Jbong's covert grow with med seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbong

up in smoke
Reaction score
Hi everybody I am new to the forum. I have been creeping around the forum for the last while and have gained plenty of info from the grow journals so I decided to start my own to gain everybody here's input.

this is my first grow and I used medical seeds my friends dad got when he was in an accident.

I started these seedlings in a rubbermaid container with a makeshift computer fan ventilation system and two fluorescent lights I bought from home depot suspended from a chain, the germinated seeds were put in pete pods in a mini greenhouse with a heating pad for the first two weeks. The lights were on a 18 hour cycle. I ended up with about 25 plants when all said and done

0209071105.jpg

Not long after the last picture the roots started to poke out the bottom of the pete so I transplanted them into beer cups I had left over after a party and poked holes in the bottom for drainage

0216071514.jpg

after another week I transplanted the rest of the plants I had room for into beer cups. The plants were really flourishing. I was getting much better results than I expected with such little light. But as you can see below the plants began to bend because they were too big for that little box.

0221071151.jpg

0304071326.jpg

0304071514.jpg

To combat the space issue I decided to convert a dresser into my ladies new home. I took all the hardware from my previous light and mounted it on a board cut to fit the inside perfectly. I also topped some of the plants and transplanted them into bigger pots. after a couple days they seem to be doing well

0305071922.jpg

0306071307.jpg

0306071313.jpg

0308071245.jpg

This post will bring everyone up to date on the grow, all pics before this post are before I was a member of the site. Today I decided to add two more bulbs for the women to increase growth , I also added some white plastic on the board to increase reflection. They seem to be loving it and the leaves are reaching for the light alot more than they used to. My stems are begining to turn red, I am not sure if this is because of the strain or if something is wrong. If anyone has any input on this it would be greatly appreciated.

0316071758.jpg

0312071800.jpg

Hey there bong, nice lookin plants you have there.
love your grow room!
what sort of lights are they, i.e. wattage/lumen?
from what iv'e seen on other grow sites...the red stems is nothing to worry about, im growing lowryder #2's and they have a slight red tinge. your plants look very healthy man.

Thanks for the reply, and the comments on the setup. It's ok for now but I need to hook up the fan in the dresser its getting quite humid in there. As for the lights there 2foot t12 bulbs with something like 1250 initial lum.

Thanks caribbean smoker. Just thought I would add todays pics.

0317071201.jpg

0317071159a.jpg

0317071158.jpg

Whats up bong. Very nice set up and your babies are looking great. Much GREEN MOJO coming your way.

GreenMojo.JPG

Nice Thread You've Got Going Here JBong. Don't Forget Your Buddy!!
We're in Need of two additional Fluorescent tubes like you said. Bringing us to a grand total of 7500 initial lumens. Not bad for under 3 square feet of growing space.

S4021518-1.jpg

Thanks for the mojo tbg, Im gunna need it. A ballast just went out so im down 2 bulbs. How long do you think they can last with just the 2 bulbs working? Just so I know how long I have. Next trip to home depot I will pick up another ballast plus two more bulbs to bring me up to a total of 6 bulbs. I figure more light the better.

Oh, and does anybody have an opinion on if its worth budding with that light set up? or should I just take them outside to finish?
'

IMHO lol first time using that. neways ur gonna want to get a crap load more of fluros if ur gonna try to flower in that box. but not recommended

one 250 hps would most likely be great for that box.. but if that isnt a choice then read on..

I would call that box my mother/clones box and keep em goin only in VEG 18/6 and then take em outside once they reach desired height and let em flower outside, but member to always take clones to replace the ones your taking outside.. of course u pry knew that, lol just a lil buzzed.. :D

Thanks for the imput bushy kush, I went to home depot today to get lighting supplies. I looked for any form of HID lighting but they only had metal halide bulbs with no ballasts, mercury vapour with ballast, and 70 watt high pressure sodium. None of those would suit my grow box very well. I would have went high pressure sodium but the 70 watt available would of meant I would have to buy multiples and thats just not very cost effective at 90 for the fixture and 20 for the bulb. So I just went with what I know, fluorescents. Got two more tubes and a ballast and wired them up today, as well as fixed the other ballast that went out. So thats 6 bulbs all together, Im sure it will make the ladies pretty happy. heres some pics.... there lookin a lil droopy from the long day with only two bulbs goin.

0319072036.jpg

0319072036a.jpg

0319071554.jpg

Whats going on jbong. I see your babies are coming right along and looking great. Yes they will be much happier now with more light. ;) If your gonna flower them ladies inside your gonna need minimum of 3,000 lumens per square foot of grow space but i would try for 5,000.

Thanks tbg, allways apreciate the input from experienced growers like yourself. As you said I am going to need at least 3000 lumens per square foot to be able to get decent bud. The box (at 3 square feet) will need at least 9000 lumens. I am currently sitting at 7200 lumens. The only thing that I might be able to have room for are some cfl bulbs. Does anybody know the ratings eg. lumens of the best cfl to aquire the last 1800 lumens?

EDIT: I guess there not called cfl's, I am not sure of the technical term but what I am talking about is the fluros that screw into regular light sockets.

pics from today!

0320071256.jpg

0320071254a.jpg

0320071254.jpg

Havent posted lately so I thought I would bring everyone up to speed. The Ladies are doing great and are growing like weeds, who woulda though. Going to buy another light set up for the rubbermaid grow box so I can start cloneing. Im not sure what method I will use since I have only been successful with cloneing once (any recomendations??) After that I will allow the mothers to grow for a couple more weeks and then put them into flower to allow me to see what clones are female. I know I will probly get **** all for bud with this light set up but I dont have the dough for hid so it will have to do. When they are harvested I will move the clones into the dresser grow box and grow them in there untill the weather is right and then start the final goal, the large outdoor crop. Hopefully with two different stages of plants. I will put as many sets of clones out there as I can grow in the space I have availible. and keep pumpin out sets untill Its flowering time, I dont care if the plants are small bud is bud. but anyways heres some pics........:bongin:

0325071324.jpg

0325071328.jpg

0325071328a.jpg

0325071329.jpg

0325071330.jpg

0325071331.jpg

0325071332.jpg

Cloning Box for Sure. I don't know if we'll be able to clone once the mother plants have entered the Flowering Stage. Is this possible? Looking for input here.
I tried cloning Plants in soil...that had just entered the flowering stage once. I cloned them into a hydroponic set-up, with Rockwool cubes as an anchor. I was using DNF's Seedling/Cutting A&B Nutrient formula's....and it didn't turn out.
I was thinking about us doing it underwater, lessen the risk of getting an air bubble in the cutting. What would be the best rooting hormone after this for us? "Roots" Gel, or powder? I'd think the powder would stick to the wet roots a little better then the gel.

S4021710.jpg

Great set up man! I bet with that lighting you will still get some great bud. CFLs are the correct terminology. One or two of those would be a great help, but you should be fine as it currently is. GL with the cloning!

Latest posts

Back