Ballast location

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ20

Super Sativa
Reaction score
Buenos Dias,
I have a 400w Universal Magnetic ballast.I have the ballast separate from the grow in another compartment.The compartment is made of a hard wood (the grow is in a set of cupboards like), has some sort of white mdf like coating in it and is abt 2.5ft long, ~2 ft wide and maybe 1 ft tall.Now the ballast makes alot of heat, there is no fan in there.Specifications say case temps can be up to 180C, it doesnt feel like that at all when the compartment door is closed after 14 hours or so.My problem is, the ballast has somewhat stuck to the bottom of the compartment because of its heat.In my eyes this can be hazardous, would a tile or brick between the ballast and wood compartment floor suffice?Give me your advice and views..

Peace and HG

My opinion is that the excess heat left to build up around the ballast will cause the ballast to burn out quicker, I'd not put it into any enclosure...personally!

I would put it on a piece of tile down first. Good air flow around the ballast will help cool and extend the life of your ballast.

I hang my ballast from the ceiling. Air can circulate around it, and it stays relatively cool.