question about leaving plants outside

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
I take my pants outside in the morning and back in after dark.
It gets light at 6:eek:o am and dark at 9:00 pm i.e. 15 hours light and 9 hours dark.
I put them under a light till 1:00 am = 18 hours light = vegetative growth.

Now, it is summer! Shouldn't I be able to leave plants outside 24 hours?
It would save tons of work and nothing will flower till late September .

Thank you...

The Poet...

Yes, you can leave them outside. Taking them in and out can bring pests and disease into your grow room. The lengthening nights will signal the plants to start flowering--you will not have to wait until the days and nights are 12 hours. They will start flowering before the end of Sept. They will most likely start flowering towards the end of July, first part of August to finish around the end of Sept or first half of Oct. depending on how indica or sativa they are.

I've been using the sun a lot this year, especially to veg.
Just the next crop of 9 and a few clone mothers, but moving them in and out while not that hard of a job is time consuming. Then I realized that there was a conflict between books and my knowledge of local plant-ology.
Of course I can leave them out all night and the books are all wrong. I guess its the inside/outside thing that makes the difference. Under hid lights they are probably safer at 18 hours for vegging.

The new strain the Goji is loosing all its leaves when flowering! Like when a chicken molts! Every leaf just dies! Real weird.

Thank you Goddess...

The Poet...

every leaf??? i have seen half the leaves. mostly the oldest die off way before their time. i believe it was root rot from over watering.... every leaf is one i have not seen.

Yes, the flowering Goji have had their leaves die off but then to a lesser extent so have the Satori. Its hot weather and they were real dry so this must have had a hand in the leaf loss. Now a week later they are all doing better with new small leaves coming out. After picking the dead leaves off the new growth is fine and the buds are too, harvest in 24 days.

Thank you...

the poet...

Loosing leaves like that is not normal. There is something not good causing this. As all the photosynthesis takes place in the leaves, this is most likely really affecting yield.

Goddess,

Sorry, to be more exact, the leaves don't 'fall off' but just 'dry up'!
I picked the dead and dry leaves off and new one came out within a few days.
I must have let them go to long without water.

I love it here...

the poet...

We like having you here poet. Sounds like you have gotten some good advice. Greenest of mojo to you!

Yes, you can leave them outside. Taking them in and out can bring pests and disease into your grow room. The lengthening nights will signal the plants to start flowering--you will not have to wait until the days and nights are 12 hours. They will start flowering before the end of Sept. They will most likely start flowering towards the end of July, first part of August to finish around the end of Sept or first half of Oct. depending on how indica or sativa they are.

Goddess, The first time I read your post I didn't believe it!
Plants flower in the fall when the hours are 12/12 don't they?
Well... mine are flowering exactly like you said, during the end of July!
How did you know that?
Of course I haven't flowered outside in years and am really out of touch with things.
Having just mastered inside I was saving elec. by using
the sun. I may have ruined 14 Oregon Grown og's as a result.
14 Illumanati {from seeds} right next to my Oregon og clones, made balls.
I trashed them as I thought they were freaks. {didn't like them anyway}

I can replace the strain with more seeds so all is well but 2 months early flowering has really thrown me off.
Now that I think about it I remember an outside crop 25 years ago.
I had a crop of Mexican dirt weed flower in the summer!

Thank you...

The Poet...

Latest posts

Back