Auto-Flower basics guide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the auto flowering plants arent meant for cloning, then you absolutely have to breed them if you dont want to pay $500 on seeds every other month? I am dying to try an autoflowering plant, but its either pay for feminized seeds or seperate them myself (which could turn into a disaster if badly timed, correct?)

I have been given some seeds that were explained to me to be a cross of an Auto Flower and Bubblegum. My question is this, is the Auto Flower trait dominant? Is there anyone who makes thier own seeds and may know?

Hello Tc :)

If the seeds were a simple cross of an Auto and a non Auto, roughly 5% of the seeds will be Auto.

These Auto's will need to be backcrossed with the original Auto strain several times to make the majority of the seeds have an Auto trait.

:peace:

BongShelter said:
I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Have you not heard
of a light-proof outdoor tent/cover? You can flower outside any
time the weather is warm enough and the sun angle is decent for
spectrum using any variety.

I have been studying autos recently and here are the benefits I
have found:

1) Short life cycle and quick turnaround time. Quickness in and
of itself is enough for some people. It also reduces the amount of
time a crop could get a bug infestation and the amount of time
human error could occur and the amount of time the crop can
be found by non-friendlys such as thieves, pigs, etc.

2) Most grow short and compact so they take up less space.

3) Auto-flowering removes the possibility of light-cycle interruptions
by indoor growers and basically removes the need for light-cycle
management.

4) Short cycle plants require less root space, smaller pots, and
less soil.

5) This is inconclusive...but some autos *may* have inherited
some hardiness traits from the ruderalis side like increased
tolerance to cold and/or bug resistance.

There may be more benefits to "autos" but I haven't found or
thought of them yet.

:afroweed:
My two cents on #5. I think I have noticed my LR2's hate the cold nights and it stunts thier growth a lot. For this reason I have to look for a really god microclimate in my area to keep them warmer at night.

yayyyy my auto white russian poped up. i got mine from dr chronic. it got her in like 4 days, shiped from uk n im in us.

my lrs are 20 days old, 4 inches high and bushy. i planted 5 and as far as i can tell no male yet, look like they are all going to be female:hubba:

If i buy autos and breed them are the seeds going to be autos? under my last post i asked if there was a way of breeding them and was told that i could, but two posts later someone said they had a batch of auto bred seeds and he asked if they would remain autos? Someone else answered that it will not stay an auto? Is that true? If so, how do you reproduce them?

They will all be auto seeds if sexing is with a female auto plant and pollen is from a male auto plant:hubba: .....

chefboyrd420 said:
If i buy autos and breed them are the seeds going to be autos? under my last post i asked if there was a way of breeding them and was told that i could, but two posts later someone said they had a batch of auto bred seeds and he asked if they would remain autos? Someone else answered that it will not stay an auto? Is that true? If so, how do you reproduce them?

we should have a definite answer on this very soon. my last drop of 5 autoflowers seeds came up 4 out of 5 males:confused: so i let one live for a few weeks and now my one female is clearly pollinated as i can see the seeds in the buds. i have never(purposely) grown a seed before. she should be ready to cut at the end of the month. shortly after that i will plant the seeds from her.

im sure im not the only one on this board who has done this.

I know I am going to feel real stupid when this is answered, but what is a GJ?
I would like to see pictures of some of you all's autoflower. I have been fortunate, I have been pretty much 50/50 so far, but I just cannot get them to get 6-8 inches tall at best, hydro setup. I have seen picks of what looks like about 14-15 inches and the plant is so loaded.... but they are neat to play with.

Gj = Grow Journal..... If You Cant Get Them Past 6-7" Then Your Obviously Doin Sumthin Wrong....first Of All What Breed Are You Using, 2. What Nutes Are U Using, And 3rd What Light, (t5's, 400watt, 600watt, Ect) You Said Your Doing Them In Hydro, Right? Well Are You Using The Correct Type Of Nuted, Checking Your Ph, Your Ec, Ppm, Ect////all Of That Is Very Important Especially In Hydro Growing....and Do You Have Good Air Circukation As Well As What Are Your Temps Like, (day & Night) And Finnaly What Is Your Humidity??? (50%-80% For Germation/seedlings/early Vegging-like First 3wks--------and 30%-40% During Flowering Last 5-7wks)

Any suggestions as to where to buy auto-flowering SEEDS? I just checked the online place I have used twice and they aint got. Sounds like something Id like to tr

y, being a person of little patience! Faster is better, in my book, LOL. But WHERE to order?

LassChance

i breeded to autos of same strain together and they dont sprout grrr been a week already upset now

should u trim the leafs back on the low rider 2 strain or will it shock them due to there short life cycle

LassChance said:
Any suggestions as to where to buy auto-flowering SEEDS? I just checked the online place I have used twice and they aint got. Sounds like something Id like to tr

y, being a person of little patience! Faster is better, in my book, LOL. But WHERE to order?

LassChance

I know Attitude has them....that's where I get mine from...

Interesting thread, i had always frowned upon autos but the more i read about them the more i can see myself adding more autos to my room.

They make a lot of sense if you think about it, not dependant on a photoperiod so one can slot them into any pre existing grow at any stage.

Planted my first batch of autos 4 days ago and already they have their first set of true leaves...thats pretty fast imo.

I have a few q's tho.
Supposing i wanted to do a grow for seed and plan on two batches, the first batch grown for males to pollinate the second batch.

What sort of time line between planting the two batches would i be looking at?

In the past when i've seeded non auto plants it was always around the 4th and 5th week of flowering that way i get a large amount of seeds. From a 3 oz plant 800-900 as an example.

What sort of seed yeild will the average well grown auto yield?

Reason i'm asking is i want to start getting to grips with pure sativa's but the huge flowering periods have always put me off...nobody wants to run out of herb while waiting for an 18 week sat to finish:rolleyes: .
So i'm thinking with these auto flowering strains i can finally veg some sats for a few months ( height is not an issue ) but still harvest some buds from the autos in both the veg and flower room.

Awesome info all around, I will be breeding, seeding and stuffin before too long here. Anyone do any interesting crosses they would like to share?

Latest posts

Back