Mold, and Indica's 'prone to mold'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
In rounding out my hoard of seeds,
I have two Sativa dominate strains and one Indica dominate strain.
One more Indica dominate strain should be enough.
I've been studying strains and have become spooked by mold.

Mold? These pure Indica strains have mold problems because they are such a tight bud.
No air can get in the bud and mold loves it in there.
I don't need mold and am about to just get another Indica dominant strain 70% 80% but not a pure Indica.
Is this the best way to deal with mold?

Sounds like another problem I can do without.
Anybody out there in the world have problems with mold?

Thank you...

The Poet...

Hi Poet, you are right that indicas may be more prone to mold because of their growth structure. I bet some folks here will have some good ideas for you. I haven't grown that many indicas yet. I hope to grow more soon. I have some Kimbo kush that i am doing now. i will let you know how it does. Nice to see you Poet.

i have grown plenty of indicas with a 55%rh and very little, if at all mold issues indoors. no worries...
though outdoors here in the northeast, even mold resistant strains are for sure gonna get mold. just a matter of how much.

Grasshopper,

So indoors is alright but what is 55% rh?

Poet...

rh is relative humidity.

I've done a few indica dominate strains in a tent and haven't had mold issues yet. Like grass hopper said just keep the humidity down during the flower stage and keep a fan moving air around. Another good way to fight mold is to keep the area around your grow clean.

Mold and bud rot are a constant issue for many growers. Especially for the big dense buds. Every time I try to grow those types of plants I end up losing some to bud rot. I have found that the hybrid plants have much less issue with it but it can still be a problem to any of them. Try to maintain a humidity that stays below 60% and during the latter stages of flowering, get it down into the 30-40% range if possible to help prevent it more. Also if you are pulling in air from outside, you can build an air handler box and put heppa filters in it to catch the mold spore that can sneak in.

One thing I do to help it is put screens(2"x3" opening welded wire "dog/pig" fence) over all my plants and separate (and support) the branches more so that the heavy buds don't lay on each other. This allows air to get in between the branches and keep them drier. leaves breathe just like we do and they release a significant amount of water. if they lay up against each other this water will collect and stay on the leaves/buds and lead to rot.

Hushpuppy,

I'll stay with hybrids and get a humidity sensor so as to know the {r/h}
of my grow room. Thanks

My Oregon Grown Og at 70% Indica has never shown mold.
The buds are not thicker or bigger than Satori or Goji so I'd guess that 'strains of 70% or less Indica'
or 'smaller buds' are safe from mold.

Still looking for a new strain with a strong body buzzz but I have more information now.
And I'll watch the humidity.

Thank you...

The Poet...

Any time you have a hybrid sativa/indica, the percentage of each can be misleading. The way the traits (or phenotypes) can be intermixed in breeding can lead to any single trait of either side showing up almost at random. You could have a 90% sativa that ends up with a full Indica structure and leaves but then smoke like a sativa, or vice versa.

The smaller buds are safer from Bud rot just because of the air movement ability, but a given plant's ability to ward off a mold attack is in the genetics of the plant. Ultimately, if you are growing in a "fungus" prone environment then you need to look at fungus resistant plants, AND look to prevent fungus spore from getting in as much as possible. That's the best we can do when It comes to fungal attacks.

In rounding out my hoard of seeds,
I have two Sativa dominate strains and one Indica dominate strain.
One more Indica dominate strain should be enough.
I've been studying strains and have become spooked by mold.

Mold? These pure Indica strains have mold problems because they are such a tight bud.
No air can get in the bud and mold loves it in there.
I don't need mold and am about to just get another Indica dominant strain 70% 80% but not a pure Indica.
Is this the best way to deal with mold?

Sounds like another problem I can do without.
Anybody out there in the world have problems with mold?

Thank you...

The Poet...

Have you checked out Barneys Farm Seeds Company? They along with many others have mold resistant strains. I'm not gonna google them but they've got some excellent genetics for anti mold & pest. Many other companies offer mold resistant strains aswell. Silica is also a good defence against root & mildew problems. Happy Tuesday

Latest posts

Back