lights on it
days faster

Thanks to you and Chef....under lights as we speak

In about 2 days take those plastic things off of them and get a fan blowing on low near them, not directly on them, but angle it so you see them flutter just a bit. This will make the stems stronger.

Two of the WWs broke ground during the night last night:) so the simulated greenhouse covers came off. The max temp in my grow box last night was 79.8F. I also came to the conclusion the remaining two freebie seeds from Amsterdam were not going to germinate so the final germination take is 3/3 WW and 4/6 freebies. As I said, these are planted in a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Light Warrior. Gotta do a little more work on my grow box today to complete the final touches . I'm coming out with about 4800 lumens psf with a combination of 5500K and 2700K. I came up with a vertical box separator so I can expand the box as the plants grow and only use the light that is required to keep my coverage at the 4800 number. Let the grow begin!!

beans003resize.jpg

beans005resize.jpg

I recently planted seeds in early September and some seeds (from same mother and father) came up in two days, some in 4 days, some even 7 days later. Don't dismiss them just yet. Give them up to 10 day to be sure.

ah... i remember my first grow with white widow... :48:
the taste was so amazing! and it was all mine...
Good Luck and Green Mojo to ya, FTC.
i'm pulling up a chair. :watchplant:

Strawberry Cough said:
I recently planted seeds in early September and some seeds (from same mother and father) came up in two days, some in 4 days, some even 7 days later. Don't dismiss them just yet. Give them up to 10 day to be sure.

Hey SC, the two I were referring to not germinating were in wet paper towels. I popped them open, definitely DOA. Man, these WW's do some growing, all three have broke ground on day 2. For entertainment, I could just about sit in front of them and watch them grow!! "excitin stuff":hubba:

beans019resize.jpg

ishnish said:
Good Luck and Green Mojo to ya, FTC.
i'm pulling up a chair. :watchplant:

Thanks for MO ishnish.

Day two after planting my three white widows and four freebies shows all 7 have broke ground:D. As you can see I've got the 5700k cfl's 12" away, until the new spouts get a little more established, then down to 4".

Now time to sit back....move that chair over ish....and watch these babies do their thing....come on ladies

beans024resize.jpg

beans025resize.jpg

:48:
hehe... them W's look like well drawn breasts... :hubba:
or if you turn em sideways it'll be 33!

Here's what the white widows look like after 20 hours of white paper towel germination and being in the dirt for only 4 days!! I have now lowered the cfl's down to 3" above the leaves and am on the 24/0 light schedule. The lights will remain up close and personal and they will get distilled water as the ffof/light warrior mix dries out, in order to go for good root development.

The current conditions in my grow box are 76F and 47% humidity. Had a dream last night all the ww's turned out fems along with 3 of the 4 freebies......we'll see:hubba:.

Thanks for all the info on MP, it certainly let me get a head's up on pre grow research. Now that it looks like I have a successful start, I'll probably post weekly progress, unless something happens but, I'm thinking now it's just time for.......:watchplant:

beans035resize.jpg

beans039resize.jpg

After the initial excitement of having my beans break surface last Friday, I've settled in to sitting back and :watchplant:.....ok, several times a day:hubba: As I've got a pretty much run of the mill cheap grow box, CFLs, tried and true FFOF/Light Warrior mix I'll probably post weekly shots each Friday to document the grow. I moved the lights down to about 2". The plants seem to really like that distance and don't seem to be stretching too much in search of light from all the CFLs. If things continue well, I'll thinking of going HPS for flowering.....we'll see...

In the first pic you can see the progress of the WW's in four days, compared to the close up pic in the post above. The next three shots are pics of my three WW's. These three broke ground one week ago today.

The fifth pic is one of the freebies from Amsterdam......have no idea what it is but I'll probably do some pinching, topping, whatever with these four freebies as learning lessons for me, after reading as much as I can on this site.

The sixth pic shows all seven just before getting their watering, after letting the mix dry out a bit. If they hold true to form, they will thrive after getting a good watering, just enough to let water seep out the drain holes. Temps are holding pretty much 74-76F with lights on 24/0.

More pics to come next Friday, same bat time, same bat place (I'm showing my age with that statement):eek: Hopefully, next week will be as successful as this last week.....come on girls....do your thing

beans043resize.jpg

beans060resize.jpg

beans045resize.jpg

beans041resize.jpg

beans048resize.jpg

beans053resize.jpg

ArtVandolay said:
In case you didn't know, WW is extremely sensitive to nutes - there are several threads here about it :). Good luck :). I love my WW even though I over nuted them.

Thanks man, the only thing I am doing right now is watering with distilled water and no nutes at all. I'm planning on going with a 1/3 strength FF Tiger Bloom as my initial nute. So for right now......no nutes is good nutes;)

Trafic said:
fan blowing on low near them, not directly on them, but angle it so you see them flutter just a bit. This will make the stems stronger.

Yep, got a fan blowing on them with an exhaust fan removing any heat buildup.

I wasn't going to post anything until Friday as, like I said, I have a pretty run of the mill Home Depot grow box but I couldn't resist.

Yesterday mid afternoon I transplanted my three white widows, along with my four freebies, from the three inch containers to one gallon containers. I mixed the initial FF mix 50/50 ocean forest and light warrior, to avoid initial nute burn. I decided to go 5/1 ocean forest/light warrior in the one gallon containers to get more nutes but still thin the mix out some. I was thinking I would find a little wilting due to transplant stress this morning but.....look what these things did over night. I don't know if it's a typical grow surge, they like the larger containers, like the additional nutes or a combination of all but these girls (hopefully) took off over night. These are 9 days post breaking ground and one day after transplant. The three white widows are on the left of the box. The remaining four freebies which were plant one day later than the ww's round out the box.

The first pic is the root development on a freebie that would be 8 days post breaking the ground. Notice just how much it had filled up the 3" container.

Pics 2 & 3 are of the same white widow in the above post pics 1 thru 3. Look how much growth has taken place from Friday morning to Monday morning:holysheep: I'm liken it!!

I did a little rearranging of my CFL's to accommodate the one gallon containers. I now have 12 5700K cfls above with 6 2700K cfl on the side walls giving me 4550 lumens per sq. foot (2ft x 3ft) on a 24/0 cycle.

Sorry, just couldn't hold off showing the change form Friday to Monday. Talk to ya Friday with an update.

beans064resize.jpg

beans071resize.jpg

beans066resize.jpg

beans070resize.jpg

looking good there caller looking good some green mojo for ya

J Cakes said:
looking good there caller looking good some green mojo for ya

Thanks for the mo J Cakes, I have checked out your journal, first grow, cfls...I can use all the reading I can with this being my first grow.

Question, can you wear these plants out by watching them too much;)??

Time for another trip down to the grow box to check the....temp, yea that's it..time to check the temps:D

Latest posts

Back