"Silence of The Fans"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BROMAN

GROWIN n LEARNIN
Reaction score
what happened to nuevell chef and his "silence of the fans"? it was the best fan box/noise contol diy ive ever seen online. i know it was pre crash but, is he around?

what happened to nuevell chef and his "silence of the fans"? it was the best fan box/noise contol diy ive ever seen online. i know it was pre crash but, is he around?

bump?

I will pm him and see if he knows if that thread is still here or if he can possibly repost it. I believe he is a little busy with things at home right now. So hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Seems like it would overheat the fan motor.

what about muffling the exhaust end... speed control lowers sound but I need the flow

I considered increasing the duct size but im not sure that is the answer

I was thinking something more like a muffler at the exhaust that would reduce noise but only lower flow mariginally

I also wondered if increasing the duct length would help cut down the noise

it the exit you can hear almost like a wind going wushhhhhhh hahaha lol:vap-Bong_smoker:

and its a bit more obvious when it turn on and off...

standing to close you'd be like; hay *** was that noise! from outside

Most of my noise was eliminated by using insulated duct works.

what is acoustic duct? is that another name for insulated duct like whats in the pic?

I shall google it:vap-Bong_smoker:

thanx HL. MP is the best. that looks worth a try. a lot less labor intensive too and if I attach the brackets I could hang it with bungee to further lessen noise/vibration.
acoustic ducting is what was used and suggested in the original thread "silence of the fans". I priced it at one point and it was fairly expensive. its different from regular insulated ducting that Duck says works well. I've already purchase insulated myself.

Nchef got back to me and sad to say the thread was lost in the crash.

Hi all!

Yes, the thread was lost in the crash. At the time, my wife was pissed she could here the 5k CFM in the basement from upstairs. So I used some wood boxes that was lined with sound board to muffle the fan. Then I used insulated duct, I like the thick stuff, R8, and it made the fans super silent. Years later now, I have come to find out its really not the fan that makes the noise, but the air moving around. Using R8 or even R6 will pretty much silence the fan.

In the last year or so, for those that are year round growers and don't see stopping in the future. I and a few others when we built the rooms used acoustic panels they use for music studios. There a little spendy, but were talking ultimate silence.

On another note, a friend lined his room with the egg foam mattress's you can get for cheap. It also works really well.

thanks HL and Chef. I went and built it minus the sound board. it's not as clean as I remember yours being in the thread though. from what your saying along with PC Duck, my insulated ducting is what will really do the trick. I cant fade the cost of the acoustic. you can probably tell that I've been lurking and plotting for a while and, it's finally coming together. I research other forums and watch some videos but, I always come back to MP. the best I've seen.

Latest posts

Back