Harvest: Curing the Correct Way(IF you believe urban myths)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondeboy

Reaction score
Harvest: Curing the Correct Way

[FONT=&quot]Here are some clues on what to look for before harvesting your crop. Some signs may contradict another sign, so use your own judgment. [/FONT]

Harvest
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Harvest on a full moon, if the plant is near it peak during harvesting time. The ideal time is during the last full moon in October or early November. (10-22-2010)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Harvest before sunrise and before the plant begins photosynthesis. Plants chemistry changes during photosynthesis and it’s best to pull it before this process begins.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Harvest when the trichs turn amber/ maroon. This is a sign that they are ready to pull. Wait until they are about 10-30% amber while they're milky. View the trichomes through a microscope and determine the color.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mark & identify and lable the name of each plant to avoid confusion latter on down the road. Write & tape the label securely onto the top of each individual plant. [/FONT]

5) Uproot plant, don’t slice any part of the root or steams. Within the root, there are some rich; rich sugars stored inside the roots and if you'll allow all of the natural sugars to drain from the bottom of the roots to the smallest portion of the bud, the sugar will deposit around the trichomes & become crystallize during curing. The more sugar that is drained from the roots, the more crystals will deposited around the trichomes. Sugar is absorbed around the trichomes as a protective coating during vascular damage. The sugar will then dry on the trichomes and take on a new & unique character of it’s own. After the plant dies, the entire vascular system dilates and opens up,(exactly how the vascular system occurs with humans and animals after death), allowing unrestricted liquids to move towards the center of gravity. Furthermore, when you cut them into, like the traditional way, all of the rich sugars (sap) is wasted and little or no crystals are formed on the trichomes.

6) Fush the roots in water while keeping the buds clean and dry. This will prevent any dirt from collecting on the bud below.
7) Wear latex gloves (thin & disposable) and Remove all fan leaves

The curing procedures

The Dry

[FONT=&quot]8) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hang upside down for drainage and absorption. Hang until mildly dry. (About a 2 weeks or less). Place a tarp onto the floor and cover it to avoid sap damage and loose bud droppings. Hang it upside down in a cool, dry, and dark place. When the buds are crisp on the outside but still moist on the inside it's time to stop hanging them and move on to the next step. All Light should be avoided from this moment on.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The pre-cure[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Remove roots and any annoying steams and place in a brown paper bag and fold the top once. Punch a small hole in the top of bag, above the level of the buds, for ventilation.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Once a day lightly shack the bag to prevent mold development. Leave inside bag until completely and thoroughly dry. Check by snapping the steam. If it makes that distinguished sound, move on to the next phase . (Another 2 weeks or less of curing) [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Cure & Storage[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
10) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remove bud from the brown paper bag and place them inside a sealed jar for the finial curing procedure (1 oz. Canning jar). Place a small strip of tissue between the opening and lid. This will absorb all unnecessary moisture. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]OR…[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Some prefer to burp the jar daily, but I find it annoying. Burp it by opening the jar and carefully shake the jar once a day to prevent mold. ( 3 weeks or less). Avoid shacking them too hard, trichs will fall off. Turn your bud by hand, if this mishap develops. Keep bud stored in the jar[/FONT] .

[FONT=&quot]11) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Weigh and label the quality, name, and quantity onto a small brown paper bag. Place the jar into the paper bag and wrap a few rubber-bans around it to prevent any unwanted light from entering. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]12)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If any mold develops completely remove and discard that portion of it. Place the remainder bud (mold-free) on a suspended screen for rapid drying. Then repeat the curing process all over again starting with the brown bag stage. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Store the jar in a cool, dry place. Keep them the temperature at 68 degrees farenheit or 20 degrees Celsius. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] eg.Top of a closet. If you expect long-term storage, place them in the bottom of refrigerator and they should last about 9-11 months.[/FONT]
Post-Cure

[FONT=&quot]14) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Remove the tissue paper from the top of the jar after 2-3 weeks. If you forget to remove it, your bud will become brittle and will end-up having a lot of dry shack. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]15) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Wood cigar box (optional) This is one extra step that I personal use for a good cigar scent. After proper curing, place your personal stash inside a wood cigar box. It will absorb the cigar scent and It will give your bud an elegant aroma, while impressing your guest too. [/FONT]

I am almost hoping for another crash.....nvthis' tutorial is the one we need up here.....not the one full of old wives tales. Jmo

I'll see if NVthis has the time to repost or will let me C& P it

I will stick to my way thanks.

This :**: does not enhance true home growers knowledge.

BB type the way you do it, not paste what you have read online :aok:

:peace:

ozzydiodude said:
I'll see if NVthis has the time to repost or will let me C& P it

please do...;) His nute study was pretty schweet too, IF he has the time :)

blondeboy said:
Harvest: Curing the Correct Way

[FONT=&quot]Here are some clues on what to look for before harvesting your crop. Some signs may contradict another sign, so use your own judgment. [/FONT]

Harvest
[FONT=&quot]1) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Harvest on a full moon, if the plant is near it peak during harvesting time. The ideal time is during the last full moon in October or early November. (10-22-2010)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Harvest before sunrise and before the plant begins photosynthesis. Plants chemistry changes during photosynthesis and it’s best to pull it before this process begins.[/FONT]

what about the Chinese Lunar calendar? How does that factor in?

Please be thorough!

Hick said:
please do...;) His nute study was pretty schweet too, IF he has the time :)

just waiting on the reply from nvthis. Wasn't the nute study by a different member.

orangesunshine said:
left out rule 1a---the most important part---this is supposed to be done naked at 12:01 am to get the BEST RESULTS---

and covered in mud

the nute thread was by Jmansweed... that thread was killer.. (I think it was called "nute study")..

the "curing by numbers" thread from NV does a fantastic job of adressing this important but the often overlooked step of curing....

this particualr thread.... eh, not so much.. IMO

B.B.-
If I spray my buds with NutraSweet will they still put me in a coma??? I'm diabetic and can't have all those carbs and sugar...

suburban said:
B.B.-
If I spray my buds with NutraSweet will they still put me in a coma??? I'm diabetic and can't have all those carbs and sugar...

........................................:doh:................................

Oh man missing so much........lets see...there's the thing on smoking male white widow leaves...if you hold your mouth right ....you'll have a bumper harvest......hmmm, if you flush with grape soda, your plants will taste like grape soda....if your short on "p" nutes, then just peee in it.....and the list goes on!

Suburban: Do not spray anything on your bud after pulling them up from the roots. Any moisture on your bud, from that point on, can potentially turn into mold down the road. This also includes Nurtrasweet.

Hey, BB - do you know of any ways to flavor the trichs with grape soda?

"loose bud droppings"? I heard of rabbit or deer droppings.....

At least he was kind enough to replace his misleading post. I liked the other thread better, way more fun to read. Lots more comments. I got my popcorn and am pulling up a chair for this round.

hey blondeboy, im actually kinda shocked by all the smart butt responses u got, one of the main reasons i chose this forum is cause the ppl are usually very polite, obviously some ppl dont agree with what u have posted, but i thank u for the time and effort

Latest posts

Back