How dangerous is frost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman101

Reaction score
I've never planted as early as I'm planning this year (early april). I live in northern Ohio and the last frost date averages around may 1st. Can young plants endure a couple nights of frost? I'm not going to be able to be around them a lot, I'm guerilla growing, so I won't be able to immediately treat any damage and they are guranteed to have at least one night of frost. So, how dangerous is frost?

depends on what strian, what area, how cold,how long, condensation.... i mean theres so many variables. if your plants have been hardend to colder temps outside, theres a good chance.....but if its below freezing for a long period of time then theres little chance.

it all depends man, try a lil greenhouse, dome or plastic to cover them if your worried. but even that theres no guarentee....

It's reccommended with all young plants to wait until last frost before planting out.

Wait until last frost date at least. You don't gain much by early planting. If you wait until the ground warms up a bit your plants will start growing quickly and catch up to the ones planted earlier. A little frost in the fall with nice sunny days makes for big buds but frost in the spring can be a disaster.

Start them indoors under cfls or something and keep the light close to them. Once you get ready to take them outside AFTER the lst frost, make sure to acclimate them to the sun or they will turn white and die as has happended to me 20 years ago. By acclimating I mean set them in diffused light for a couple of days, then short periods of direct sunlight for a couple of days. They should be ready by then.

Latest posts

Back