Stealth cabinet grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are you running lights on during the dark period of your grow Im confused.... I know that supposedly green light is ok during the dark.... Does this maybe produce the same spectrum as the green light?

Im interested in seeings what will happen if this is the case. Good luck pioneer.

The actinic lights are running during the dark period when the HPS lights are off. They are not the same spectrum as green light. They are deep blue as you can see, according to the paperwork they emit light at 450nanometers which is "supposed to be" within the range of usability for the plant, but not within the range that they affect the flowering/vegging hormones. This is completely an experiment that I am testing.

So far this concept is failing the experiment as these plants are stretching even worse than the plants in the other cab which are in total darkness during "lights out". I suspect that I am getting cross-over in this experiment from the first experiment that I did with T5s vs MH. In that experiment I saw that the plants under more lumens of MH actually stretched more than the plants vegged under T5s with less lumens. I am continuing with this experiment though as I want to see if the "actinic" light interferes with the flowering or not. If I find that the actinic light doesn't interfere with the flowering hormones, then I will rerun the experiment with plants vegged the same way so that all variables will be more equal. and I will add more actinic bulbs to give more lumens. :)

Thanks Puffin. yeah they are growing like crazy and having no health problems. I am very happy with the Jungle Juice so far. :)

So I have removed the "actinic lights from the cab A as I am seeing where the plants in cab B are beginning to show bud development while in cab A there isn't any bud development. As I said earlier, I think the results from the first experiment have influenced the second experiment so I have suspended it until the next grow.

I am still seeing a huge difference in the amount of stretch from the plants that were vegged under T5 versus those same 4 strains vegged under MH. I actually had to top the Bluehell strain in cab A as it had reached my lighting and was stretching out of control. I just hope that my topping of this plant doesn't lead to hermification. Heres the pics before the top. The plants vegged in cab A under MH are averaging 10" taller than the plants in cab B that were vegged under T5 :eek:

nb2-17-12.JPG

nb2-17-12a.JPG

nb2-17-12b.JPG

nb2-17-12c.JPG

I failed to explain the last 2 pics of the underbrush. Just a little info on the FIM technique. Those are actually two of the plants that sit upfront in the cabs. The reason for showing them is do that those interested in the FIM technique can see what happens over time to the plant after fimming. In some instances the Fim will disperse the growth hormones and the "nub" that is left after the FIM will die as in both of these pics. If do the fim too much this is the result(which is completely no problem) but if the fim is done too little, the "nub" will recouperate and continue to grow(but it will still disperse the hormones as desired) I would have taken a pic of that but it makes them so bushy that you can't see it in a pic. :)

So here's an update on the stealth cabs. Finished the 3rd cabinet which is now my vegging cabinet. I have a top shelf which holds the cuttings in the cloner stations, and the lower part has 8 T5s which will be for vegging purposes. Just finished setting some clones in my new rockwool cubes for the next grow which will be similar to a flood and drain but not the same. heres a few pics. :)

newclones2-19-12.JPG

newclones2-19-12a.JPG

I'm following this experiment and its wicked cool to see how this lighting really works out. Keep up the great looking plants, and keep us posted on what you learn from the lighting with actinics. the growth between nodes is interesting and the fimming also. Good Luck thanks

I didn't really need this but I saw it on ebay and couldn't help myself. I should have built one myself but wasn't sure about setting up the sprayer. Here is a few picks for all to see who may want to do a DIY aero-cloner :cool:

DIY cloner.JPG

DIY cloner1.JPG

DIY cloner2.JPG

DIY cloner3.JPG

that's awesome Hush. I've never experimented with differing light types and whanot, way to go. I've always stuck to what works but it's peeps like you who expand our knowledge of what works and doesnt and what could vastly improve yields. :cool2:

Keeper up, lookin real proper.

:peace:

Thanks guys. :) Yeah I love working with these plants as they are fascinating creatures with their own personalities(so to speak). If I had the place and the money to get it really going I would breed in heartbeat. But I love doing experiments with them to see what works and what doesn't. :) Burning the results ain't bad either :hubba:

So here is the next run of clones off my Buku, Blue Mystic, Bluehell. I cut out the Blueberry punch this run as I am getting the "blues" from working with so many plants :hubba: Yeah, bad joke :p Check out the roots that you get on the bubble cloner. :eek: It has to be just right temps and plenty of air bubbles but it works.

So I have 6 plants set in rockwool cubes to go in a flood n drain setup (as soon as I get the first girls harvested) and then the other 8 plants are in standard coco-top feed hydro. They are sitting in my DIY Euro-hydro planter, again until the flower rooms come open. I may have to build another cabinet so that I can get these girls in flower before they get too big. :)

nc2-26-12.JPG

nc2-26-12a.JPG

nc2-26-12b.JPG

nc2-26-12f.JPG

nc2-26-12g.JPG

I forgot to mention that the 2 plants that are in their own containers are in a mix of rich compost material and coco/pearlite. I hope it isn't too rich for them as this stuff is unbelievably rich. I tried to mix it so that I have 50/50 coco/pearlite and compost so I hope that isn't too much. I did one before for a friend who told me that it is growing beautiful so I am hopeful.

The compost is actually from one of the CO2 booster kits that you can buy online or at hydro stores. It starts out as a proprietary mix of organic matter that is supposed to be free of anything that would be bad when decomposing, and then all the beneficial microbes to do the decomposing work. During the process it releases CO2 into the immediate air. It comes with a small pump to push the co2 out and pull in fresh air for the composting activity. It is not impressive as a CO2 booster but after 6 months in the container, nearly all of the material has broken down so much that it looks and feels like "poo", but thankfully smells like rich compost earth.

I figured it would make some great organic soil amendment along with some dolomite lime and something to loosen it up to get it aerated like coco/pearlite. So wee will see how well it does. Here's some pics: :)

nc2-26-12c.JPG

nc2-26-12d.JPG

nc2-26-12e.JPG

So I started with 2 cabinets that I was going to do a little grow in. Now I have 4 cabinets as the first 2 are occupied with flowering plants that have 3 weeks left to go, the 3rd cab was supposed to be my clone and veg cab but has been turned into a veg and early flower cab so that the plants(in the 3rd pic) don't get too tall before flowering; and because of that I have built a 4th cab(pics 1 n 2) for holding my clones and a few mother plants. :)

I am seeing somethin interesting happening. The plants in the 4th cab are all the same age but the 2 plants that are together in the tote are in a hydro setup, while the plant by itself is in a soil setup. The hydro plants seem to be growing considerably more vigorously than the soil plant. However, in defence of the loner, it is a Buku which is more finicky than the other 2 plants. :)

cm3-21-12a.JPG

cm3-21-12.JPG

nc3-21-12.JPG

Hush plants look great. I must say I admire the vigor in which you grow. Im new to growing as I jjst got my medical card not long ago. I started two plants in a stealth cab 2x2x3.5 just for experiance about 3 weeks ago and am already gather materials to build cab with hydro setup. There are so many methods and strains I want to grow already. Very cool to read someone who is trying diffrent things in same grow.

Thanks Growinfo. :) I started growing and now I am completely hooked on it. I love experimenting with new methods and new stuff. I am always learning something new about these girls.

Had to post these pics of my clone moms as they have grown so much. You can sure see the difference in the soil grown plant versus the 2 plants in hydro. I will have to grow different plants in soil versus hydro going forward to see if I get the same results. :)

The first pic is the BuKu in the soil. She keeps looking like she just aint real happy. I'm not sure if the ph is an issue or if the soil is an issue, or if the BuKu is just finicky and I haven't quite learned her particulars yet.

cm3-27-12.JPG

cm3-27-12a.JPG

Looking good hp....... in my limited experience with hydro it blows away dirt for veging plants...... I've grown out blueberry/ak 5 times in dirt..... I put a couple clones in hydro they grew out of my space in 3 weeks and that was topping them..... going hydro takes some adjustments the schedule...... I wonder if stretch is increased with hydro compared to dirt.

Well I had a very nice harvest out of this run. Had a few late term nanners to pop up on a few plants haven't weighed everything yet but not a bad haul. I'm figuring about 12-14oz dry. Here's a few pics: :) Ya gotta love them plants that want to flower so bad that they start growing buds right out of the center of a leaf petiole :)

harvesta.JPG

harvestb.JPG

harvestc.JPG

harvestd.JPG

Latest posts

Back