small grow... need co2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENIE_420

Reaction score
Yo whats up everyone. I have a small setup, the veg room is 3.5(L) x 4.5(w)x 8(h) and the flower room is the same size except 1 wider. I try to grow at least 6-8 plants at a time. A friend of mine, who also grows told me that with my setup I did not need to worry about adding any co2. He told me that they get enough co2 from me and that I need to be in the room everyday at least for a little while...half hour? maybe? Well somtime with my work schedule that is not possible. Do i need to improvise? Is burning gasoline or propane an effective alternative or do they have harmful emmisions also?

Do not attempt to make any kind of homemade CO2 devise with gasoline or propane. These are both highly flammable dangerous substances. Both gasoline and propane have deadly emissions and too much CO2 will kill you.

CO2 needs to be controlled, regulated and monitored and requires equipment to do that. This is not something that you can DIY. For a grow that size, I would hope that you have some kind of decent centrifuge type fan exchanging the air in your space on a regular basis. This is where your plant gets its fresh air--opening the door once a day does not provide your space with enough fresh air.

Yes I have excellent ventilation...2-100cfm exhaust fans overhead and vent holes cut out in the floor, this is in a shed seperate from the house. One oscilating fan and several small fans like the ones in computers. The girls are getting plenty of fresh air all the time, not just when the door opens! So do I need co2 or not? I appreciate the concern, dont worry iI'm not thinking of some homemade device, I am 37 yrs old and well educated, I know the dangers of co2 and I like my shed therefore I'm not trying to burn it to the ground.

If you have a good air exchange you dont Need additional Co2.

You dont need to visit your grow room each day either.

Dont take advice from your friend.

ive had 4.5x4.5 and it did very well without co2 added.i had a 400 cfm fan with a carnine filter attached then blowing out of the room.the air exchange gave sufficient co2 for the plants

Growdude said:
If you have a good air exchange you dont Need additional Co2.

You dont need to visit your grow room each day either.

Dont take advice from your friend.
:yeahthat:

back in the day I did a safe, simple little C02 booster for cheaper than dirt (literally, if you buy good dirt)

- 5 gallon bucket, w/ lid
- 3 liter soda bottle w/cap
- ? gallons white vinegar
- ? boxes baking soda

Cut a 4" hole in the bucket lid (carefully, THG;))
Cut a 2" hole in each side of bucket, high up
Cut the bottom 2 inches off the soda bottle
Poke a tiny needle hole through the bottle cap
Dump couple boxes baking soda in the bucket
Put the lid on the bucket and the cap on the bottle
Invert the bottle like a funnel into the bucket lid
Fill the bottle turned funnel with vinegar
Drip, drip, drip about every 10 seconds

The two holes in the sides of the bucket allow the C02 to vent. I backed up a fan to one of the side holes and it sucked the enriched air right through . . . made me feel like I was taking real good care of my plants hehe :joint:

But . . . this produces only a small amount of C02 for a small, enclosed area . . . all this waste vinegar is produced and hasta be disposed of, it stinks up the nice smell of the plants and creates a whole new odor issue . . . and unless you boost temps, humidity and nutes along with it, it's not really gonna have a whole lot of effect anyway . . . might work pretty good in a tent . . .

jm2c :48:

Those CO2 buckets are also just a waste of time and money....you need high levels of CO2 in a controlled and sealed space. You also need higher then normal temps. Jmo

There is also a big difference from a health and safety standpoint between carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Monoxide is a bad mofo for sure. Every year I read about dumb people using their grills indoors and winding up dead.

I think they have pucks that release co2 that might be helpful. Also if you're bringing in fresh air, your co2 might very well be already good enough. Try breathing on them when you have to chance too ;).

Latest posts

Back