This Summer's Garden Set Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burner

Reaction score
Framed and fenced the garden today. It's 16' x 13' ...grew in this spot last year, but with just moving in the house I didn't have time to get it properly set up. Also built a compost bin off to the left. Planning on running 2 sprinklers in there in the next few weeks. Can't wait to get growing this year. :farm:

This year we'll be doing:
  • Ramapo Tomatoes
  • Few other Tomatoes
  • Sweet Bell Pepper Mix
  • Long Hots
  • Thai Chilli's
  • Cantaloupe (trellised)
  • Cucumber (trellised)
  • Eggplant
  • Zucchini (new hybrid im trying, sopposed to grow in a smaller footprint and still spit out a bunch of veggies)
  • Probably a few other things as well
  • The usual herbs: basil, rosemary, scallions, parsley

Second pic is just a small raised bed we built last year out of some old railroad ties that were behind the shed, grew out some monster sunflowers...plan on doing the same this year.

View attachment WP_20140412_018.jpg

View attachment WP_20140412_019.jpg

Awesomness... That is going to be big garden... Have fun... I envy your space. I love spring and planning gardens....Veggie mojo!

Thanks Rose! The weather here has finally started to get nice... hovering in the 60's - 70's. I love planning it too, really can't wait to start picking fresh veggies again :farm:

I love having a veggy garden. It is so nice to be able to just go outside and pick a salad. Nice sized space you have there. I grow pretty much entirely in raised beds because my ground is so bad.

Green Mojo for your veggies!

Nice burner...I just planted Jalapenos yesterday in my outdoor garden. I tilled the soil a while ago and onions and garlic started coming up on their own where I grew them last year.

THG - I grew in a raised bed once and really liked it. The ground here is pretty good, just need to work it a bit. I usually dig a slightly larger hole for each plant and fill/raise it with my soil mix. Usually just local jersey soil they bag up here, perlite, vermiculite, and some organic fertilizers.

Hammy - I was thinking of picking up some jalepeno's as well maybe even some habenero's ...always need some spice up in there....missed planting garlic this year, hopefully will get them in this fall. Grew some killer bhut jolokia's in a 2 gal. smart pot outdoors last year....way too hot to eat though

Yeah I wanted to grow those bhut jolokias but the wife talked me out of it. I almost killed her one year when I grew habaneros and decided to fry up a couple indoors. I created some sort of pepper spray that had her gasping for air. She had to evacuate the house to get fresh air. LOL.

hahahaah, that's great. I maced myself with Habenero's a few years back. Was cutting some up, and didn't wash my hands well enough, then splashed some water on my face. Then proceeded to go to the bathroom. Few min later I was on fire, jumped in a cold shower then stood in front of a fan naked for a few min. Bad time ...won't ever make that mistake again lol :p

burner i see the rolls with the fabric you layed down i am courious as too what is the use of the fabric on the rows what does it do? I am doing a fef vegtibals my self not as big a space as yours but am new to gradening .

Looking nice Burner, really nice. That plastic keeps heat in and weeds out.

Thanks Rose! Skullcandy, exactly what Rose said, the fabric will keep weeds out. It will allow water to pass thru as well. You can get it at any big box store.

Latest posts

Back