using old vineyl sheets to make a tray

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this little bit of info on theruststore.com...

Aluminum is actually very prone to corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide corrosion also looks a lot more like aluminum, so it isn't as easy to notice as rusted iron.

So it sounds like even if it got a bit of corrosion it would just protect it. It goes on to say how steel will flake when it corrodes but aluminum doesnt. No toxin release.

thats it :D

IMG_4457 (Small).jpg

IMG_4459 (Small).jpg

ZEM,

It looks great! What kind of lumber did you use?

Al does corrode away in water, just ask a marine shop why they use sacrificial zinc blocks to protect the outboard engines and stern drives if Al doesn't corrode. Also, they use special additives in the coolant to protect the aluminum car engines.

Al itself is toxic, in fact it is widely considered a contributor to Alzheimer's.

The question becomes, does the MJplant absorb the Al and deposit it in the leaves or bud. I really don't know the answer to that question.

However, the common advice is to never allow any metal to come into contact with the solution, except food grade SS. I know I will not allow my water or solutions to touch Al after they get into my house.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to put an Al bar in your solution?

Great smoking.

hey there don :) i already dropped this idea but to tell you wat was my idea i wanted to split that cloner in 2 with a wall but wanted to have the option to remove it completely to be able to heat it effectively with 1 single water heater so it needed to be screwed tight to something so i thought of using aluminium L shaped bars with vineyl glued to them but i ended up deciding on just making a fixed wall in the middle with a 2" opening and would place the heater just next to the hole so it heats the other side. sorry ijust get these crazy ideas sometimes so i go askin useless questions :p thanks for the input cheers ;)

DonJones said:
ZEM,

It looks great! What kind of lumber did you use?
hah man i promised myself from some tim that i wont buy anymore stuff before i look in my piles i used to be reckless in spending money on stuff i didnt really need, so i found that board it was 20mils thick i looked closely i found out it was actually 2 boards 10mils eac nailed together so i used them im not sure what lumber but it's the cheap type compressed wood only 10 mils thick i added 18mils supports under the bottom they cant be seen in the pic. it's my best tray so far, i was happy when i finished it :D it's still dirty in the pic but i'll clean it up make all the adustments for it and get a new pic, the vineyl glued very smoothly to the surfaces and no screws! btw it is 4 1/3' tall and 1 2/3' wide

i gave it a final touch :D a seperating wall in the middle with option to open both sides together, made a couple of rails with plastic pipes and gave it an old blanket and a nylon cover :p it can be used as colner with bubbler or with oasis cubes like im doing atm just placing theb on the floor and can flood and drain if i wanted and after cloning i will use it for vegging without the cover and with a bubbler DWC i will also be outting some styrofoam insulation aroun its sides i have them already ;) im very happy with it tomorrow i will fill up the left side and start the bubbler cuz i got clones that rooted

IMG_4474 (Small).jpg

IMG_4507 (Small).jpg

sweet diy work there bro

wow sweet memories from 2009. I tore these trays down, now i use trays with pond liners made from food grade plastics. although the vinyl worked fine, it is not food grade.

Latest posts

Back