First Grow: Indoor to Outdoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaya Man

Reaction score
Kaya Man’s Indoor to Outdoor

Hello everyone. This is my first grow and I’m excited to master the art. I’m new to this site and have been having a blast reading all the info shared among all the sensi connoisseurs of the globe as well as viewing the many pics. Anyway, I hope to transplant these babies to a hot dry climate in a desert type climate like that of Idaho. Here is my setup:

- 6 seedlings from bagseeds

- 2-3 cfls @1600 lumens each (3200-4800 lumens total) -1 daylight, 1 warm white, & 1 bright white (this one is optional, I don’t know if it is a good light to use??)

- soil: ½ cactus mix & ½ mixed up jiffy seedling starter soil

- Small closet space (1.5’ x 2’ x 2.5’) w/ foil reflection

- 1 small fan as seen in pic

- using regular tap water & no nutes or anything yet

Here are some Pics:

Pics

Kaya 001_600x800.jpg

Kaya 002_600x800.jpg

Kaya 003_1000x750.jpg

Kaya 005_600x800.jpg

Kaya 006_1000x750.jpg

Kaya 010_600x800.jpg

Kaya 028_1000x750.jpg

Kaya 040_600x800.jpg

Kaya 044_1000x750.jpg

Kaya 042_1000x750.jpg

Kaya man, if you plan to get them outside eventually, start soon by gradually introducing them to outside an hour, then two, then three each day. Depending on the heat factor and intensity of the sun, don't put them out in direct sunlight until you have them conditioned. Start out with shade, on the edge of brightness.

Two things you may find problematic in a desert grow:

1. PH levels if you are using tap water. Be SURE to check your water asap, because many of us in the desert have very high PH in our water, and this will cause your plants to get nute lock. Get water test kit and test to see if your water is on the alkaline side. It may well be, and if it is, you will either have to play games constantly lowering and raising the PH of your tap water. Or, just use bottled de-ionized water (test that too!) which usually is a nice neutral PH.

2. Moisture and Intense heat/sun.
I don't know how much moisture you have in Idaho, but here in Nevada, it's single digit most of the summer. Way too dry for the plants to thrive, especially if they have any Indica in them, with broader leaves. Sativas do better, but they also grow MUCH taller. So, if you plan to go outside, pick an area that gets nice morning and noon sun, but gets afternoon shade.

Then, it's helpful to make a lightweight, moveable sun screen tent so you can put it over your plants when it gets really hot and the sun is super intense. You can add moisture by keeping them all in a rolling garden cart when they are small, with pebbles on the bottom about an inch in depth. Add water up to the top of the pebbles. This will help with some moisture, but you will likely still need a bit more---so when the plants are under the shade tent, spritz them with water on the leaves. But make sure they are NOT in the sun when you do it.

3. Heat stress is a killer. If you notice the leaves curling, the leaves drooping when they are outside in the heat, get them back inside. You have to condition them for the heat. Don't move too fast, keep them outside at first too long each day. Be conservative. Add a bit more time each day, but baby steps.

To keep plant pots or seedling cups cool (and trust me on this, the desert heat will BOIL those roots!), wrap them in layers and layers of wet newspapers. Then put strips of wet newspapers over the top of the soil, so the sun is ONLY able to shine on the leaves, not the soil or the side of the containers.

This is why I recommend a rolling garden cart (like Ames), because you can move them inside quickly, and just leave them inside the cart all the time, until they are much, much larger. You can set that cart up to produce moisture from the water on the pebbles, and to protect those tender roots and soil from getting overheated with the newspaper trick.

It takes a bit of adjusting to do a desert grow, and I can't help you with flowering because I'm not there yet. But I do have VERY healthy plants ready now to go into flowering. But I will be flowering them indoors so I can control the 12/12 light cycle.

Good luck!

Oh, shoot. I didn't see that this thread is over 2 years old! I'll bet you aren't even here anymore, Kayaman? Well, maybe it will help someone else contemplating a desert grow!

Latest posts

Back