Indoor-Outdoor Desert Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty sure the plants I culled from the "good ones", when left outside and ignored, other than given water and brought in the dark for 12 each night, would still not make it. They were yellow, lost most of their leaves, were pretty sickly. Still, they WERE girls, and I couldn't bear to kill them.

Well, I'm here to advise newbies NOT to give up on a plant! Just when you think they are kaput, life sneaks up and gives them a shot of whatever they need to thrive in spite of the odds.

Thought it might be fun to post a few pictures of my "reject" plants--the ones left aside to die. They simply amaze me! The flowering tops may still be small yet, but they exist. Talk about hardy plants!

060109rejects.jpg

060109rejects2.jpg

060109rejects3.jpg

Thursday, June 4, 2009...

I was ecstatic to get my two new digital timers and toss out the analog ones that just aren't accurate enough for flowering. The analog timers would turn off or on at 6:17, or 6:32, but never at 6 on the button.

Problem is, the instructions to set up the new digital timers are so convoluted, so TOXIC I can't begin to figure it out. Nor can my husband, who gave up after 20 minutes of frustration. "I don't WANT dawn or dusk, I just want 6am and 6pm!"

Okay, I admit I smirked a bit, but with my back turned. I commiserated, but figured I'd sit down, set it quickly, and get that timer into the grow room. Maybe I could even sleep in tomorrow morning. Mmmmmm...

I'd just spent 3 hours trimming, doing pest control and fertilizing the girls. I thought setting up the timer would be quick and satisfying, and I could look at the grow room with all plants smiling at the light.

I took one look at the instructions, gave up and filled a pipe.

Thought I'd give that timer one more try. I read for about 20 minutes, before I realized I was reading the Spanish side of the instruction sheet. I'm not multi-lingual.

The ecstasy of this evening is that I'm enjoying a good buzz, and know eventually I won't have to set the kitchen timer to remind me to do the lights at 6am and 6pm.

The agony is that I'm enjoying a good buzz, and know I have to remember to set the kitchen timer to remember to do the lights at 6am and 6pm tomorrow.

Here's the thing. I know any grade school kid would have this going in a hotflash. If only I could grab the first neighborhood kid that flies by on a skateboard. Yeah, right. <G>

On an up note, the "pretty maids all in a row" are happy and healthy, so I have a lot to make me smile.

Ahhh, one more hit on the pipe, and---G'Night!

TimerToxic.jpg

hello mojavemom...things looking great!!! the plants are sure showing you the Love they are recieveing..as for the timers..I use commercial type timers yeah they need to be addjusted..but IMO..as long as they are getting close to the 12/12..they are good..no need for on the button:giggle: but i can see you are very well organized..and hope that digatal works 4u:D..keep up the great work..you will Reap a beautifull Harvest..and who knows maybe ill take a trip down and help you and Hubby Harvest..not very good at the trimming but i can always work on it:bong: until next time Take care and be safe

:ciao:

Mojave,
I am with you on the timer! I/we got one, and well, the directions were on a bout the size of a three by five card, with spanish on the flip side. With the glasses on AND a hand held magnify glass, I could barely read it. And the english side sounded like alien gibberish. The husband says let me see that, well...long story short...that timer is still in the bag with a set of directions. Another timer was bought, and after much reading in the "reading room", he was able to figure that one out and set it accordingly for the vedging plants. It also had the sunlight aspect, and that is what was confusing both of us. Im still confused, it sounds like the ocean waves in my brain when he talks about the timer still......

hey...And your plants are looking GREAT!

they look so very sweet! its like you sprinkled powdered sugar on top of them! im eager to see them blossom.

Battling the flu this past week has left me too depleted to mourn the loss of my beautiful vegging plants--okay, not total loss. <G> But gone is the sea of green, and now are the lovely flowers while the leaves yellow and drop off.

Nice to see trichs, and my 60x loupe shows me the top ones are already cloudy, with some turning amber. Lower ones on the stem are still clear.

When I look at all the flowers individually, it's very exciting to see the progress. But when I look at them in the carts, they look nothing like the lush "carts of green" I was seeing 3 weeks ago.

Trichs2_061409.jpg

trichs061409.jpg

branch061409.jpg

yeah they dont look good at all....ill be right over to take those crappy polants off you hands:rofl:

very nice desert Ladie:aok:

I've been down in bed with pneumonia the past 10 days, and hubby did a great job of keeping the plants alive during that time.

Unfortunately, when I was able to finally inspect them closely this morning, at least half were discovered to been pollinated. Seed pods are coming out.

I'm not devastated, but I am disappointed. I didn't have any males to pollinate them, so they must have been pollinated from some rogue male plant and the pollen carried in the wind--it's hella windy here, so accidental pollination was something I knew could happen. And, alas, it did.

I realize the buds won't be quite as potent, and they will be seedy, but heck, at least they are maturing just fine, and probably 3-4 weeks from harvest. Seedy and less potent--so be it, at least I will have something to tide me over for meds this winter.

The indoor-outdoor experiment has been really interesting, tremendously labor-intensive, but did teach me a great deal.

I think, though, that my next grow will be totally indoors, once I get good lighting, so I can control the accidental pollination stuff.

At any rate, I'm so glad have this grow nearly under my belt now, and am looking forward to not making the same mistakes in my next grow--instead, I'm sure I'll make many new ones. But, such is the learning curve.

Seedy though they are, the buds smell magnificent, are getting fatter daily, and a little test bud quick dried tells me it's going to still be some far better smoke than I can buy here commercially.

kathyseeds.jpg

test2.jpg

Sorry 2 hear of you being under the weather,but glad 2 hear your still a float,j/k,NO OFFENSE INTENDED.That sucks bout your girls gettin all knocked up.Looks like you have a full canopy of leaves,which makes me wonder,maby theres some ballz in your forest.Maby it's more hermi rather than rough pollen.Just some food 4 ur thought!

Thanks, DirtySouth! Now I'm not sure I understand what you're saying: "Looks like you have a full canopy of leaves, which makes me wonder, mayber there are some balls in your forest, maybe it's more hermi than rogue pollen."

How does the full canopy of leaves figure into it? I'm confused. Not questioning you, just confused! I looked so closely to see if I had any nanners and if they looked like balls with the thin stem, but even when I tore apart a bud to look, I saw only a growing seed. But it may be too early to tell for sure? Or would the stems not be visible on a tight bud?

With the stress these plants have had during their short lives, it wouldn't have surprised me to get hermies, but I just don't see any signs of it. Of course, I am only going by pictures, since this is my first grow. Wish I had a closeby mentor to come here and give them a look-see!

Thanks for your comments, DirtySouth--I will keep looking closely. But even if they are hermie, they are going to be harvested, because what is there now from my taste test shows me that whatever I have, they will be good enough to keep me in medicine--even if lower grade--than what I can buy commercially here.

Howdy MM! Sorry to hear you have been sick. I hope you get well soon. I think what dirty meant was that a thick canopy of leaves makes it hard to see through and a good hiding place for hermie flowers. The flowers can be hard to find. There are some good pics here. Try resources first. Hick knows where they are. The hermie flowers are yellow and come out of the buds themselves, or the more normal node intersections between branches and stalk. I vote hermie, too. Aren't you quite a way from any other garden?

Yep yep.You have a beautiful assortment of leaves,don't get me wrong.But they help the nutz hide.I thought "dam those pistals sure are gettin red quick".Looked and looked but couldn't find squat.I've seen a full blown male,but never a hermi.Until bout 2 weeks ago.They can look like 2 mini grapes somewhere under the bud or where the leaf meets the stalk.

Thanks, Benny and DirtySouth. I think you are right--they are all hermies. All 18 of them. Ah, well. I'll cry myself to sleep, wipe the tears and try again to grow a better crop next time.

hello Desert Ladie..Hope this finds you feeling a bit better..sorry to hear of the Hermies..IMHO..first time grow we may have went with to many plants at one time..you see how much work they need..and the attention is neglected when growing more then a few plants..I know..its hard to inspect everyone and every inch...when you have a hermie in you garden they sometimes wont get spotted untill to late..some of those nanners burst inside deep of budd..never know..untill smokeing..now that they have been seeded the plant will now concentrate on the seed and less on the THC..its still gonna finish but not as potent as those not seeded..it will still be good smoke to for this is better then none..or buying from street..and make Hick Happy by distroying all the seeds from these plants..they will only produce more hermies..just my thaughts..All in All you did an AWESOME job on the first grow..now another thing we neeed to think of is how they hermied..do we know? and what is the next grow gonna be? well gotta grow now..ill check back in later..take care and be safe

BHC 123 :bolt::bong:

mojavemama said:
Thanks, Benny and DirtySouth. I think you are right--they are all hermies. All 18 of them. Ah, well. I'll cry myself to sleep, wipe the tears and try again to grow a better crop next time.

What a great learning experience huh? this will only make you better remember that okay?:D :cool:

Latest posts

Back