Growing Marijuana Forum

Bud of the Month, Grass Monkey - Photo by Kraven!
Go Back   Marijuana Growing Forum > Marijuana Forums > Marijuana Cuisine - Marijuana Recipes - Marijuana Cooking
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Hackerman

Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman
Default How long will canna butter last?

I made some butter last week and because I don't do edibles much, I put most of it in the freezer. Does anyone have any experience with how long canna butter will last in the freezer?

Thanks
Hackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
oldfogey8

oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8

i make mine out of coconut oil because it keeps for a long time. i had a batch in my refrigerator for over a year. not sure if you make it out of butter. i have kept regular butter in the freezer and used it after a few months for baking with no noticeable change.

My Buckeye Purple and Super Buckeye grow - http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=70309
oldfogey8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
Hackerman

Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman Hackerman

fogey, when you make your coconut oil, do you use water?

I made some yesterday and I used 3 grams of hash (dry sift), 4 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil and about 1/2 cup of water.

I put all that in the double boiler and cook it at about 200F to 220F for about 8 hours (adding water throughout to keep the 2-1 ratio up).

After a few hours in the fridge I drained off the water and remelted the oil. Then, I poured it though a 90u mesh to strain out the hash and I got back about 3 1/2 tbsp of oil. Lost a 1/2 tbsp in the squeeze, probably. Couple more hours in the fridge to harden and.... bingo, all done.

Just ate a teaspoon portion. We'll see in an hour or so.

I wonder if anyone has tried to use a coffee percolator? 1 cup of butter, 2 cups of water and fill the basket with decarbed pot. The optimum brewing temperature for coffee is about 200F so that's probably the temperature that a percolator would use. If the butter didn't clog things up, it might work.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
oldfogey8

oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8 oldfogey8

dude, a teaspoon sounds like an awful lot. i could be wrong. lol. have fun.

but, yes, i use water and a slow cooker. i put about 500 grams of cocount oil in the slow cooker and about 250 grams (all i can fit) of trim, stems, fan leaves, etc in the pot and then fill the pot up with water. i cook it overnightish on low-medium. i try to not let it boil. then i pour it thru a collander lined with cheese cloth to strain out the big stuff. let it cool a little and squeeze the heck out of it. i let that water/squeezins chill so the oil solidfy and reheat the balled up cheese cloth in more water and kinda repeat. sometimes i repeat again. it is kinda a pain in the rear but i love the cannabutter brownies. i usually get about 400 grams out of the 500 i put in. i made approx 800 grams of butter from my outdoor plant. that makes me 4 batches of brownies(80 per batch). i eat about a half of a brownie and i am good. so that is about a gram of butter per dose for me. the interweb says you munched 4 and a half grams. seeing as how you used keef/hash, you are going to be buzzing pretty good... have fun.

My Buckeye Purple and Super Buckeye grow - http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=70309
Old 01-13-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
Hackerman

My tolerance in through the roof. I felt a tiny buzz but not enough. I'm going to double or triple the dose tomorrow and see if that's better. It was 3 grams of hash total so I would hope it would make 3 doses. Tonight's test was only about 1/3 of a dose so I didn't really expect much. I figure a tablespoon is a dose. That should equal about a gram of hash worth.

I just ate the oil tonight. I wonder if it's better to incorporate it into cupcakes or brownies. I may bake a couple cupcakes with the rest to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:40 AM   #6
oldfogey8

Did u decarboxylate? Supposedly heat turns into the THCA into usable THC. I have found if I don't cook my brownies long enough, the potentcy is lower. I have even re-baked and found the brownies are stronger. I would say try using it to bake with.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 AM   #7
Hackerman

Yes, I decarb'd first. But, I also think you are right about longer being better. I'll bake some cupcakes tomorrow.

Thanks again
Old 01-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Hackerman

Well, I'm going to give it another shot today.

I took 8 grams of low grade bubble and dry sift and decarbed it in the oven at 240F for 40 minutes.

I melted down 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) of coconut oil and added the 8 grams of hash and sift.

I have it in a small double boiler right now and I am going to cook it just like it is for a while (no water added).

However, I have always added water to the mix and then let it separate after cooking.

Has anyone ever cooked the butter/oil without adding water?

I'll let it go like this for a few hours and then and then, maybe add a cup or 2 of water and let it cook the rest of the day. We'll see.

This should make about 12 cupcakes. That's about 2/3 gram in each cupcake. Hopefully, I will get off on 2.

In the past, I have always squeezed the butter through a 90 micron silkscreen cloth but today I think I'm going to try a Buchner or Hirsch Funnel and a vacuum. I saw Skunkpharm do it that way and it looked pretty cool.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
Hackerman

Couple observations.

With the double boiler method that I am using today, the water is boiling and, therefore, about 212F but the canna mixture itself stays at about 190F. I usually cook it (crockpot or stovetop) at about 220F.

Also, with the stovetop/crockpot method where I add water to the canna mix, the entire mixture boils and bubbles and it seems like that would agitate the hash a lot more, resulting in a better extraction. Seems logical.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
oldfogey8

i must admit, mine does boil/simmer too. i have read that it should not but i have good results. hope your experiment goes well, hackerman. i am on my 2nd brownie of the day but i got up early...

Old 01-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
Hackerman

I switched over to the stove top method.

I added 1 1/2 cups of water to the canna oil and it's on the stove top on low.

The mixture is simmering nicely at about 210F - 220F. I'll let it do that all day, adding a little water now and then. I have the container covered so not all the water evaps out. Some time tonight, I'll take it off and put it in the fridge to settle.

I am hoping that will extract most of the cannabanoids.