Please help plant dying!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazed13

Reaction score
Leaves have black and yellow spots, buds look ok but some big leaves are dying. Leaves have purple stems. Its like its dying from the bottom up. I have it in a 5 gallon bucket. I used miracle grow potting soil. The plants about 2 1/2 feet tall has been flowering about a month. Thanks for any responses.

View attachment image.jpg

Miracle grow is really not a good soil to use--next time, check out some of the threads on good soil mixtures.

Check the plant well for bugs. Some of them are almost microscopic and you need magnification to see.

What are you feeding them? How much and how often? Are you adjusting the pH? Tell us more about your room set-up--how large it is, type and size of lights you are using, temps, RH.

Do you know what strain you are growing?

Why is the plant so close to the edge of the bucket? This will. impede root growth.

There is very little bud development on the bottom part of the plant for this to have been in flowering for a month. Give us more info on your grow and we will see what we can do to get this plant back on track.

My grow is very low tech, i have a certain spot on my back patio where it gets ok direct sunlight. I dont know about ph. I just use plain tap water. I dont really feed it anything except some plant food i bought at walmart last week. Its close to the edge because i had numerous seedlings which i only selected one female.

The strain is some kind of mexican weed. I planted late in the season so the plant is small but flowering. I was thinking too that maybe the plant too close to the edge is bad but now that you mention it i think next step is too put plant in a bigger pot centered. I wiil try to post more pics.

View attachment image.jpg

Your plants need food....but not just any food. Nutrients that have the wrong ratio of N-P-K can actually retard bud growth. You want something very very low in N, higher P, with the K somewhere in the middle. Most commercial fertilizers have way too much N for proper flowering of cannabis. I really recommend getting somerthing right away formulated for cannabis. If you do not have anything locally, you need to order it online. A plant that is not fed will not thrive. I am quite sure that you probably have multiple nutrient deficiencies.

NEVER put more than 1 plant in a single container. Also do not start seeds in a large container like a 5 gal--this actually impedes good root growth as it is hard to get the water and nutrients where they need to go and to make sure they are getting the correct amount of everything.

You are not going to want to go larger than a 5 gal bucket with a plant that size.

Ok will definitely look for better food. Would moving the plant to the center help at all? If so how do i move it.

:eek: THRIP ALERT!!! :eek:

That is classic thrip damage. They start at the bottom of the plant and chew their way up. They will destroy the plant if they aren't knocked out right away. You can verify that it is thrips by using a 10-20x magnifying lens and looking on the leaves slowly and carefully for little white larva. If you want to be sure what you are looking for then do a Google Image search ffor "Thrips" and you will see loads of pics.

Get some Azomax ASAP and do a soil drench with 5ml to 2 liters of water. Be sure to adjust the pH to about 6.5 before adding it to the soil. Give it 9 days and then do it again and the thrips will be gone.

Your plants need food....but not just any food. Nutrients that have the wrong ratio of N-P-K can actually retard bud growth. You want something very very low in N, higher P, with the K somewhere in the middle. Most commercial fertilizers have way too much N for proper flowering of cannabis. I really recommend getting somerthing right away formulated for cannabis. If you do not have anything locally, you need to order it online. A plant that is not fed will not thrive. I am quite sure that you probably have multiple nutrient deficiencies.

NEVER put more than 1 plant in a single container. Also do not start seeds in a large container like a 5 gal--this actually impedes good root growth as it is hard to get the water and nutrients where they need to go and to make sure they are getting the correct amount of everything.

You are not going to want to go larger than a 5 gal bucket with a plant that size.

i read somewhere that all plants require more K than P and due to the availabitlity and ease of use of monopotassium phosphate which has more P than K and basically the hard time/cost it adds to have a higher K ratio that generic fert manufacturers market high p products. is mj exceptional in that aspect?

Hushpuppy called it. You have thrips, at the least.

You can actually see adult thrips without magnification. They look like tiny reapers (if you've played Mass Effect), which I think is very cute.

I have used two methods to get rid of them successfully - Spinosad (many products contain it) and these little black beetles my girlfriend found. I forget what they're called, but they're very sweet and don't damage your crop.

As for the black spots on the leaves.. I've never seen that before.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back