Trichome?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussum

Reaction score
Can someone post some pics of what a, for lack of better words, ripe trichome looks like? I Have tried to google it, but couldn't really find anything. I am noticing a bunch of them, and the hairs on my bud are starting to turn purple and some even brown. I am not sure if that is normal, but non-the-less, once I get my magnifying glass I want to know what a good trichome looks like.
Thanks!

Here ya go mang. ;)

Trichrome-development.jpg

Very nice man, I think this could use a sticky because I know a lot of people ask this question A LOT!

is a 60x magnifier to strong or will it work to check out the trichs

It should also be noted that you can buy a cheap microscope at RadioShack for about $8, takes two AAA batteries and adjusts between 60-100x. It has a light and is about 2" x 3.5". I have been using one for two grows now and I doubt there's anything better for the price.

EDIT: This is just an FYI for others. As Growdude said, 60x will work fine.

are you maginfying the hairs on the plant to check trichs? Also how do you use a microscope on a plant without tearing something off? This always confused me....

The trichome is the frost on the leaves and bud. each white frosty coating if magnified will look like what is in TBG's chart.

We are referring to a handheld microscope. It doesn't have a base and all that like a normal microscope. best have a steady hand. I always used a 30x jewlers loupe my hands are too shaky.

pgiinc_1947_34737788

Mutt said:
The trichome is the frost on the leaves and bud. each white frosty coating if magnified will look like what is in TBG's chart.

We are referring to a handheld microscope. It doesn't have a base and all that like a normal microscope. best have a steady hand. I always used a 30x jewlers loupe my hands are too shaky.

pgiinc_1947_34737788

hey i have one of those dont know wear it is tho lol

It can be anywhere from 30x to 500x.

For looking at trichs, you need at least 30x. 100x is much better.

The radioshack one is 60x to 100x.

10 Dollars.

Magnifying glasses are usually around 8 to 12x. Not good enough to see trichs.

There really is no way to avoid taking off a few bud leaves to check. I have never noticed it to have a detrimental effect on the plants. I just don't do it too often. Maybe once a week once I start getting close.

Once I am within two weeks I'll do different spots on the plant (the top matures faster than the bottom) to try and get the red/cloudy trichrome mixture I am looking for. I do this about every four days or so. Usually the top is about 70/30 and the bottom is close to 40/60, but I've only grown Big Bud. Or you can chop the top then wait a week for the rest to fill in like I am trying this time.

BTW - I looked everywhere and the only normal 'magnifying glasses' I could find were 10-15x tops. RadioShack was a life saver.

Thats awesome. In this little po dunk college city I live in they have a radio shack :). I guess I pick one up within a couple of weeks. Thanks for the help guys! That cleared up a bunch of my questions

can someone post in what order the trichomes develop,i.e clear to cloudy, then ........?
also i thought the trichomes to look for ripeness were on the calyx`s:doh: as on my avatar.
cheers
:lama: :spit: :fid: :smoke1:

shuggy4105 said:
can someone post in what order the trichomes develop clear to cloudy, then ...?

When Trichomes first develop, the THC that fills them is perfectly clear. THC is clear in it's most pure, most psychoactive form.

As the production of THC in EACH Trichome stops, it immediately starts to degrade. The first step of degradation is turning cloudy.

As the degradation continues, the THC in EACH Trichome goes from clear, to cloudy to very light amber, to darker amber, to brown, to black.

As I've said above, it's at it's most psychoactive when it's clear. It's at it's most worthless with no high at all when it's black.

Each of the colors between are stages from one condition to the other in very predicable steps.

SO WHY in the world do people wait for the trichomes to turn amber, you ask? If this is when it has already lost some of it's most potent psychoactive properties?

BECAUSE the plant also keeps creating more and more NEW THC as the older THC starts its progress into aging and degradation.

ALSO because when it ages, it's properties change and the high turns into a more couch lock version of a high. This is when it's in the light amber to medium amber color stage.

IF you let the plant keep creating more THC that is clear, while some of the other THC turns amber, then you have THE MOST THC on that plant.

This makes the plant have the most THC possible. It will however affect the type of high.

If you are after a pure THC, most psychoactive high, then you should harvest at the very first sign of the very first amber that shows it's ugly little head. That will give you the most potent psychoactive high you can get from that plant.

If you're after a light body buzz AND the most psychoactive high, then you should harvest when the very first dark amber THC is observed. This will give you a harvest of that type of high.

If you're looking for a downtown, heavy duty, locked to the couch type high that makes you go bye bye to dream land, then harvest when all the Trichomes are light amber to dark amber with only a tiny few remaining clear. Smoke some of this and you ain't moving off the floor if a wild tiger comes in to eat you.

REMEMBER, it's the color of the Trichomes on the ENTIRE plant, not just a few here and there.

I hope this makes Trichome color better understood.

What would the time frame on each stage be? Does it vary depending on plants and conditions. I.E.- how long for it to jump from stage to stage and color to color.

Latest posts

Back