DIY dual 150W Cooltube

• Thread starter The Hemp Goddess
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
How big is your space? If you have $100 to spend for lights, you can probably get a 400W HPS for around that (if you need that much light).

I'm going stealth in a closet. about 6 sq ft and 4 ft tall. i know 600w is ample amount, but thats kinda what i was going for. and at some point i'm sure i'll upgrade to a larger area. actually, that scrog you set up looks damn near perfect for what i'm looking to use. got some white rhino, should work good in a scrog, but also been throwing around LST.

Cannabiscotti said:
The Hemp Goddess said:
How big is your space? If you have $100 to spend for lights, you can probably get a 400W HPS for around that (if you need that much light).

I'm going stealth in a closet. about 6 sq ft and 4 ft tall. i know 600w is ample amount, but thats kinda what i was going for. and at some point i'm sure i'll upgrade to a larger area. actually, that scrog you set up looks damn near perfect for what i'm looking to use. got some white rhino, should work good in a scrog, but also been throwing around LST.

No, actually, a 600W is about 1/2 of the light you need for 36 sq ft. You want 5000 lumens per sq ft. A 600W HPS puts out about 90000, so is good for 18 sq ft--you either need twice the light or divide your space in half.

I tried lst, but sucked at it, so decided to try a scrog--it worked out a lot better for me. Either training method provides about the same results--keeping your plant short and training it to grow more horizontally. My scrog was in a space that was 4' tall. I could have raised the light another 5" or so.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Cannabiscotti said:
No, actually, a 600W is about 1/2 of the light you need for 36 sq ft. You want 5000 lumens per sq ft. A 600W HPS puts out about 90000, so is good for 18 sq ft--you either need twice the light or divide your space in half.

I tried lst, but sucked at it, so decided to try a scrog--it worked out a lot better for me. Either training method provides about the same results--keeping your plant short and training it to grow more horizontally. My scrog was in a space that was 4' tall. I could have raised the light another 5" or so.

Sorry--miscommunication. the area is 6 square feet. Dimensions are 2 ft by 3ish ft with a ceiling of 4 ft. I know with that big of a light heat will be an issue but i can deal with that. have you grown in that same space more than once? i'm curious as to yeilds if they hover around 5 ounces or have gone up or down. i know yeilds are very dependent on, well, everything, but i'm looking for the extra light to penatrate....

Nice!!! thats all i can say!

U have the way.. nice!

Where is everyone finding these $20 150W HPS? I looked at the site THG posted and i could only find a $40-$50 HPS. Have they just gone up (like everything else in this country)...or what? I've been looking into making one of these to take care of my supplemental lighting needs. Thanks for any advice.

solarz

I figured as much. Thanks for the info.

Hi Godess, your pretty handy for a girl, I wish you were on the market when I was shopping lol. I like to grow all ways except Hydro, I think the weed taste funny and it just doesn't seem natural to me. There is pics of my grows on my Myspace on the front page of my profile. I grow in, out, scrog, and and regular indoor growing. Euforia Skunk, Widow, and Rhino are my favorites and is all I grow
EDIT

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html
7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.

8. Please, for your own protection, do not post pictures or information about yourself or your life that would make it possible for the police to use against you or the site. No real life photos of yourself or family and friends. Anyone in the world can come to our site and look at anything you post. Be safe. Be free. Stay free.

if lights were hooked into cool tubes no way to put scrubber before lights.has to go after and then vent outside.so can a section of the 6" ducting be screened off,packed for a length with charcoal,screened again,inline fan pulling through everything and ducting on outside.

My cool tube is a seal unit and needs no filter. I pull fresh air from outside the closet and exhaust outside the closet. The air cooling the cool tube is never exposed to the air in the closet.

Nice idea! I was looking for a DIY on a cooltube like this and go figure MP comes through... :) anyways anyone think that that pyrex bake around can handle the diameter and heat intensity of 1 400 or 600 watt hps instead of 2 150's. Ive been trying to find a 6 inch diameter pyrex tube but i have yet to find anythng but this bakearound.Thanks!

Ethan-2.6- said:
Nice idea! I was looking for a DIY on a cooltube like this and go figure MP comes through... :) anyways anyone think that that pyrex bake around can handle the diameter and heat intensity of 1 400 or 600 watt hps instead of 2 150's. Ive been trying to find a 6 inch diameter pyrex tube but i have yet to find anythng but this bakearound.Thanks!

It don't think it will. IME, no matter how much air comes through the bakearound, it's still very hot to the touch - the bulbs are just too close the the tube. In cooling a bakearound, I think the main variable is intake air temp.

HTG sells 6 inch cool tubes (but they're too long for my grow box). I did find a custom glass place that will cut you a piece of 6 inch diameter thermal glass for a reasonable price. PM me and I'll find the link.

that light is so sweet, how did you figure that out? do you know any D-I-Y's for cfl lights? i want to do something sweet with all my 26w bulbs.

DRGREENTHUMB951 said:
lol 150 watt bulb what are ya growin under them parsley?

I will have you know that I pulled 5-1/2 ozs off a dual 150W scrog grow I did in a space about 21" x 28". It is not about the wattage, it is about the lumens per sq ft. There is nothing at all wrong with using lower wattage HPS if you have a small growing space.

So is there any more opinions of doing this with a 400 watt hps? i have one and was gonna give this diy a try with that, the only concern i would have is the diameter of the bakearound being to small for the 400 bulb to fit?

Killertea08 said:
Dude your such a Goddess I love you this is exactly what ive been thinking of making and is much easyer then making a new reflector from sheet metal! I would so roll you a spliff right now thank you very much. How much was your bake around? And how are you going to stop the light from shining up instead of down? Do you have a reflector in mind?
Cool tubes are sometimes used for vertical ScrOG gardens because they emit light in all directions, but a simple batwing reflector (not hard to make from sheet metal) will do the trick for directing your reflection of light!

Latest posts

Back