Organic grow pH issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud88

Reaction score
My 4 clones were growing nicely and a couple of days ago I noticed that they were getting lighter and lighter....Thinking Magnesium deficiency I got some General Organics CalMag+ and gave them a light feeding. The water had a pH going in of 6.5 and I was shocked to see that the runoff was 7.6!!!!!
The medium is 50/50 Happy Frog/Coco coir/20% Perlite with Espoma Bio Tone and Garden Lime(guessing I didnt add enough). The plants are in 1 gal Smart transplanters. (They were rooted in rockwool cubes and transplanted 9/27)
I have been feeding a tea of molasses and Espoma Plant Tone(adjusted [email protected])
I was not having any pH issues until now. I have added Silica but always had a good pH going in....
I also did a soil drench with Fungicide 3 about 10 days ago(forgot to pH dumb a$$ I am)....

At a pH of 7.6 I am assuming that I have a nutrient lockout?
I watered with the pH @ 6.0(half gallon per pot) hoping it would come down but it didnt budge...
I had planned on transplanting in 10-14 days into 4 gallon fabric pots.

Should I do a full flush?

Organic Guru's????

Thanks in Advance!! :48:

View attachment nutelockout.jpg

View attachment nutelockout1.jpg

If you are transplanting to a larger pot anyway, maybe you should try mixing some lime into the soil before the transplant, it'll help your PH from swinging and provide Cal/Mag.

Lime can cause problems with a already High PH, but if you are repotting it should work to stabilize your PH from here out

If your all organic there should be no ph problems. I have never tested mine as I haven't needed to...

I would go into your new pots with 90 % Happy Frog and 10 espoma and watch them. They are going to be fine. I don't use cal mag with the above suggestions.

Greenest of mojo to you 88 and they look pretty good. Hang in and keep up the good work.

What are you using to pH your teas and why? Teas should not need pH'ed. Dead micro herd if using chems.

I am not an organic grower but silica will raise the hell out of your ph. It makes my water go from a ph of 7.4 to 8.8-8.9.

Big O.....If anything my soil may have gotten too dry.....Its been relatively dry here(30-35% humidity) and I have had to water every other day.
Fungicide 3 is a neem based product and I used it on my outdoor grow with no issues...(reason for using is I saw a couple of gnats flying around the plants and when you see a couple odds are there are more) Granted I should have checked the pH.....

IE, I had lime mixed into the soil(evidently not enough this time). I plan on adding some to the soil when I transplant also....

Rose......Would you flush the one gallon pots before transplant? If I am going into 3 gallon containers. How much Garden Lime would you add per container? (Planning on using Bio Tone and Flower Tone in my soil mix. May put a little Plant Tone to give a little N for the week or two before I flip)

Duck, I was using a friends spare pH pen but I just got myself a BlueLab.....My well water is 7.6 and when I add the dissolved Espoma "Tones" to it it drops the pH to 4.5....So I have been adjusting with UP so that what goes in is at 6.5 pH....I make my "tea" using the Espoma "Tone" products. Worked great with my outdoor grow.
I started using the Silica but do not mix it in my "tea". I have been alternating every other watering.
The CalMag I have is Organic by General Organics

HL,
It sure does raise it!!! I always used Down to get it to 6.5 before using
I wonder if once in the soil it reacted to what was in there already?

I know I am going to transplant............It was the plan all along, just going to do it about 2 weeks early. The question is should I flush the 1 gallon pots, let them dry out some and then transplant?

I think the problems stem from his addition of the silica and then fungicide. I think this has sent his pH careening out of control

I think this has sent his pH careening out of control

That's an understatement my friend! The Silica is definitely the culprit because the runoff from my Blueberry OG is high also and I didnt use the Fungicide on it because she had just been transplante

Another half a gallon of 6.0 H2O didnt change a thing......

Transplant is in order because whatever is going on stunted them bigtime!!

:48:

If you go with Happy Frog, don't use anything else but a little TINY bit of the epsoma product you have...and leave it alone except water for three weeks, then add a bit of nutrition.

Thats the plan Rose. I will be doing it this evening.
When they started to get lighter and lighter and stopped growing I checked the pH. It was at 7.6. Thinking at that pH no matter what I was feeding they were unable to use it.
I am hoping that the transplant into the larger pots will help things....
Maybe I am just over thinking things? They are short but really thick...result of the T5's?

Latest posts

Back