burned top of plant..will it live

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

780blazed

Reaction score
I just got a new lamp from a friend and made a rookie mistake of leaving it too close. I checked back in about an hour or so and noticed part of a leaf near the top burned as well as the top- most part of the bud. It is not severe, and I can post pictures of it if needed but I am wondering what to do for now to help it heal/ fix it. Oh and I have also moved the lamp further away (its about a foot or so away now). Any suggestions are appreciated ✌

There is nothing you can do, it will be ok. T5's are really good to veg under.

There is nothing you can do, it will be ok. T5's are really good to veg under.

The plant is in flower.

Hello 780blazed, the damage is not going to fix itself, eventually the burnt necrosis will spread on those leaves, when they curl cut them off, they will offer the plant nothing but the plant will still try to send sugars to those leaves.

The lower leaves will take over the photosynthesis.

Learn from mistakes.

I find it odd the leaf looks burnt but the top of the plant has not.

What light are you using?

:peace:

It will heal itself ok as it is not far into flower. The damaged places will not heal as they are too badly damaged but the plant will continue to try to build new buds, and probably build a new one right around the damaged place.

The overall health of the plant will not be diminished by this issue.

The plant is in flower.

Hello 780blazed, the damage is not going to fix itself, eventually the burnt necrosis will spread on those leaves, when they curl cut them off, they will offer the plant nothing but the plant will still try to send sugars to those leaves.

The lower leaves will take over the photosynthesis.

Learn from mistakes.

I find it odd the leaf looks burnt but the top of the plant has not.

What light are you using?

:peace:

(Thank you for the information! I am honestly a not using a very strong light. Simply a 72 watt bulb, 1490 lumens..in a small lamp hood. But the plant was grown from seed outdoors towards late fall then I moved it on doors before the first frost. Pretty much 12/12 from seed.) Should I remove the partially burnt leaf by the way? Or just let it die on its own and fall off

Thank you to everyone who commented on this, I appreciate it ✌

I am wondering if it was really the light as the light is so small. The plants I have under my T5 does not burn until the leaves actually grow into the bulbs. Did it actually grow into the bulb?

Also, the bulb you are using is not a 72W--it is a 72W equivalent which means nothing when we are growing--we use actual wattage and lumens to figure lighting needs. The 1490 lumens tell me that it is a 23W. This may sound harsh, but if you want to get more than a few grams off that plant, you are going to have to get more light on it--lots more light, like at least 10 bulbs that size.

I am wondering if it was really the light as the light is so small. The plants I have under my T5 does not burn until the leaves actually grow into the bulbs. Did it actually grow into the bulb?

Also, the bulb you are using is not a 72W--it is a 72W equivalent which means nothing when we are growing--we use actual wattage and lumens to figure lighting needs. The 1490 lumens tell me that it is a 23W. This may sound harsh, but if you want to get more than a few grams off that plant, you are going to have to get more light on it--lots more light, like at least 10 bulbs that size.

I am sure it was definitely the light that burned the plant because it happened within the hour after I put the plant under the light. So I moved it away, and voila, no more burn. I do find it strange though, and the leaf was not touching the light either. And as far as lights go I know I definately need more. For now I'm only growing this one for fun as a project, persay

If the leaf was touching the bulb, then that is what burned it, but not if it was just close. There is just not enough heat from a bulb that small to burn a leaf.

Also thought I would mention that there seems to be sap or something coming out of the leaf on top (in the picture it looks like a wet leaf)

Latest posts

Back