Sunset Cliffs: The New “Marijuana’s?”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
As I sat and waited in between sets yesterday, I tried to remember the story behind how that particular break got it’s name. Now it looks like the famed ‘Marijuana’s’ surf spot on the North Shore may have a challenger for the right to hold onto that name.

In the latest of a string of smuggling boats found washed up along the coast of San Diego county, the U.S. Coast Guard was called to a boat in distress off of Sunset Cliffs early yesterday morning. At the bottom of the rocks they arrived to find a completely totaled vessel, along with dozens of bails of marijuana that all-in-all came out to total 362 pounds. This is starting to be somewhat of an alarming trend as two abandoned boats believed to have been used for smuggling drugs and people washed ashore near Torrey Pines and Coronado within the last week alone.

One of my favorite things about surfing is that we have always give certain breaks names for any variety of reasons. It’s always interesting to hear the names of surf spots around the world and the story of how they came to be. With that being said, I think this seems as worthy a cause as any to give the break nearest to the crash site a new name. Any suggestions?

hxxp://5ones.com/sunset-cliffs-marijuanas-098/

That's crazy stuff. Wish I could find one of those!! Thanks Fruity. Take care and be safe.

Latest posts

Back