Rockwool Cubes in Super Soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokeyPuppy420

Reaction score
I'm a Super Soil user, and I've been planting seeds in Rapid Rooter plugs for a long time. They work fine, but I'd like to try planting seeds in 1.5" rockwool cubes instead. Rockwool cubes are cleaner and stand up well on their own.

After sprouting, I would plant the rockwool cubes directly in Roots Organic soil, and eventually transplant into Super Soil.

Would these small rockwool cubes interfere with the natural PH balance of the soil? I really don't want to PH-balance my feeding water. Nor do I want to PH-balance water in which to rinse the rockwool cubes before planting. The reason I switched to organic growing was to get away from PH-balancing.

Thanks.

IDK, I've never had much luck with RW and seeds. My kid does apparently, but doesn't know enough to tell me what he did.

I use RW all the time for clones and the Clonex solution and my tap water keeps the pH right.

Once I transplant the rooted clones I pay no more attention to the pH and just use tap water.

Freshly rooted clones go into used mix and when well rooted, transplanted into hotter soil.

But, that little RW cube is pretty much ignored once it goes into soil mix.

Wet

It is fine to use rockwool cubes. They work fine for me. Do you presoak them in waer pH's to 5.5 as recommended?

I've only grown in a super soil once. I started my seeds in Rock Wool Cubes, no Phing, just tap water 'till I saw extending roots. Then transplanted into smart pots of super soil. I thought it worked very well.

What's wrong with sowing your seed direct to the grow medium?

I always start seed that way, can't remember the last time I had a dud.

Hey pokey, read mandalaseed.com about starting seeds. it is a winner.

Melvan said:
What's wrong with sowing your seed direct to the grow medium?

I always start seed that way, can't remember the last time I had a dud.

But, but, this is MJ! Surely you can't plant it like lima beans, or corn, or you know, ordinary seeds. The internet says so.:holysheep: :hubba:

Excellent point Melvan.:icon_smile:

Check out Rosebud's link, about the best tutorial out there.

Wet

as long as the cubes are not exposed to light you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back