Compost Tea Amounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigweedo

Reaction score
Hi Guys!!!

How much tea are you guys usually giving per plant (100-200gal smart pots?)

I've been giving around 2 gallons a week of this mix, and feel like maybe it isn't enough.

Do you guys give more a less a week?

Here is the mix I am using bubbled for 36 hours:

1. E.worm castings:1/2 cup
2. Earth Juice Grow: 1/2tsp
3. Earth Juice Bloom: 1/2tsp
4. Big Bloomin Guano: 1/2tsp
5. Earth Juice Catalyst: 1Tbsp
6. Earth Juice Hi-Brix MFP: 1Tbsp
7. Bio-Zeus: 1/2tsp

I upped the Grow to 1tbsp per gallon.

THank!

BW

I don't know about your mix, but I give mine each 5 gallons twice a week.
Tea is 4 shovels full of aged compost, grass, leaves and other veg matter along with a little cow manure. I aerate it in a 55 gallon drum and add a little organic fertilizer. I have a huge compost pile, probably 5 yards and its completely covered with volunteer squash, so I know I cant burn my plants.

View attachment Pain.JPG

Im not an outdoor grower but those are big pots. The mixture is probably ok but I would feed more often or more amount. You may also want to add some sweetener every other week to help feed the microbes and keep them healthy as they are the key to organic growing. Without them, your plants will suffer. It also depends on what kind of soil you are using when doing feeding with organics.

I am a novice at organics, but that actually sounds more like a regular organic nutrient mix than a compost tea to me. I have used the Earth Juice products you mentioned in a regular soup type feeding program before. I still have a bunch of the products on the shelf. I am still learning this organic thing, so maybe I do not understand the difference between compost tea and commercial organic nutrients in water? Does bubbling it make it a tea?

Joken, your plants look stellar! Can you clarify your mix? Do you use aged compost and grass and leaves and other vegetable matter with the cow manure or did you mean that the compost is made from those "ingredients"?

Rosebud, I will check out TC Bud's journal, too.

I am a novice at organics, but that actually sounds more like a regular organic nutrient mix than a compost tea to me. I have used the Earth Juice products you mentioned in a regular soup type feeding program before. I still have a bunch of the products on the shelf. I am still learning this organic thing, so maybe I do not understand the difference between compost tea and commercial organic nutrients in water? Does bubbling it make it a tea?

Joken, your plants look stellar! Can you clarify your mix? Do you use aged compost and grass and leaves and other vegetable matter with the cow manure or did you mean that the compost is made from those "ingredients"?

Rosebud, I will check out TC Bud's journal, too.
The aged compost is primarily leaves, grass clippings, a small amount of manure and various other plant material from garden, grape pruning etc. It's what we have, lots of trees and grass. Nothing scientific about it at all. My planting area has about 13 years of compost in it too so it's very well drained. It used to turn concrete like when watered, but no more. Thanks for the compliment! Here is a picture of my compost pile and all the volunteer squash and tomatoes growing on it.

View attachment compost.JPG

Thanks for the replies!

I should clarify, there isn't compost in this mix.

There are earth juice products with worm castings.

Since its just earth juice being bubbled, i'm basically feeding like i normally would with a commercial product.

2 gallons just doesn't sound like enough to me, but the plants are looking pretty green still. 2 more weeks than stretchy time.

I am more concerned about the amounts of the Earth Juice products that you are using in those 2 gallons of water. Have you followed the directions from the manufacturer on the amount to use in a gal of water? Also, are you sure that are using 100-200 gal smart pots? That would be a huge container (think of the size of a 55 gal drum) and I have never seen a smart pot anywhere near that size...not sure that the fabric would be capable of holding that amount of weight.

Yes there are smart pots that big THG... they are very cool.

WH beautiful garden, congrats on the melon. Look at those peppers.. woo hoo

yay WH! I love those melons! wish i could taste! I got me loads of peppers tomatoes and just today i shut the cukes pump off since they are done. i really would love to manage my greenhouse to make more variety but that is the trouble in hydro, each type of plant needs its own pump, res, and system. i end up with more cukes peppers and tomatoes than i need and no other types of veggies

Thanks Zem.
Yeah we always have plenty tomatoes and Peppers. We make our own Cheyenne pepper powder and serrano and jalapeño Pepper paste. This is my 1st yr for cantaloupe. They grow really fast.

Weedhopper, your garden looks wonderful.

Rosebud, thanks for letting me know about the big smart pots. Cool.

Is there a like feature here? Nice garden WeedHopper

Thank you so much.
Gardening is my favorite thing to do.
Oh and im raising Night Crawlers too.

That freaking brownie i ate had me doing that too Ston loc. Lol
Laughed my butt off.

****! Wish I was your neighbor! Very nice work. Keep it up.

Latest posts

Back