First Time Growing Purple (LED | SCROG)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chababuds

Reaction score
What's up ladies & fellas! This will be my 2nd grow journal as I was blown away by all the helpful advice you guys gave me on my last grow. Since my Gorilla Glue #4 came out so well, I figured I'd push myself for this grow and attempt to grow some colorful/purple weed. I went to a very reputable clone house in LA (Midnight Farms) and spent about an hour with the guy there going over each strain to find those highest in anthocyanin (a genetic indicator of its likelihood to exhibit purple/blue hues). I ended up selecting the girls below as they are both colorful indica dominant hybrids with prestige. I know it's going to be a ***** trying to get nighttime temps in Los Angeles low enough to trigger a color change, but I figured it's worth a shot (any tips are more than welcome). My setup is as follows:

THE GIRLS:

-1 Mendo Breath clone (Gage Green Genetics)
-1 Purple Animal Kush clone (Inhouse Genetics)

THE TOOLS:

-1 gallon pots transplanted to 5 gallon pots
-2'x2'x4' Mylar grow tent
-300w Viparspectra Reflector series LED
-4 23w 2700k CFL
-2 23w 6500k CFL
-Passive Intake w/ Terrabloom 185cfm exhaust
-2 oscillating fans
-SCROG screen with 2"x2" holes

THE FOOD (Feeding Schedule Below):

-Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil
-Fox Farms base nutrient trio
-Cal-Mag
-Liquid Bat Guano
-Unsulphured molasses
-Atami Bloombastic (PK booster for late flower)
-FF Cha-Ching (PK booster for late flower)
-Humbolt County Snow Storm Ultra
-Humbolt County PurpleMaxx
-Superthrive

3a50e7947659dd65c58293b33bbfb1e4.jpg
a794970faddbefa5813ba2de0f7aa07f.jpg
07eae7299ce04b5463422a4781a59561.jpg
9cf3d0d1f9b2c273049c535dd39a3835.jpg
1188f20ca4f6cbf6787768eb789515f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckeye Purple is very purple not dependent on temps. Welcome to MP. Please allow your plants to dry before watering. MJ needs doesn't like to be wet all the time. You probably already know that.
Your line up is looking good. Mojo for your grow. Glad you found us.

Buckeye Purple is very purple not dependent on temps. Welcome to MP. Please allow your plants to dry before watering. MJ needs doesn't like to be wet all the time. You probably already know that.
Your line up is looking good. Mojo for your grow. Glad you found us.

Yeah I couldnt find any Buckeye or GDP etc...closest I could get was Purple Animal Kush and Mendo. Do you have any tips to help triggers color change (other than temp)? Bag appeal is important to me as I enter the grow in local festivals

I don't, I wish I did. Just the temperature. I bet you will get some purps.

i grew some buckeye purple 2 times. both times the buds were nice and purple but the best looking were the ones i grew in the winter. i think because my basement was pretty cool and the tent would get into the 50's during lights off. i didn't really do anything purposely to get the purple bud but i, like you, like good bag appeal. i think my signature has my grow journals. good luck to you. i'm going to pull up a chair and watch.

i grew some buckeye purple 2 times. both times the buds were nice and purple but the best looking were the ones i grew in the winter. i think because my basement was pretty cool and the tent would get into the 50's during lights off. i didn't really do anything purposely to get the purple bud but i, like you, like good bag appeal. i think my signature has my grow journals. good luck to you. i'm going to pull up a chair and watch.

Yeah it's going to be a ***** getting temps that low in Los Angeles. I'm thinking of building one of those DIY A/C fan units with spiraled copper wire pumping cold water through (picture below)
c12f8cd45c12b5cc2b71ad23b24446e2.jpg
. Any other ideas for ways to drop my temp enough to trigger a solid color change?

i am kinda cheap but a regular air conditioning might be a better option so you could control the temps better. my old tent was a 2x2x4 mothers tent that i used 6 high output t5 bulbs in and it got warmer than i think the plants like with just that type fixture. also, for a tent that size, i think the 5 gallon pots might be overkill(someone else can chime in as i may be wrong). i grow in 3 gallon felt pots and have gotten some decent yeilds(and some crappy ones too) with my low dough set up. i filled the 2x4 space from corner to corner with 2 master kush plants when i tried a scrog using the 3 gallon pots(i have attached some pics). i now have 1200 watt king led. it puts out a lot of light and even though leds are supposed to be cooler than hps lamps, my new 3x3x7 tent still got pretty warm even with me exhausting the air outside in the winter in new england.

View attachment IMG_1954.jpg

View attachment IMG_1910.jpg

I've never quite understood purposely stressing your plants with cold simply to get a pretty color?

Why not get a strain that is purple without the stress if color is that important to you?

I've never quite understood purposely stressing your plants with cold simply to get a pretty color?

Why not get a strain that is purple without the stress if color is that important to you?

Well I did get a strain high in anthocyanin but I've heard low temps can help trigger a color change. I'm solely doing this to mainly see if I CAN. Just trying to grow something different, plus those purple nugs are gorgeous! The main question is why not?

i am kinda cheap but a regular air conditioning might be a better option so you could control the temps better. my old tent was a 2x2x4 mothers tent that i used 6 high output t5 bulbs in and it got warmer than i think the plants like with just that type fixture. also, for a tent that size, i think the 5 gallon pots might be overkill(someone else can chime in as i may be wrong). i grow in 3 gallon felt pots and have gotten some decent yeilds(and some crappy ones too) with my low dough set up. i filled the 2x4 space from corner to corner with 2 master kush plants when i tried a scrog using the 3 gallon pots(i have attached some pics). i now have 1200 watt king led. it puts out a lot of light and even though leds are supposed to be cooler than hps lamps, my new 3x3x7 tent still got pretty warm even with me exhausting the air outside in the winter in new england.

Good to know man maybe 3gal would be better? My last grow was crowded but 5 gal still got the job done. Maybe 3 would give them a bit more room

thinking about it, my plants root ball are always pretty dense so if they will fit in the tent, you might be better off with the 5 gallon pots. i would think a larger root ball would benefit the plants. i have to water every other day. maybe the 5 gallon would give you a longer wet/dry cycle.

thinking about it, my plants root ball are always pretty dense so if they will fit in the tent, you might be better off with the 5 gallon pots. i would think a larger root ball would benefit the plants. i have to water every other day. maybe the 5 gallon would give you a longer wet/dry cycle.

Yeah the 5 gal was a tight fit but it seemed to work. I was pretty happy with my yield. I considered moving down to 3 gal but wasn't sure it'd produce as much or be able to fully fill my SCROG screen. What are you Growing right now?

i have satori and green crack that i cloned from my winter indoor grow going now. i think i have both satori phenotypes because one looks so different from the other they are like schwarzenegger and divito in twins. one started to flower 2 weeks earlier than the others and is clearly ahead of the other 4 plants i have. 2 are planted in the woods and 3 are in my yard. i have 3 gorilla glue crosses from a guy up in maine that i want to grow this fall/winter but i have clones of my clones so i don't know where to put them. my wife wants more cbd nordle too so i am in a bit of a pickle... first world problems...

i have satori and green crack that i cloned from my winter indoor grow going now. i think i have both satori phenotypes because one looks so different from the other they are like schwarzenegger and divito in twins. one started to flower 2 weeks earlier than the others and is clearly ahead of the other 4 plants i have. 2 are planted in the woods and 3 are in my yard. i have 3 gorilla glue crosses from a guy up in maine that i want to grow this fall/winter but i have clones of my clones so i don't know where to put them. my wife wants more cbd nordle too so i am in a bit of a pickle... first world problems...

Hahaha first world probs for sure. That Gorilla Glue is fun to grow, buds come out snow covered!

VEG WEEK 3:

Ok so I repotted both girls into 5-gal pots and began my 4-way LST (result of topping) to prepare for SCROG. However, the MENDO Breath is growing MUCH faster than the Purple Animal Kush. You can see in the pics below that the Mendo is damn near double the size of the Kush. The fan leaves are much smaller too. Both girls look healthy otherwise. Any idea what my problem is? Or is it just strain-based? I'm feeding them the exact same, so I'm leaning towards something to do with the Kush strain growing shorter and bushier with smaller fan leaves. Any input would be much appreciated. (I watered them in the bathtub btw, hence the pictures)
00096da6d4a816876e48323eca3dc560.jpg
e4d527b9d43549858783dab404968e75.jpg
7e4ca38ca85ac24c9a7b3f001c7327ba.jpg
ebf2610cf260fa94c05300b834a86d36.jpg
b1520c3f15b7824e2df97de5ed476be6.jpg

Different strains, different growth rates. I ran into this on my last grow. I had a barneys farm seed in with my hso seeds and it didnt react as well to the nutes and growing method as my hso seeds. It was a runt basically. I gave itto a friend who put it in soil and the plant thrived. On your plants its not that much of a disparity yet. So wait and see.

It could simply be different growth rates because of the strain or it could also be different growth rates due to nutrient needs of the different strain. One may be hungrier than the other. You could try boosting the nutrient ratio for the Animal Kush and see if it responds well.

It could simply be different growth rates because of the strain or it could also be different growth rates due to nutrient needs of the different strain. One may be hungrier than the other. You could try boosting the nutrient ratio for the Animal Kush and see if it responds well.

Good call I think I'll give that a shot

VEG WEEK 3:

Ok so I tapped into my own stoner ingenuity and rigged up a DIY AC unit to keep the temps in my tent low enough to induce a color change during flower. I looped some copper refrigerator tubing around the face of my fan, then ran that to a aquarium pump I submerged in a cooler with ice blocks and ice water. The pump pushes cold water throughout the copper tubes, which, with the fan blowing through the looped copper, creates cold air. I was able to drop my temps damn near 15 degrees! Lasts the whole night so each morning all I have to do is replace the ice. I'm hoping when flower hits and the outside temps drop I'll be able to get the tent temp down to the low 60s (its high 90s outside right now and with the DIY AC I'm at 75 in the tent).
420-magazine-mobile1592022374.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1661288029.jpg
420-magazine-mobile710077791.jpg

Latest posts

Back