plant sex I.D. kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
Cannacon had a convention in Boston this past weekend. there were several seed manuf. as well as many other mj people. a company called green screen offered a plant sex I.D. kit for $10... it will have samples for up to 10 plant identifications.... you can swipe a leaf after a plant is 1 week old from germination. the sex i.d. results back in 2 days... . very cool, imo... only issue is an additional cost of $20. per plant for an early sex i.d.... a total of $21.00 per plant is just too much imo... at 10.00 a plant i might go for it... . the local 2 grow shops will be selling these test kits now...

My first question is.... how do they do it? Can it be done at home?

Pretty cool, but, yeah a bit costy. How do you suppose they are doing it?

Well that is awesome GH, I spend so much money on this grow, it might pay for itself by not raising boys for two months. Sign me up.

y'all are stoked on this? seems snake-oil to me.
buy the kit at only $10.. have your plants tested at $20 each

man i'll just wait the month or two.. i can usually ID sex pretty quickly.

i am curious how this works though.. are there certain hormones(?) showing that soon.. that's kinda cool if so.

To answer my own questions above.....As in humans, only male plants have a Y chromosome. So, isolate and view the DNA. XX=female, XY=male

I don't think we have home kits for doing this but DNA isolation is not rocket science. This seems simple enough...

https://www.idtdna.com/pages/docs/educational-resources/plant-dna-extraction-protocol.pdf?sfvrsn=5

A 10,000 rpm centrifuge is between $200 and $300 on eBay.

And, the chemicals you need are available online for a reasonable price...

https://www.qiagen.com/us/shop/samp...na/dneasy-plant-mini-kit/#orderinginformation

Looks like about $4 for the chemicals to test one plant.

Be patient. This is something that is very valuable to growers. It won't be long before someone figures a way to make it a "do at home" deal.

i saw the package at one of the grow stores. when i googled it it was not there, yet.. it's coming and will be great if they can get the costs down. sure they will.

Latest posts

Back