Thinking to go organic next year

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ston-loc

Reaction score
Not sure what route would best go with my style of growing. Thinking ahead, if i go the super soil route, how long ahead of time I need to start prepping before the grow actually begins. I've been a GH3 grower for the previous handful of years in a soil less medium. Random Saturday thinking while high.
What say any of you that want to chime in... Super soil vs mixing into water daily to feed. Still trying to mentally grasp organic growing so dont be too harsh :stoned: haha

It is good your thinking now. Do you compost your kitchen waste and grass clippings and are you organic with your lawn? Just simple balancing of green and brown in a composter, egg shells squished up, and leaves... IF you started doing that now by summer you might have enough for a base to start your super soil in. You will need to learn a little bit about beneficials.. worm castings are great if you do a worm bin.

It depends on the outdoor temps of how long it takes to make compost. If you started with an inert base and followed one of the soil recipes i would think at least a month to get it teeming with micro's.

If it was hard I wouldn't do it. It can be as simple as FFOF and some teas. or making your own soil, but that takes a minute to get it right, at least it did me. You can do it Ston.

I love growing hydro and love the fast vegetative growth I get from hydro plants, but, organics is just so....earthy. Something us Children of the 60s like. I love turning garbage into plant food. I love to being able to walk to the neighbors for a bucket of bunny poo to make a tea. I love having a worm bin, a composter, the feel and smell of rich humusy soil and just being green. I recommend that you give it a try. I truly believe that you will not be sorry. However, I do find it hard--harder than hydro. So the difficulty is probably a matter of experience. Rosebud has been growing organic her entire life, I didn't even garden until I started growing cannabis....and even then, I did not take up "regular gardening" until about 5 years ago.

As a side note, I could never get the super soil right enough to carry me all the way through the growing season without adding teas or commercial organic nutes like Roots or GO.

I started organics about 15 years ago. When I was exhibiting roses i was the chemical kid. Would never look back.

I'll have to just keep reading. It just seems like a lot to take in. My base starting point of peet moss, worm castings, dolomite lime and perlite is what I start with currently. But once I start feeding, I use GH3. I'd like to get rid of the chemicals, and go natural.

Latest posts

Back