Potency, but not quality, affected by plant size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
Found this abstract:

The influence of pot size on plant height, stem diameter, dry leaf biomass, essential oil content, and composition of Eucalyptus citriodora was investigated in this experiment. Both the physical and the chemical properties of pot-grown plants were significantly affected by pot size. Plants grown in larger pots were generally taller, had thicker stems and wider canopies, grew more branches, and produced more leaves that were larger than plants grown in smaller pots. The highest essential oil concentrations (∼ 1.2%) were observed in plants grown in 10-liter (20-cm diameter) and 5-liter (11 cm diameter) pots. Essential oil composition was fairly similar for all pot sizes. We conclude that Eucalyptus citriodora can be grown in pots, preferably in 10- or 5-liter pots, and thus provide fresh leaves on a daily basis.

==================

So basically, your larger plant should be more potent but the high will be the same. This would argue against SOG and toward having less, but large sized, plants (assuming height is available)

The results with Eucalyptus citriodora may or may not transfer over to MJ. It can be 100% accurate or 100% wrong when you start trying to apply research to completely different species of plants.

Great smoking.

Leafminer, I'm interested but a little confused. How did you come to your conclusion?

The conclusion from your quoted abstracts states:

"We conclude that Eucalyptus citriodora can be grown in pots, preferably in 10- or 5-liter pots, and thus provide fresh leaves on a daily basis."

It also states that " the highest essential oil concentrations was in 10-liter and 5-liter plants." - both sizes have the "highest oil concentration" of 1.2%. So how do we conclude plants are more potent when larger?

I can see how they may contain a larger quanity of cannabinoids simply because of the size, but the THC is not necessarily more potent, there's just more of it. (considering no restrictions on light). Keep in mind also, that although commonly increased together, resin poduction, i.e. essential oils, do not always correlate to higher concentrations of THC.

In my experiences pot size has little effect on potency. Heathy plants produce potent plants.

Nice food for thought as usual Leafminer - thanks

Latest posts

Back