First grow ever, White Widow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo Ho First Time Caller,

Yeppers, You are hooked, and I think you got it bad too. LOL:rofl:
Didn't anyone warn you about growing ? Oh- my goodness, I too am caught up in it, and a charter member of hooked on grows...

There is no escape, resistance is futile, Try hard not to put up a hammock in there with them. Also you should know that females are ladies that can snare you right from the git-go. With long sighs you will follow their maturing, gently caring for them all the way, but also you need to be aware that sometimes a male can find his way in there with them:hubba: and he needs to die.
When I caught my first male in with my ladies, I was gentle with the ladies watching, but when I got him well away from the girls I broke his arms, ripped off his gonads, and then I burnt his butt, heck I even got rid of his home as a warning to other would be usurpers. :holysheep:

Be ever so careful with your W/W as they ARE nute sensitive. Don't get lulled into thinking that they are doing real good, and you start to think a bit more in ferts would be ok, cause the nute burn will show it's ugly head when you flip them to 12/12, weird I know, but that has happened to me so just be cautious.
Here is some GREEN MOJO
for your gals
th_GreenMoJo 1.JPG

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

th_GreenMoJo 1.JPG

KingKahuuna said:
Yo Ho First Time Caller,

Yeppers, You are hooked, and I think you got it bad too. LOL:rofl:

Be ever so careful with your W/W as they ARE nute sensitive.
KingKahuuna:cool:
Hah KK, yep, guilty as charged:eek: As for any males that dare co-habitat with my girls, they will suffer a quick trip to the gallows.....off with the head!!

Seems your comments confirm everything else I have read about WW and nute burn.

I'm taking dirtyolsouth's recommendation and switched over to 5:1 Foxfarm ocean forest/light warrior mix after they got some good root development in the 50/50 mix.

My plan, unless someone steers me differently, is to only feed the girls distilled water during veg in the FF mix. I'm thinking maybe 4 weeks before they get any Tiger Bloom, and then only starting with a a 1/3 strength mixture every 2nd. or 3rd watering. I'll switch to Big Bloom during flowering.

If need be....steer me different....I'm all ears

ishnish said:
:watchplant:
:48:

Thanks for the smoke ish....back atcha :48:anybody else want a hit?

Just checked the temps and had my morning look at the girls...looks like they had a good night and awoke to temps of 74.8F.

The four freebies from Amsterdam are taking on a look of their own. It looks like I have 1 sativa and 2 indicas. The fourth one came out of the soil with two main sprouts and appears to struggling mightily, I'm thinking it's stressed enough that herm is in it's future.

I rearranged the lighting yesterday, as I didn't like the layout after I transplanted into the 1 gallon pots. I'll post the pics of the freebies and the white widows Friday.

The white widows already have a smell of their own. Gotta get close to them to smell it, but the smell is there.

Hum, wonder if they've done anything in the last 2 hours......:watchplant:

Hey just a thought... if you get sick of the flags sticking outta the soil just use some blue painters tape and u can put it on the pot and remove whenever.... just looks like they will be in you way at some point...

I like the design of the cabinet.. I will be following

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
Hey just a thought... if you get sick of the flags sticking outta the soil just use some blue painters tape and u can put it on the pot and remove whenever.... just looks like they will be in you way at some point...

Yep, good call. I'll do that. RP, thanks for stopping by.

Here are shots from exactly two weeks since my white widows broke ground and 13 days since my Amsterdam freebies stuck their heads out.

The first pic two pics are the same ww in picture three of post 16, taken exactly one week ago. I'm liking the grow. Pics 3 & 4 show the nice stem growth up close on the ww's. Pics 5 & 6 show the comparison of the ww on the right and what looks like a Indica strain from the three mystery freebies seeds on the left. Notice the shortly, fatter leaves on the one on the left (picture really doesn't do the difference justice). In the second picture, you can see the noticeable difference in height. The last pic shows how I have rearranged my lights. I took the 6 2700k cfl's off the side walls and put them in the middle socket of each power strip.

Now the quandary....I am seriously thinking of switching to HPS for flowering. I can get a nice switchable ballast system from the grow shop in MH and buy a 400W HPS bulb for the same price I could get the same complete light system for in HPS. Thus, getting a MH bulb for what really comes out to be free. Decisions...Decisions....I could just swap out bulbs in the house with these cfls.........

Comments....

:holysheep:somebody talk me out of buying the light now!! :eek:

beans076resize.jpg

beans096resize.jpg

beans089resize.jpg

beans091resize.jpg

beans087resize.jpg

beans088resize.jpg

beans078resize.jpg

I forgot to post the pic of my mutant morph. This freebie broke the ground with two main stalks. As you can see, he, it, herm has struggled mightily and the first time I need the space it gets the boot. I'd like to think this is automatic topping but :cool:....

Anybody had one of these morphs fem?

beans106resize.jpg

Today is exactly three weeks since these beans broke ground. I really watered them down last Sunday and I believe the combination of overwatering and getting the lights a little too close burnt the tips of some of the new growth at the top of the plants. I can see the balancing act, using CFL's, between keeping the lights close enough to keep the nodes tight, and not too far away to inhibit stretching, is a fine line. With that said, I am happy with the closeness of the nodes.

The first three pics are a couple of the white widows. The fourth picture is my little mutant that came up with double mains. It struggled for the longest time then seemed to hits it's stride. As you can see I tied it down hoping to get more bud locations. The fifth picture shows the grow box. The white widows are in the back with the Amsterdam freebies in the front. You can see the difference in height and leaf width between the front row and the ww's in the back. Definitely Indicas up front. I gave the indicas a 1/2 strength solution of foxfarm Grow Big at the last watering. They seem to have really liked that drink. I'm going to hold off nuting the white widows a little longer due to their nute sensitivity.

Temps are holding at at a high of 78F with the ph 6.8/6.9.

Back to :watchplant:

beans155resize.jpg

beans156resize.jpg

beans157resize.jpg

beans148resize.jpg

beans150resize.jpg

looking sweet ftc, when you introduce nutes just remember to go easy and diluted, then generally increase. Your just like i am as far as paying attention to your ladies except fer me the newness has worn off.....hold on i think i saw a leaf get bigger......and you realize that other things outside of your grow room.....one second, need to check grow box temps....I'll check back ltr.:p :D

the chef said:
looking sweet ftc, hold on i think i saw a leaf get bigger......and you realize that other things outside of your grow room.....one second, need to check grow box temps....I'll check back ltr.:p :D

Hah Chef, which one got bigger?????????? It has been fun to watch them, but realize I'm wearing the green off of them looking at them.:eek::D

See ya over at the candy grow journal, I've got my three "micro" containers sitting in front of me as we speak

Here ya go, comin atcha:48:

:48: got it here right back at ya:48: already posted my first pics in the candy grow, i got two entries! Gl amd can't wait to see more.:beatnik:

You guys are cracking me up.....I was laughing so hard that a piece of food came out my nose, I sneezed and food got all over the key board.
All cleaned up now....much better.
Great job First Time.... your girls are about a week behind my WW. I've been watching yours almost as closely as my own.
I had some PH issues and ended up in ICU (Sick Plants Section) but once I got that going in the right direction they seem much better.
I will be watching your nutrient intake on those widows closely.
This being my very first indoor grow as well I opted to stick to dirt nutes, could be a mistake, not sure. I guess we'll see when I flip them here in a week or so.
Are your seeds AMS seeds? And are they Fems?
Thanks for sharing. I'll be wearing the green off of with ya......looks like we could both be smoking them at about the same time.
Grow White Widows Grow!
Peace!
Mike
Droopy White Widow

I am a confirmed white widow fan! I had no idea they were nute sensitive and fed mine lots and lots of nutes outdoors. My girls were in 12 gal and 40 gal. pots. Never showed any nute burn on the leaves at all. Weird. Mine came from G13. The aroma is beyond words. Best of luck to you. Here's what it said with my bean. They are not kidding about the high yield.:eek:

G13 Labs White Widow Feminized

Feminised Indica/Sativa
Flowering: 50 - 65 days
Yield: High
Height: 110 - 150 cm
The White Widow is one of the most if not the most famous names in the world of cannabis seeds strains. While this is partly due to her memorable name, speed, yield and stunningly ultra-thick resin coating have a lot more to do with it! A Mostly-Indica strain, with sweet, strong, acrid smoke that imparts a hammering stone:eek:

mikeybtoken said:
You guys are cracking me up.....
Great job First Time.... your girls are about a week behind my WW. I've been watching yours almost as closely as my own.
I had some PH issues and ended up in ICU (Sick Plants Section) but once I got that going in the right direction they seem much better.
I will be watching your nutrient intake on those widows closely.

Thanks for sharing. I'll be wearing the green off of with ya......looks like we could both be smoking them at about the same time.
Grow White Widows Grow!
Peace!
Mike
Droopy White Widow

Welcome aboard Mike. Seems like mine have had a great week. I did have a little yellowing issue last week that I am certain was a result of N deficiency. As N is transferable within a plant, that is why is was present in the large lower leaves. I feed them a good dose of 35-40% foxfarm Big Grow along with a 70% mix of Big Bloom, which is simply an supplement. They really, really liked this mix for an initial feed. I transplanted into 3 gallon (11.2L) containers.

The big news for this week is the weather. I was able to bring them out of the grow box, with artificial light, and give them some time in a controlled greenhouse environment. Temp in the greenhouse is maintained at 76F(24-25C) with humidity at 31%. Mother Nature cooperated as they were able to get about 7-8 hours of true, controlled, sunlight per day for 4 days.

As you can see the comparison between the first pic, which was taken last Friday (also see post #29) and the second one. Needless to say, the growth was "obvious":hubba: They literally doubled in height and width, are showing some alternating nodes and two of the three white widows are now showing pistils. You can see the pics of the pistils in this thread: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48743 . The next two pics are of the twin girls out in the greenhouse enjoying the natural light.

Since the greenhouse is somewhat more subject to insects than inside, I did see a couple of green aphids only on the indicas. These were caught quickly and eradicated with a sesame oil/fish oil Organocide. If you do see these, treat them for a couple of days, as they are literally born pregnant.

Mike, as for nutes, I'll feed them about every third watering (they were drinking madly last week with all the growth....I water by pot weight) with Grow Big and do it merely by how the plants look and what they seem to want.

I'm going to redo the lights in the growbox today. Since they are showing pistils, are now 16-17" and showing some alternating nodes (remember, these have been under 24/7 lights) I'm switching them over to 12/12 today. I'll pull the 5500K light and switch over to 2700K for flowering.

Hey Chef.......there were some leaves that showed growth last week:D

For anyone who shows up here....:48:

beans154resize.jpg

beans200resize.jpg

beans192resize.jpg

beans191resize.jpg

420benny said:
I am a confirmed white widow fan! I had no idea they were nute sensitive and fed mine lots and lots of nutes outdoors. My girls were in 12 gal and 40 gal. pots. Never showed any nute burn on the leaves at all. Weird. Mine came from G13. The aroma is beyond words. Best of luck to you. Here's what it said with my bean. They are not kidding about the high yield.:eek:

Thanks for stopping by Benny, sounds like you had a good grow. You are right, the smell from the grow box is intoxicating to say the least. Fingers crossed that same "high yield":D

mikeybtoken said:
Y

Grow White Widows Grow!
Peace!
Mike
Droopy White Widow

Mike, my bad, I didn't answer your other question. My plain ol white widow seeds are from Amsterdam and are not feminized. As you can see in the thread I have reference in my other post, I germinated three white widows. It looks like I'll end up with 2 of the 3 being fems. Time to pamper the girls and when the time comes....send the male to gallows!!

Here's shots of the grow box after I redid it this morning for flowering. I replaced the 5500K with 2700K and added 8 more bulbs around the wall of the grow box. The girls hit the darkness at 7PM this evening for the first time. The third shot is a pic of the grow box with the indicas (which haven't shown sex yet) added back, along with my three candy grows.

Come on smoke!!

beans208resize.jpg

beans210resize.jpg

beans211resize.jpg

TOU FLIPPED EM! NICE! Dude they are growing like crazy!!! Some of mine grew almost two inches last night, that's after being topped about three days ago.
So you went from 24/7 straight to 12/12?
I can hardly wait... I'll be about a week behind you.
Your plants look just like my girls. Heck I guess they very well could be sisters? They look great I can't wait to see them bud, great job.
I was thinking about trying Advanced Nutrients on my third run. Maybe I'll try Fox Farms First, so please keep updating us on that stuff.

Hey 420
How tall did your WW get out doors?
I'll check back soon......PEACE!
Mike

mikeybtoken said:
TOU FLIPPED EM! NICE! Dude they are growing like crazy!!!

They are...they really, really, really like the greenhouse this past week!! Sounds like your's are also.

Yep, I flipped them straight from 24/7 to 12/12 last night. When the lights flipped back on this monring, they were no worse for wear:hubba:

The "stank" is sweet:holysheep:

Latest posts

Back