Carbon Filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started my flowering light cycle pretty recently and will need to get my exhaust and filtration set up soon. My area is only 31 cubic ft (half my closet up to a shelf). I have six still unsexed plants (and of unknown genetics for this first experimental grow) under 2 ft., with two of the most vigorous successfully topped during vegetation. It is divided by black-and-white poly and has a wooden shelf (covering half the depth by itself) above the hanging rod (which my switchable 400W internally ballasted system hangs from). I plan on using plywood to cover the rest of the top of this area and put my ventilation through that. I will keep the poly as the side barrier and plan to cut two round holes at the bottom with short lengths of flexible ducting through them (to keep direct light from escaping) for the passive intake.

I will be making a trip to Home Depot to buy a regular old Suncourt Inductor inline fan (the more affordable straight-through design, not a centrifugal blower) and most of the supplies for one of these carbon scrubbers. The 4" only has a free-air CFM of 40, so I'll opt for the 6" at 160 free-air CFM (which should obviously be plenty for such a small space). I'm thinking I'll stick with the 1" layer of carbon outlined in these instructions but also buy a replacement carbon filter made for air cleaners (the fiber type) to wrap around the outside as well.

Also, I was thinking of having the srubber hang into to the space and pulling the air through it. I've read that it would srub the air more evenly/efficiently using all of the surface area that way. I'm also thinking the fiber filter would make a nice prefilter and that the fan would remain more free of debris having the air fully filtered before it even reaches the fan. Also, that keeps the scrubber from being visible from the outside of the "chamber" itself (would still be to the side in the closet regardless), just in case, as this is my only closet in the front room of my apartment (just have a main/bedroom, a kitchen, and a small bathroom). Of course, I have almost no visitors (and NONE yet that aren't completely cool), and my uncool parents shouldn't be stepping foot in the place anytime before this grow is finished.

So, what do you guys suggest for the length of my 6"x8" scrubber given the specifications of my fan and installation, and do you think it is better to create a vacuum in the filter (**** air through) or blow air into/through the filter? Regardless, I cannot vent outdoors and will just be exhausting into the top of my closet and have a small fan up on the shelf directing air out of the closet. I already have caulk and a gun to seal up the few cracks and gaps in my closet and will probably also do an ONA bucket with fan like this: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17337. Any other suggestions? I'm on the first floor of a two-story house with a stair entry separating the back wall of my closet from one of the two other apts. downstairs. The upstairs is a 3-bedroom that those stairs go to but is empty right now (thank goodness).

I suggest you blow air through the scrubber, so you can save some growing room. This would also give you the option of pulling air through your reflector. I'd keep the fan attached directly to the scrubber.

I've never heard of it being more efficient to pull air through. :confused2:

So you're building the two DIY filters? That might be overkill, though maybe you want to cover up the smell of carbon.

I think you might have an issue with heat.. those fans move much less air with filters, and 400w in a small space will get hot fast.

Okay, I'll just stick with one or the other. BTW, I never was thinking of distancing the fan from the scrubber with ducting in between.

On another note, I examined sex tonight after more research on that. I got positive male ID on 5 of my 6 plants (ARGH!) and a positive female ID on the other one. So now I just have one plant in there. Should I opt for the filled carbon or the cheaper/easier fiber one?

You should still go with the one that will work best for your grow area as if it were completely full. Bummer with the males man. However, next time the odds for females should be on your side! :aok: IMO, the filled carbon filters are the only way to go... from what I've read anyways.

I jsut made one of these using this thread...

Its great, works well too...

Will post pic later...

This is a great How-To. Thanks!

Bubby said:
I've never heard of it being more efficient to pull air through. :confused2:
It's more efficient to pull than push in this scenario because...It's hard to put into words...Think about a cube with holes in two opposing walls; if you try to exchange air by using a "push" configuration, it will tend to cause turbulence as it's trying to equalize the pressure by pushing air out of the passive exhaust. If, on the other hand, you use a "pull" configuration, it will tend to pull fresh air from the passive intake, and smoothly exhaust the hot air through the fan.

Does that make sense?:)

Whoa... After enjoying a seriously large spliff with a friend, it makes total sense! Thank you! :48:

I took a 5 gallon bucket, cut 4" hole in lid and bottom. took an 8" piece of 4" pvc, drilled it full of 1/4" holes, cut it in 2, capped both ends, glued each over the holes inside lid and bottom...I then filled the bucket with activated carbon pellets(from pet store)...I attached the 4" fan inline for exhaust and directed out of the room with flexible conduit...

this device kept the smell down in my closet grow just fine for 3-4 months and then I just directed the unfiltered exhaust outside the 3rd floor and never worried about again...

A few days late on the pics... oh well I'm lazy....

I still amazed at how well this works...

Thanks again...

DSCN1470.JPG

I want to build one, I dont understand the carbon part though, how does the application work? I know it's the key to this, however... :(

Although not the most reliable of sources, this gives a run down on activated carbon. Check it out. This is what you were questioning correct?

when i got mine made, with a fan on top blowing into it, turned it on and black dusty stuff came out. How can i keep this from happening? wash the carbon off or something? any help?
:farm: Bud

Have you ever replaced a carbon filter for an aquarium ? Same deal rinse away the dust, or if you don't want it to get wet then run the fan and give the filter a bunch of gentle taps untill you don't see dust any more, or just blow it out outside if you have an air-compressor.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Sweet design Bro, you ought to think of marketing that one cause it is simple and easy to make, great instructional.

Thanks man. Can't say I came up with it as I'm fairly sure it originated from OverGrow. But, it does what it's designed to do, and it does it well. ;)

How long is the charcol good for in your set up?

Having a filter sounds GOOD and all, BUT yea a But, It takes up the smelling air out, but what happens when u open the door to check or water ur plants and all the smelly order comes out through the door and into ur room so what do u do??
do use spray or incents that room afterwards!!
I got 3 plants in my bedroom closet and they have a smell, but I don't worry about it because I use those auto spray freashners around the house and my plants are fine with it..
Now my grow room out side I am going to put one in my shop for the smell..

Well, when I had it setup, I could walk into the grow room and not even smell the plants. The fan was pulling enough air to cause almost a vacuum effect in the room. That's really the only way I know how to explain it. So, just know that my house did not stink whenever I opened the grow room's door.

How long does it last? Well, I used it for four months and the carbon didn't need to be replaced. They say that it will last 6 months or more of continuous use. Activated Carbon is the only way to efficiently "clean" your air.

damn, i dont own stupid pet fish, you should edit the original DIY to include rinsing off the charcoal so people don't get nasty black dust all over the place.
:farm: Bud

This is friggen excellent, really clean design too. Great job.:)

Latest posts

Back