spl1fz 1st

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spl1f

Reaction score
Started my first gro about week an half ago. Super Lemon Haze beanz.
I'll keep this journal updated as time goes by. Basically, Miracle Gro
potting soil, Epsoma's Organic Plant-Tone grub, Trace Minerals
colloidal silver spray for producing a male from one of the fem'd beanz,
Garden Safe Take Root powder. Also snagged a heat mat, 1600 lum cfl bulbs.

I put the beanz in a baggy, Viva paper towel with distilled water with a few
blocks of thin wood on top of the heat mat, with digital therm in there.
Opened the baggy up every couple of days, sprayed with Garden water bottle
doesn't have "chemz" all through it. I also grabbed the Etekcity digital
ph meter. Mixed Miracle Gro perlite into the soil and after being germd
simply planted the beanz about half inch into the dirt, covered up
gently. The first four beans may have taken but my fear was i had
them directly on a heat mat, very dumb mistake. And the therm was not on the
heat mat directly. uber-duhh

This weekend i'll be ordering more bulbs, taking cheap lamps from a store,
pulling the cord and socket out, reinforcing with electric tape etc.
The deal with the cfl gro is less heat, less electric etc. but know that
i need to keep the lights few inches from plants at all times. Need to get
ph up an down plus the Woods 2001 Outdoor timer,
Can Fan Pro Series 420 CFM Max Fan, 6" with the iPower GLFILT6M Air Carbon Filter.

During this time i've been downloading about every vid can find on youtube and
pdf books from the net. Everything i can find from bean to curing. Already
started a collection of mason jars.

All six have sprouted. One of the things i'll have to do is separate the grow
to force a male so i can have my own beanz growing also. This way, since i'm a
n00b with limited resources, use the silver spray to force a male, pollinate a fem.
I'll keep that away from the femd plants. Space is limited of course so i need
to think that one through more. How to run the air cleaner, can i seal the
bean room good enough, use the bathroom area however that has a vent in it also
so not sure that'll work, etc.

There are two beanz in the plastic bag and might not have been a great move.
If however i can keep that solid, keep them in there, i might transplant the
other beanz into 10 gallon bags, grab more dirt etc. so much larger root structure.

Ph levels have been a learning experience to say the least. Soil reads around
8 and the water reads around 6.4. Using the ph up an down will help. Also,
the temp by the bulbs is showing around 87 degrees F. Might be a little
too warm. This is basically a ghetto budget closet gro. But it's a start.
The day before memorial day, when i saw the first sprout pop, couldn't sleep.
Worked all nite that night getting bulbs, setting things up, etc. i quickly
learned this is "their schedule" not mine.

With the fan setup for odor, i was looking to build my own carbon filter.
And for some reason thought i had to pipe the air to the outside, which i
do not. A good suggestion was, like the beanz, don't go cheap. The cost
now is always less than the "cost" later on. So we will do that asap.

spl1f

6XWu842.jpg

hY7fuON.jpg

cc9MCWZ.jpg

x5yawGU.jpg

gave the gang a good watering the other day
the small pot sprout came up with a shell
on for a hat, her name is "shelly"
i'll snag the lights and air cleaner
stuff this weekend

MywPQio.jpg

Nice to see you got the journal going!

First off, what are your long-term plans for lighting? Those CFLs won't do the job for long.

And I know others will chime in on this, but I'll go ahead and say that you're going to want some soil other than MiracleGro. If you can find Fox Farms products in your area, they're a great way to go.

Green mojo to you! Looking forward to seeing more!

Actually, it is a misconception that CFLs are cooler or cheaper. When you get as many as you need you will be spending about twice as much on electricity and they are going to run substantially hotter. Those bulbs will do for a couple of weeks, but that is about it. Lighting needs are figured as lumens per sq ft. For vegging you want 3000 lumens per sq ft and for flowering 5000 lumens per sq ft. In addition, you need different spectrums for the different growing phases. This is for the entire space you are using. If you check the lumesn on the CFLs, it will give you an idea of about how many you will need. For instance a 3 x 3 space would require 17 23W (391 W, 27,200 lumens) CFLs for vegging and 28 (644W, 44,800 lumens) for flowering.

:48:......... I grew SLH for 2 or 3 runs over a year ago........ very good smoke........I may even have a jar of it left........ your not going to need 10 gallon bags for indoors.......... on a tight budget try the blue ones Walmart sells for .5o up front near checkouts....... you don't need to start small plant in such large pots......... use solo cup size........ learn to clone plants and you won't need to make seeds.......... easier to clone than to make seeds outta fem'd plants imo.......... green mojo

I can get the fox farm potting soil mix, and i'll fix the lights. Gonna need HPS for flowering.
Attached is the "journal" i'm trying to follow. Will need to get a humidity meter for curing, plus
of course good trimmers. I was hoping to start this and finish it outside. Just too many variables.
The cfls are 1600 lumens. On an interesting note, i did see a pro gro setup on youtube from Colorado
where they added one or two small HPS for the crop in veg state that helped improve overall quality.
Also, i'm not going to bounce for a while on different strains. Give myself a few gros before
"branching out" so i can learn one strain and the basics. CFLs are ok for small amount, under average
20 inches. My plants are super-lemon-haze, mainly sativa, tall genetics there. Right there you could
almost call that a "conflict of interest."
spl1f

update 052615
do not follow the Buds4Less "journal"
i deleted the attachment

That journal is for an auto flowering plant I think......... super lemon haze is not an auto flower plant........ you got 40 days of veg at least and 4 plus feet of plant coming........ then another 1 to 2 feet of plant coming in the 9 plus weeks of flower time (12/12 light/dark) required to finish slh.......... SLH is easy to clone....... I used jiffy pucks from wally world to do mine.

he forced flower very early on due to the fact of the type of lighting used,
being cfl only gro, that the light only penetrates x amount of plant
so his goal was to "manipulate" in a good way the way the plant grew
under cfl, it's still not great tho or how i need to do this for SLH,
being a sativa dominant strain, and yer on the money, i need the full
spectrum and right amount of lumens, one for veg one for flowering
what i'm after with this besides bean production is gonna switch the
plants out from the pots to 10-15 gallon industrial bags, this will
allow for greater root growth, means a lot more dirt tho too
i need to clear close to or above 2lbs
being a sativa looking at super cropping, topping, fiming,lolly pop
an monster crop techniques, if i can use that to help keep the plants
shorter while at the same time increase yield
it's mid 80s in there right now, about 84F near the bulbs, which
i am going to have to increase the AC, need a 10-12 grand btu with a
fan pushing towards the gro, keep the temps down, since i'll be addding
more bulbs asap, that's where that air cleaner/fan will save me
not only to keep the place over all cooler with AC but odors gone
i've been thinking about this, i can shut the one door,
circulate in just that room and buy a portable AC unit for my office
that's probably what i'll have to do to adjust to this location
another challenge: started to think about yer post on sativa size,
yeah, 5ft tall closet isn't going to cut it, gonna have to pull them out
put in the "more room" location, knew this was coming anyway
best to get it in motion now, the 10-15 gallon bags won't even
come close with enough room, i'll move my sleeping area and donate
it to the girls

I can get the fox farm potting soil mix, and i'll fix the lights. Gonna need HPS for flowering.
Attached is the "journal" i'm trying to follow. Will need to get a humidity meter for curing, plus
of course good trimmers. I was hoping to start this and finish it outside. Just too many variables.
The cfls are 1600 lumens. On an interesting note, i did see a pro gro setup on youtube from Colorado
where they added one or two small HPS for the crop in veg state that helped improve overall quality.
Also, i'm not going to bounce for a while on different strains. Give myself a few gros before
"branching out" so i can learn one strain and the basics. CFLs are ok for small amount, under average
20 inches. My plants are super-lemon-haze, mainly sativa, tall genetics there. Right there you could
almost call that a "conflict of interest."
spl1f

That " Buds for Less" is a not worth the bytes it takes. Please, do not follow that. It really is total B S and the guy only wanted to make money. I know that he makes it look like you can grow great bud under CFLs, but you cannot. The entire "Grow Bud for Less" is a total scam. It is not possible to do what he says you can. So, please, please do not follow this. There is a lot of crap out there and this is some of it. Do not believe everything you "see" on the internet--they can make it look like anything they want. And they can say anything they want. You cannot grow good plants, no matter how small, with just a few CFLs. Please take our word for it.

The Hemp Goddess, thank you for the information. I removed it from my post, phone and drives.
I was looking back through the "journal" last nite before bed, exhausted from the work to just get to
the "sprouting" and i noticed a few things concerning the book, first, lack of info, no mention of other
resources, growers, etc. second, he kept saying he "moved the lights, removed the hoods" for the
photographs, kinda odd, but ok, still giving "benefit of the doubt" then the very last page, he went into tv
and talked about "love for man kind" and that is when i knew something was really wrong, still not sure
what, but yeah, something is off, anytime someone puts that out there, we all hustle, but i knew it was
a bad hustle, coz then he couldn't keep his mouth shut, he had to list his resume: tv production, travel
the world, blah blah he did list one guy's name, not even gonna repeat it, coz that guy prolly had zero
clue his name got dropped in the book, ya look at Jorge's material, loaded with references, he truly
humbles himself to his craft, to the people he works with, puts his ego in the back seat, only books
i'll follow here on out is his gro bible, thank you for the correction, ya just saved my gro.

Glad to hear that--people that cheat growers should be drug behind wild horses until almost dead. Then when they recover, do it again until they learn their lesson...unfortunately, there are no short-cuts and no really cheap way to grow quality cannabis indoors. We all really wish that it could be done, but it can't. I always remember what my dad taught me at a very young age: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. And no reason beating around the bush about it...glad my ways do not upset up. I truly am only concerned with helping you grow the best bud you can.

Jorge is not the only person out there with good material, but you do need to be discriminating, as there is a lot of bull, too. And while there are a lot of different ways and methods of growing, some things are pretty cut and dried--you need so much light, depending on your space size and you cannot scrimp on it. You need air exchange, you need to feed your plants what they need in the proportions they need for the stage of growth they are in. PH and ppms are important. But, boy, there is nothing in the world like smoking your own.

Real quick tip.....I suggest not having carpet in the room you are growing in....bugs love to hatch larvae in that stuff.

I pulled mine up and ran a clear plastic tarp over the concrete (as mine is on the bottom floor). If you dont have concrete underneath your padding...I would get a tarp and find a way to attach it to the floor to deter bugs from laying eggs in it, and protecting the floor/carpet from nute spills and the like.

I do see the lid you have under the pots...but that will only protect from spilling on the carpet..not bugs.

i'll have to work with the carpet, can't pull it up
best i can do for this budget friendly ghetto gro
is snag some non-odor bug stuff, keep my pad
OCD clean, which it is anyway, really got OCD
do appreciate the tip tho, good one to be honest
and no, i didn't think of that at all
i might be a good move, make the situation a little
better if i lay plastic down through out that section
gonna move everything to bigger room when needed
keep that section for veg, use bathroom for seed
production, i'll sleep on the floor in living room
so if the plastic is white, even if something is munchen
underneath i can spot something on the top of the plastic
not perfect but maybe little better
i got the ideal set up in mind for down the road
get the clones flowing toss them in a hole with soil
outside so got "backup"
snag non-spray bug stuff so nothing flowing through the
air, forgot to mention that
thank you for your help

spl1f

I have a huge tarp over the entire bedroom floor that I have my tents in and that works great to protect them. I have never had any kind of problems with bugs in there. And I also do all my vegetable starts in that room.

Latest posts

Back