First grow ever, White Widow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikeybtoken said:
What's Up Firstime
Sound like we have been doing the same things. I have been messing with my flower room for days now,
FF
Which reminds me my freebies are truning out to be some crazy looking plants, I will post some pics this AM over at my grow.
Did you start some or do you have some already in veg? Just curious to what
yours are looking like?

Later FT

Hey toker, you've been busy man. I'll post some pics Friday of what I've done this week. Suffice to say, I now have a HPS flower box along with my original CFL veg light system. I had the temps nailed with the CFL's during veg but after switching over to 12/12 and HPS I've been working out the kinks of keeping the temps in the flowering box stable during the 30 degree nights. As in my grow box is in the unheated garage. Ended up unventing the HPS during the day and adding a ceramic heater to the grow box along with a kerosene heater on the other side of the garage, to knock the chill off the garage temps. I will say, the HPS has done some serious bud kicking:holysheep:

I'm with you on the ww, they have been mirror images of each other and other than being careful not to over nute, they have been very predictable. Man, what about that absolutely fantastic smell of the white widows? If they smoke anywhere near as nice as they smell....:p

My freebies were all stubby indicas. Two were definitely male, one came up with two mains and other looked to me like it had both male and fem traits. I see why they were freebies;) I'm going to veg some come March and throw them outside. I'll probably take a couple of these ww and grow them outside come spring, just to see how big they will get.

Dang, typed a boatload....all with a nicely developing after work buzz:D

Grow on all, smoke be with ya.

A shot of my newly remodeled grow box. It is now 7' tall, hinged door with a new Yield Master II reflector and 400W Hortilux bulb for flowering. I currently have the light unvented to get the heat I want in the grow box and 13" from the cola.

I'm switching over to Tiger Bloom 50%, 100% Big Bloom for today's watering. This is after three different feedings of max 50% Big Grow during vegging and the first two weeks of flowering.

"Buds a formin":D and the girls are liking the HPS:hubba:

beans275resuze.jpg

lookin awesome FTC :hubba: they will love that HPS! mojo for your ladies:D

Da weekly Friday pics are up:D Thanks for following gang and thanks for the input.

As you can see in the pics, and read from previous posts, I bit the bullet and switched over to 400W HPS Hortilux the beginning of this week. The girls LOVE it:holysheep: I have had a lot of popcorn sites pop up on the lower parts of the girls this week along with the buds sites really coming along nicely. I have been very, very conservative to not over nute the white widows so they may be coming along a little slower than some strains. I nuted with a 50% feeding of Tiger Bloom along with 100% strength Big Bloom yesterday. I anxious to see if they respond as well as they did with their first intro of Big Grow.

The pics don't show it well but the bud sites are nice and white with a lot of white pistils. The pics pick up the green reflections. The first two are just one of the many bud sites with the third being the cola on one of the girls. Fourth is my new grow box setup with the HPS unvented so I can take advantage of the heat. I currently am keeping the glass 13" from the top of the plants. The fifth pic show the temp F at mid plant and humidity at the grow box floor. My temps last night at mid growth were between 74F & 80F with most of the time right at 77F.

Nothing to do now but :watchplant:, not over nute or over water.

Smoke on. Somebody take this from me :48:before I get ignorant:D

beans281resize.jpg

beans290resize.jpg

beans284resize.jpg

beans293resize.jpg

beans294resize.jpg

sundancer245 said:
lookin awesome FTC :hubba: they will love that HPS! mojo for your ladies:D

Thanks dancer, yep they are really, really liking the HPS.....when the girls are happy, daddy is also happy:yay:

Opps.... I must have lost a post over here....stoned!!!
Anyway.....Nice new light FT I'm sure that it will do wonders for your plants. You have been a busy boy. I'm a little jeolous of your buds, and your CFL's
I have been thinking about your cost to veg with those vrs my MH. Especially with my new clones under my MH. I can't help but to think that I could save some $ on the ol electric bill using CFL's to start clones and then latter to add light to my flower room.
So........
How much do you have into those buggers?
Where did you get them?
What size/type of bulbs and fitting are you using?

Those things are bad ***, I have been really impressed with what you have done with them.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Peace
MBT

mikeybtoken said:
I have been thinking about your cost to veg with those vrs my MH. Especially with my new clones under my MH. I can't help but to think that I could save some $ on the ol electric bill using CFL's to start clones and then latter to add light to my flower room.

Those things are bad ***, I have been really impressed with what you have done with them.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Peace
MBT

Hey, MBT welcome again my friend. Yep, the girls are liking the HPS....like I said, when the girls are happy, daddy is happy:D You can see in the two pics, the bud sites have really popped up. The light penetration of the HPS is so much better than CFL's in flower. With that said, I really liked cloning and vegging under under CFL's. The ability to control the heat and the ability to keep the lights up close contributed to a nice tight growth. I ended up at final vegging using 18 27W CFL's with a combo of 12 5700K and 6 2700K for a total of 460+ watts and about 4500 psf lumens. I'm now burning a 400W HPS. I'm keeping my CFL setup for cloning and vegging, as opposed to buying another reflector with MH, but like the light penetration of the HPS for flowering. I got the bulbs from Lowes. When I compared the cost of all the CFL's, Y splitters, power strips, etc., the cost was not really that much less than the HPS.

The girls are now 37" tall at 2.5 weeks into flower.

Get those girls of yours into flower:hubba::D

Now to go check my candy grow.....

beans309resize.jpg

beans321resize.jpg

Yep you got buds my friend. WOW 37" See mine are 10" less than yours. Very compact, almost too much so???
Your girls look awesome and they are kicking some booty. The next several weeks is going to be a blast to watch. I am beside myself knowing what mine should look like yours in a couple of weeks. Or at least I hope so?
Whats up with this candy grow ......R U holding out on us....do show and tell. LOL

Thanks for sharring FT..... Off to Home Depot.
Latter MBT

mikeybtoken said:
Yep you got buds my friend. WOW 37" See mine are 10" less than yours. Very compact, almost too much so???

Thanks for sharring FT..... Off to Home Depot.
Latter MBT

Hey MBT, you want them nice and tight during vegging.....they will stretch during flower

Quick post to remind me when I watered with nutes. Gave the girls 50% Tiger Bloom, 100% Big Bloom this morning. Straight water next time.

The pic is of the girls out of the grow box getting ready to be feed. The taller one is 39" the shorter is 36". Hopefully pics on Friday of some very early trichs:hubba: Friday will be three weeks into flower, lots and lots of bud sites.

beans335resize.jpg

I was going to wait until Friday's update but since this is my grow journal...I might as well post things when I see them. Got trichs:D The 39" white widow is now showing trichs, the 36" looks to be about a day or two behind in showing trichs.

Today is 2.5 weeks into flower. It may be just a little frosty.........but I'm seeing the frost on the grass...an not outside!!

Hey Chef, is it getting time to start singing....frosty nugs or is too soon;)

If you are :watchplant: the frost develope, here hold this :bong1:

I am liking being able to grow my own :farm:, man why didn't I do this sooner, I would have had much better smoke, when I wanted it and a heck of a lot more fun.

beans337resize.jpg

beans338resize.jpg

beans339resize.jpg

beans341resize.jpg

beans343resize.jpg

dude i am asking myself that same question! why didnt i do this years ago! looking really good bro...knew you'd like that HPS :D

sundancer245 said:
dude i am asking myself that same question! why didnt i do this years ago! looking really good bro...knew you'd like that HPS :D
Parental Units from Home Origin did not comply with THC induction

:hubba:

OGKushman said:
Parental Units from Home Origin did not comply with THC induction

:hubba:

Funny stuff but I'm waaaay past the point of worrying about parental units but funny none the less:D

sundancer245 said:
knew you'd like that HPS :D

I'm telling you man, the girls like the HPS more than I ever would have thought. The number of bud sites is just over the top ridiculous.

If I didn't have to work, I'd be :bong: and :watchplant: :D

Funny stuff!
OHHH BABY!!! GROW BABY GROW!!!
Nice job FT They look great... I can only hope that mine look as good as yours here in a couple of weeks.
Man those girls are flat out bustin a move under your HPS. I see what your saying.
I can hardly wait for the smoke report on those babies.
Keep up the great work FT.

Peace MBT

PS
I just noticed on post 67 where you must have misunderstood which ones I still had in the veg room, I probably wasn't clear about it either. I went a week longer on my freebies to try to determin sex before I put them in flower with my WW.
My WW have been in Flower for 8 days today, I have you figured at 19-20 days today, so I am 11-12 days behind you.
My freebies started yesterday and are one week behind my WW
Anyway, I just wanted to clear up which ones where which.
I hope that makes sense.
Peace MBT

Thanks for stopping by MBT....uh, I can't wait to give a smoke report:hubba::D Sorry to hear all you "troubles" this past week. Hope all recover nicely.

Here are the shots at exacatacally three weeks under flower, 2.5 week of it is under the 400W HPS. I seem to now be at that stage where I :watchplant:and give them what they need, when they need it. The smaller of the two is definitely 3-4-5 days behind the taller one in starting to show trichs. It just started showing trichs yesterday on the cola and node just under the cola. I've read where some people remove the lower most popcorn sites in order to promote fuller bud site higher on the plant. I'm inclined to leave them, unless I can be convinced to do otherwise.

Not much difference but trich development is underway. Man, it is a great feeling while looking at those trichs, knowing they are going to rock my world:D.

Three weeks under flower, planted originally on 9/24, taller girl is 41" 104cm, the shorter girl is 39", 100cm

Weekend is here, time to :ccc::D

beans347resize.jpg

beans349resize.jpg

beans352resize.jpg

beans353resize.jpg

beans362resize.jpg

beans371resize.jpg

Hey FT, congratulations on your successful grow up to this point, going up to the 400w HPS for flowering will pay you back in green gold. I am on the eve of starting my first grow myself, White Russian beans from Serious Seeds, a cross of White Widow x AK-47. I was able to absorb some information by following this grow in regards to nute sensitivity etc.. of WW. May the green gods bless your grow with ridiculous flowers, the genetics are with you on this one.

GREEN GROW GO

Tact said:
Hey FT, congratulations on your successful grow up to this point, going up to the 400w HPS for flowering will pay you back in green gold. I am on the eve of starting my first grow myself, White Russian beans from Serious Seeds, a cross of White Widow x AK-47. I was able to absorb some information by following this grow in regards to nute sensitivity etc.. of WW. May the green gods bless your grow with ridiculous flowers, the genetics are with you on this one.

GREEN GROW GO

Thanks for stopping by Tact. Good luck with your WR grow. I am currently cruising the auto grow journals thinking my next is going to be auto fem White Dwarfs by Buddha along with Russian Rockets....but that will be another journal:D

I kept my nutes about two weeks behind the foxfarm pdf feeding schedule after I started 30% nutes at first. My first combo of Big Grow, Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom with be tomorrow.

I am keeping an eye on one of my ww's that may be swing both ways. I plucked a couple of growths off the plant...that you could only see with a 2X magnifying glass....yesterday. I'm really keeping a close eye on it.

As you can see, the trichs are really starting to show up even on the popcorn sites. Matter of fact, yesterday when I plucked the suspect growths, I also cut a popcorn site and quick dried it. It was actually a pretty good high, kind of a get off the couch and do something high. Actually much better than I thought it would be. I'm out of smoke right now, so anything was better than nothing;)

As far as using the HPS for flowering, yes it did make a difference but I am a fan of CFL's for the smaller grows, easy to regulate the heat and great for keeping the light close for some nice tight nodes.

The pics are of a popcorn site, mid growth and main cola.

Good luck with you upcoming grow and do not hesitate to ask questions, there's a wealth of experienced info on this site.

beans394resize.jpg

beans397resize.jpg

beans399resize.jpg

Latest posts

Back