How To : "GERMINATE YOUR SEEDS"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use Oasis foam cubes kept damp and warm. pH neutral and you can plant the cube into the soil/cup/hydrostone without damaging the taproot.

I eather use the Paper Towel method which has always worked,,or,,I stickem in Potting soil and water the pee outta them outside and lettem go.Both works 99% of the time.

I will be popping a bunch a beans this Friday and this is what I will do:

Soak the beans in tap water that has sat out for a day...
After 12 hours I will give the cup a swirl or two and see if they have all sunk. I let them sit for another 12 hours or so. Then I fill solo cups about 2/3 the way up with Miracle Grow Seed Starter Mix. I use a spray bottle full of tap that has sat out and I mist the soil real good. Then place the bean down on the soil and fill the cup up the rest of the way. Soak that layer real good with the spray bottle and then water well....of course you put drainage holes in the bottom of the cups.

The reason I mist the soil before watering is because anyone who has watered bone dry soil knows the soil gets turned over violently as the water goes through...I don't want the seeds getting brought to the top of the soil. Then they go under the T5's...they are kept moist till they sprout. I find the less I handle anything with a tap root the better...lol I all thumbs at times. :)

Freshly germinated (sown Saturday, popped Sunday night/Monday morning) Nirvana Papaya in an Oasis foam cube.

oasis1.jpg

YYZ Skinhead said:
Freshly germinated (sown Saturday, popped Sunday night/Monday morning) Nirvana Papaya in an Oasis foam cube.

If you do a grow journal, I would love to subscribe. I just got Nirvana Papaya, Ice, and Blue Mystic in last week, but it will be a few weeks before I can even think of dropping beans. Gotta get the autoflowers finished, and out of my veg room. I will be interested in seeing how that Papaya does.

Great Green Vibe sent.

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
If you do a grow journal, I would love to subscribe. I just got Nirvana Papaya, Ice, and Blue Mystic in last week, but it will be a few weeks before I can even think of dropping beans. Gotta get the autoflowers finished, and out of my veg room. I will be interested in seeing how that Papaya does.

Great Green Vibe sent.

HomieHogleg

Most cool.:48: I randomly started a GJ today inspired by taking the pic, but that would be awesome if it is useful to a fellow Papaya grower. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57670

I used to grow Blue Mystic too before I discovered Papaya. If you need a good couchlock indica that forms big buds you will love Papaya.

longbud.jpg

Plop. Oasis cube with freshly popped sprout into 5 gallon bucket. I always start it in the same container I use to grow it to maturity to avoid transplant shock.

This will presumably work with peat pellets and rockwool thingys (I never use rockwool unless it happens to be around the clone I acquired, because of having to adjust the pH).

papaya1.jpg

I do mine similar to Hammy but here's my only twist. Instead of a 24 hr soak I let em stay in water for two or three days in a dark cubby. I don't believe what others have said about them drowning. ALL mine end up with a tap root within the three days and less than .4 percent fail to sprout after they go into the soil. I adopted this style after seeing a thread here where HippyInEngland left some seeds soaking and then had to leave town suddenly.He came back to tap roots an inch long. Since I started this, my personal success rate has gone up at least 25%. KISS.

got me worried I saw my tap roots start poking out last night after just a few hours after getting them out of 18hrs in water. I let them till this morning when the roots were over 1/2 " some of them. and poked them into the soil tap root down. my Philipeano farmer girl commented that arent the shoots meant to go up , thinking dont be stupid they are roots they go down . but it promtred me to read this after.. AND I READ THE TAP ROOT FACE UP .

Should I did them up and turn them over quick or just leave them..?????

I sow directly into an un-nuted soiless mix with good drainage, that retains water well and has a stable PH. I prefer Pro-mix BX and add dolomite.

I got 8 seeds in 8 cups of tap water half full , been in dark for a week and I put dem by the window for the next week, and I think I messed up. Its been almost two weeks and nothing yet. Are they done. Do I still have a chance to germ them. Any help will be greatly appreciated....

Sorry, johnny. I think they are a bust.

2 weeks in water and nothing showing means they are shot bro...I was having a really hard time getting my beans to pop in water so I went back to "the moist paper towel in a zip lock baggie on the cable box method", and within 2 days they all had nice sized tails popping out. Will be using that method from now on. Jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
2 weeks in water and nothing showing means they are shot bro...I was having a really hard time getting my beans to pop in water so I went back to "the moist paper towel in a zip lock baggie on the cable box method", and within 2 days they all had nice sized tails popping out. Will be using that method from now on. Jmo
:yeahthat:
or try planting directly in to soil...:D

:yeahthat:

Ive always had 100% success sowing directly into soil. Use MG Seed starter. Its ready to go as-is right out of the bag. Some do add dolomite. I make my own soil using Pro-mix BX + Mycro as my base. I would suggest Pro-mix, Dolomite Lime, a little worm castings and water with molasses. This is a great soil-less mix for seedlings, and you can add whatever ferts you chose when they hit veg.

Good luck!
Drft

you should take good care of your marijuana plants and provide them proper soil and water.

a great way for germinating involves scuffing the seed all the way around with an emery board or sandpaper. dont take off too much so it penetrates the shell. this will decrease the time for the tap root to come out since the abrasions allow water to penetrate more readily. although germinating in paper towels will allow you to know which seeds will be successful, it has an effect that is also detrimental. the taproot comes out of the shell and wants to grow downward so when you plant it the taproot has to adjust using vital energy to do so. also it exposes the taproot to light which as we know roots hate light. just a suggestion no need to go on a flame war if you disagree

Latest posts

Back