MTF lives again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonJones

Reaction score
Here are 3 pictures of my Matenuska Thunder F**ks grown from clones. They are 4 weeks 4 days into flower under 1200 watts of MH for 9 plants.

First is a picture of 3 of them, the one on the left is one of the smaller ones, the middle one is about the average of the 9, and the one one the right is the largest one. I was 6' away and I couldn't get all of the largest one in the view finder so the top is cut off in the picture. The center one is approximately 3' floor to top. They are in #3 nursery pots -- approximately 2 gallons -- with 4' bamboo stakes pushed all the way to the bottom of the pots.

The second picture is the best shot that I could get of the largest one from 6' away -- again the top is cutoff even though I tried to start at the top of the pot instead of the floor.

The last picture is a closeup of the top part of the main stem of the largest one.

They are almost scary because they are so far along in 4 weeks 4 days and my son has never had them harvest less than 12 to 13 weeks into flowering - they are only 1/3 there and look at them go.

They have the nicest light fragrance to them. Very definitely pot but light, pleasant and lady-like rather than stinky, over powering and offensive.

The old timers that used to smoke MTF back in the 70s and 80s that have seen them, smelled them and smoked them swear they are genuine MTFs only a lot smoother and stronger than they remember. (They smoked my son's crop which was the mother for my clones.) Personally all I remember smoking that was "special" in my youth was Acapulco Gold and Panama Red so I really don't have anything to compare it to.

God I hope this grow goes smoothly after all of the difficulties and mistakes on my earlier ones. We have trimmed a few of the old fan leaves that are showing their age, dried them and smoked them even though we can't see any crystal formation yet even with a 100X lighted magnifier and they still give a great smooth mellow smoke with a pleasant, but very slight, buzz. If the next 8 weeks go as well as the first 4, I'll have a great crop.

Heck, I noticed little shoots near the soil line that I was going to clone until I noticed even those little 2" to 3" branches have buds almost as big as the leaves on them.

Unless there is a lot of change, I probably won't post any more pictures until there is some thing to see.

Good smoking everyone.

three MTFs 4.5 weeks.JPG

4.5 week MTF largest.JPG

4.5 wk MTF closeup of largest.JPG

kEEP pOSTIN ! I'm getting the "blue thunder" as we ? SPEAK ! ~

Well, so much for the nutrient experiment, and for th dirt versus Black Gold too for that matter.

Even though the plants that are in Black Gold still have the original dirt root ball from the smaller pots, the difference in the watering/feeding requirements and the ease of use have convinced me only about 5 weeks into the estimated 12 to 13 week flowering that I through with dirt indoors and will just use Black Gold for any non-hydro growing in the future.

The difference in growth between the ones transplanted into Black Gold with the original dirt root ball intact and the ones transplanted into all dirt is barely noticeable so my conclusion is that there probably isn't going to be a real significant difference in yield either.

Also, I noticed that I only have spider mite problems in the veg room where there is a big plywood box with excess dirt stored but not in the flowering room. So on the thoughts that 1) I don't need it anymore and 2) that might be where the spider mites are hiding out, I getting it out of there.

On the nutrient experiment, there is so much difference in the growth already between the ones getting FHD hydro nutrients and the ones getting the Alaska Fish Fert/Morebloom nutes that I can't justify using the Alaska stuff any longer and short the size and yield on half of the crop. There is between 6" for the shortest one and 1' for the tallest one more growth in the FHD and there seem to be more and bigger buds too. All of theAlaska one are virtually the same height regardless of which soil combination they are in and significantly shorter and smaller than the FHD fed ones.

Good smoking. There doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference in the pictures since my last post so I'll not bother today. I can tel the difference but I don't think I could in the pictures if I hadn't seen them in real life and noticed the difference then.

Good smoking everyone.

I can't smell the fragrance in the rest of the house and only very mildly in the flowering room, BUT the minute you start to touching them, like tying them up to support the weight of the buds on the branches it get real fragrant in a hurry. I tucked 5 branches inside the string cages and my finger were sticky and stinky. Even after I washed my hands twice with scented soap, it was til easy to smell the fragrance lesft on my hands from the plants.

meds,

Is the "blue thunder" a variety that you are growing or are you remembering the high from the old MTF smoke? Now that I think about this MTF smoke is a little bluer than the other stuff I've seen.

Good smoking. If this stuff turns out as mellow as it smells and as the fan leaves smoke, then I may quit using a water pipe to mellow things out. My old lungs just don't tolerate harsh smoke through short non-water pipes any more, but the leaves have been mellow enough that I can smoke them in my son's 5" stemmed glass pipe.

DonJones said:
meds,

Is the "blue thunder" a variety that you are growing or are you remembering the high from the old MTF smoke? Now that I think about this MTF smoke is a little bluer than the other stuff I've seen.

Good smoking. If this stuff turns out as mellow as it smells and as the fan leaves smoke, then I may quit using a water pipe to mellow things out. My old lungs just don't tolerate harsh smoke through short non-water pipes any more, but the leaves have been mellow enough that I can smoke them in my son's 5" stemmed glass pipe.

Blue thunder is a cross between blueberry and MTF REAL tasty and hits like a frieght train.~

hey were they originally from seed? like from an online seed bank? you gonna throw up some pics? really interested in yer mtf.

first bowl i ever smoked was MTF... thought my brothers were have'n a cig and i went to bug and be a bum. next thing i know, i get handed a pipe with some kinda herb in it. i did what felt right.. or peer pressure.. either way I laughed my arse off for the next hour or two, it was an experience. and it was a few days later i was told "that was the MTF"
damn that was 15 years ago...
anyhow, look'n good Don.
i'll be :watchplant:

mes,

Is there anyway I can get a hold of seeds for the blue Thunder. That sounds like an awesome combination! I usually prefer clones, but that isn't real practical long distance. And Spokane, WA seems like a long ways from almost anywhere.

Raisin Jackson,

All weed is originally from seed, but to answer what I think you are asking -- I grew them from clones I got from my son who got his clone from a medical group we belong to and I have no idea where they got them. THIS IS WHY I'M TRYING SO HARD TO FIND ANOTHER SOURCE IN CASE SOMETHING HAPPENS TO MYLINE OF CLONES. I have been able to find NOTHING about MTF from any of the seed banks or breeders. What little I know has come from weed "history" books and talking to my old timer stoner friends back when I was a straight arrow -- not from virtue but from not being willing to risk the consequences of being a military cop and later a truck driver subject to a UA anytime any LEO thought he wanted me to "Pee in the bottle, son!

Good smoking and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

The changes in the MTF since my last pictures are too subtle for my cheap camera to show so no new pictures. You will have to go back, look at them and then use your imagination based on my descriptions to get an idea of what they look like now.

I just looked at them and the fairy dusting is spreading over all of the leaves, even the fan leaves that aren't close to the buds. My son went in after the lights went of a day or so ago with a dim blue light and he said the entire plants just glowed in the blue light reflecting off of what sure looks like crystals. Yes, I know green light is better for not disturbing the plants, but we didn't have any blue so he use done of those mini LEDs that you can put on the end of your finger for things like reading or doing paperwork without disturbing anyone in the cab or sleeper with you. It is dim enough that you can't see the light on a piece of paper more than about 4" to 6" from the light to the paper.

About the only other changes are they are getting more fragrant every day -- still light and pleasant with starting to have faint hint of spice I think -- and thirstier so I'm going to have to shorten the feed/water spacing down from every 5th day to at least every 4th day and maybe even shorter than that. I feed one time, waterthe next and then feed again on infinitum.

Good smoking and Happy thanksgiving to everyone!

Okay,

I know men are usually visually oriented, but sometimes the desire for pictures becomes almost over powering. I'm in there all the time looking so I guess it is only understandable that you want pictures so you can see too. Like I said earlier, my cheap camera won't show the subtle changes going on in the flower room, but here are some pictures of what's currently in the veg room.

The first two are a Diesel that I revegged by accident before it flowered. When we transplanted it to put into flower, the second day after transplanting all but the bottom spindly little branch died over night. So I cut the stalk just above the single little green limb threw it back into the veg room and just fed and watered it like the rest of the stuff in there. It sat there doing nothing for the longest time and then just took off. It is finally ready to go into flower just as soon as I get some clones off of it. If you look real close in the second picture you can see the little stub of the original stalk. From the time I cut it the stalk has always been dry with no sign of sap or anything. So much for how delicate weed is.

The third one is of the only survivor of the original set of clones from the current set of MTF that are in the flower room right now. It was part of a disastrous attempt to use my son's cloning machine that had become infected with green slime. It is ready to transplant into the large pots, veg for another week or two while it recovers from my topping, then clone some more and put it into flower. It is actually bigger than the Diesel although not as bushy and hardy.

The fourth one is miscellaneous small plants that my daughter-in-law brought over from my son's operation and asked me to grow. I have no idea what most of them are, although I think the three of the four in the small cups are probably MTF plus one Diesel. The bigger one in the middle is a total mystery to me.

The fifth picture is of the only three survivors of an attempt to clone my son's entire crop to try to preserve his bloodlines. It failed miserably because my cloning area was NOT warm enough since the Fall weather set in. I will probably be transplanting them into the 6" pots soon. Fortunately, I figured out what was happening and moved these three into the veg room where it is warmer.

The last picture is of the nearly finished seeding/cloning cabinet in the veg room. It has a twin tube 2' T5 and will have a mylared door too. Hopefully this will solve my winter temperature problems.

There, maybe that will hold you picture junkies for a while - ha ha. I wish I had a better camera but this one was bought for simplicity of operation and ruggedness to carry on the truck to document loads, accidents, freight claims and occasionally scenery. If it worked better, then I could get better pictures for you all and more of them without looking like I'm posting the same ones over and over again. It would especially be a great help to get better pictures when I'm posting pictures with questions.

Good smoking and Happy Thanksgiving

Diesel ready to flower.JPG

closeup of Diesle stem.JPG

MTF ready to translpant.JPG

Small plants in veg.JPG

Three survivors from colod cloning fiasco.JPG

Partially finished seeding-cloning cabinet.JPG

Well, things don't look a lot different from the first pictures but here are some new ones.

The first one is the odd plant out 9 allegedly idenitcal clones from the same mother. Crap, once again I can't post it a second time even though I completely renamed it twice since I posted it. You will have to go to my thread in General Indoor Growing>REVEG QUESTION if you want to see it. I say allegedly because the other 8 are almost identical in height and progress towards harvest. The odd one is clearly a lot taller and lankier. It is not nearly as densely bushed and is at least 2 weeks ahead of the other 8. I'm fairly certain that it is a different strain form a different mother because I grew all 9 of them just as close to identically as is possible. We started flushing it last night because the trichs were starting turning amber on the lower branches. The second picture is a close up of the odd plant's buds.

The next one is a group picture of the other MTFs, followed by a close up of the buds on one of them.

Then is a White Widow and the Diesel that I revegged after it nearly died upon transplant. They are both 2 days into flowering.

These pictures were all taken this morning.

Good smoking

Close up of odd plant buds.JPG

grouppicture of MTFs, just starting 9th week of flower.JPG

Close up of MTF buds.JPG

White Widow 2 days into flower.JPG

Revegged Diesel 2 days into flower.JPG

I just smoked some of the Odd MTF dried leaf and it is sooo smoooth and mild but I'm ripped to the point of being on the nod, all on two good blunt super charged tokes while everyone else sampled it too about an hour ago. The rest of that plant is in the closet drying and curing right now. Will let you know how it turns out.

We just finished flushing the second one and it looks like we maybe getting about a plant every 2 to 4 days for a while, so yes it looks like a green smoky Christmas

Good smoking

Well,

Here are some pictures and an update.

The first picture is the trimmed processed bud from the odd MTF that was revegged so there was actually significantly more bud than that. It should be ready to smoke tomorrow, if I can keep people out of it. My son speed dried a couple of buds and unfortunately I was on my way out of the door when they lite it up. They were all ooing and ahing about it as I left.

The second picture is the odd MTF back in the veg room with some others in the right side ground.

The third one is of 4 small MTFs and a Mid sized blackberry, all 5 of which are ready to transplant into the next size pot.

The fourth one is of my 3 survivors of the disastrous cloning mess from a few weeks a go.

The fifth one is of my latest crop of clone cuttings.

I'll let you know how it smokes as soon as I find out.

Good smoking

I finally got the pictures to upload thanks to mojavemama!

View attachment 144555

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 45
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 47
They are giving it out to the patients faster than I can fully dry it so someone must like it. It may not be the strongest that I've ever had, but it is definitely the mildest and smoothest. It isn't a one hit quit type high but neither is it a creeper where it takes a half hour to feel it. It is a smooth gradual onset and coming down is the same -- smooth and gradual.

The kids seem to prefer it over their diesel, AK and White Widow although maybe that is just because it's free. Mom keeps giving it away. Then she wants to sell it to the patients for $10.00 to $13.33 per gram. I keep trying to tell her it cost us that much to grow it not including the time we put into it. She can;t seem to understand that we have to at least break even and since we are just as poor as any of the patients we should make a little something off of it. I know I could get $40 to $50 per gram if I wanted to deal it commercially out of state. Heck, I could wholesale it for out of state shipment for over $25/gram for all of it that I can produce and she is giving it away! She sure should be glad that I love her more that she thinks or that would be a deal breaker.

I'm disappointed with the yield, but maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges. It seems like real high quality stuff comes with smaller yields. The next crop, I'm going to try my own advice and put insulation under the catch trays even though my floors are warm enough to comfortably walk on bare foot. Even at that they may be chilling the roots a little.

I definitely need to get a larger scale like a balance beam to weigh on because my little digital scale weighs up to 1000 grams, but the whole thing is less than 3" x 4" even including the display, so with something as light density as weed anything over about 0.5 oz gets very hard to weigh.

I've got a paper bag of stuff from the second one that has been in drying 1 day. I'll try to weigh it out and total the weight up for you.

I'll try to get a picture of it in a cake pan too. This batch and the one I posted the other day is processed -- cut off of the stems with sugar leaves trimmed back to the edge of the bud. I'm really thinking about starting to wait until it os dry to trim the sugar leaves.

Good smoking

DonJones said:
Mom keeps giving it away. Then she wants to sell it to the patients for $10.00 to $13.33 per gram. I keep trying to tell her it cost us that much to grow it not incluidng the time we put into it. She can;t seem to understand that we have to at least break even and since we are just as poor as any of the patients we should make a little something off of it. I know I could get $40 to $50 per gram if I wanted to deal it commercially out of state. Heck, I could wholesale it for out of state shipment for over $25/gram for all of it that I can produce and she is giving it away! She sure should be glad that I love her more that she thinks or that would be a deal breaker.

:confused: I'm confused...it costs you $280-$375 to produce an ounce of smoke?

:confused: I'm confused...you have some smoke that you think you could get $1120-$1400 an ounce for "if you wanted to deal it commercially out of state."?

I just spread out the 2 plant in a 12" pizza tray and weighed it after being drying for a full day. I got a little over 2.25 oz about 1/3 to 1/2 way dried and closely manicured. It seems like each successive plant is yielding more and more even though they are out of the same mother and grown the same way. Of course the later ones go t more HPS too because we put the first HPS in about a week before we harvested the first one.

I'm changing my opinion on how much difference using a mix of MH & HPS makes upwards, but I would still flower under straight MH if I couldn't afford the HPS too.

It is good enough that we are smoking mostly leaves and trim in blunts and still getting 2 to 3, sometimes 4, people pleasantly stoned per blunt.

Here is a picture of it in the pizza pan.

Good smoking.

HPIM1357.JPG

THG, Yes you read correctly.

My cost per gram will go way down over a period of time as the cost for equipment, and construction gets spread out over more crops, just like a farmer who has his farm and equipment paid off can grow corn for less per bushel than a farmer just starting out making payments on every thing. Our electric bill is up well over $100/month from before I started growing and our rate/KW is actually down a little. Also we had 2 people move out right at the same time I started growing so the increase that seems to be due to growing is probably even greater. Those figures are gross cost, not net costs. They were arrived at by totaling everything I have spent on growing equipment, supplies and electricity since I started growing divided by the total yield I have obtained.

All I know is a friend of mine said were he is from they are paying $35/gram for crap weed and offered to by all of anything I wanted to sell to him for $40/gram and he would even come get it. He also said for really good stuff he would go higher. I though that sounded pretty high too, but I know a lot of people who are paying $25/gram or better for premo chronic weed locally here in Spokane, and we have an oversupply of weed locally.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of your conversion from $/grams into $/oz but it sounds reasonable. When I just used the calculator, I got the smae numbers using 28 grams/ oz so I think you're correct in your math.

Good smoking.

Latest posts

Back