Let's help each other's Electric bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kupunakane

This is something that effects all of us, and I think together we can come up with a lot of great ideas to help lower the electric bill for each of us. And what you might think sounds silly, and a waste of time sometimes isn't.
I would have never thought to turn off the drying cycle on the dishwasher ya know, so let's hear the brains working this one for all our sakes.
Here's one:
1. Got a dog in your home ? then turn off the porch lights, anything wrong will get the dog to barking.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

I only use my a/c when it's time for bed.It's off all other times.I don't run it all day.

hahahaahah thats a good thread , but if you wonna grow save money for electric bill or use cfl :)

since the deregulation of electric companies
we as consumers are allegedly able to buy
power from different power companies.

You buy your electricity from a electric company other
than your local one, so basically you are able to shop
kilowatt prices. But you still have to pay for distribution and
etc etc etc to your local company.

Anyways.. First thing we need to do is shop for the lowest
kilowat prices from around the country.
So if you know your Kilowat prices, POST them.

and if you are computer savy, research whos the cheapest, if you can.

I looked into it before, but figured, if it wasn't broken not to fix it.
So i kept my local company.

as for conserving.. I can't skimp on the AC, i got young kids and work
alot, last thing I want to do is come home to a sauna.

Something that I try to do is keep the thermostat at 79. I cheat at times tho. ;)

Ceiling fans rock! And at night I gotta have air moving around me to sleep well.

Hey Mom,
Your right, I set my a/c to 72*F, and on cool nights I do without. Fans running are expensive, I didn't realize that they **** up that much. I've also shut down all my pre-warm switches. I don't need to keep my puter and tv in a state of readiness, and that was something that was pulling energy too.
turning down your refrigerator during the cooler months helps also. Today I am going all around the house to kill energy waste. Yikes I'm turning into a conservative monster. LOL

smoke in peace123gifs026.gif
KingKahuuna

123gifs026.gif

We close most of the blinds in the morning, so that our a/c doesn't have to work as hard when we get home.

Also, use a boiler (if you have one), rather than boiling on the stove. It's faster, and much more efficient.

:confused2:

Oh, and use LED X-mas lights. :rolleyes:

KingKahuuna said:
Hey Mom,
Your right, I set my a/c to 72*F, and on cool nights I do without. Fans running are expensive, I didn't realize that they **** up that much. I've also shut down all my pre-warm switches. I don't need to keep my puter and tv in a state of readiness, and that was something that was pulling energy too.
turning down your refrigerator during the cooler months helps also. Today I am going all around the house to kill energy waste. Yikes I'm turning into a conservative monster. LOL

smoke in peace123gifs026.gif
KingKahuuna

72*f!?!? why so low? any and all Electic providers would recommend 78*-82*f. 72* is way too low.

Yea, if it's at 72 you're gonna have a huge electric bill thats for sure!!!

I suppose I could adjust it,
HMMmmmm if it was anything else ya know. I guess I like it when it's cold. My better half is all for me turning the a/c off. She says she has frozen long enough. I said something stupid about being an ice queen anyways, and so now I am in that small house that has a food bowl and another for water. LMAO Ahhh well it's all for a good reason right ?preview.php.jpg
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

preview.php.jpg

Man i know what you all need to do if not already. Take out all your bulbs in your house and change them with flourescents. dont run your washingmachine on electric, and dont run it during the heat of the day. for people with air conditioners, have them run early in the morning like right when you go to work, have them shut off at noon and when you leave your house close the blinds and shut the doors. Always make sure to turn lights off when you leave the room, shut off your computer befor you go to bed, unplug cellphone chargers, camera chargers while not in use. Dont use MH or HPS to veg your plants. running those things cost alot, especially running it 18 or 24 hours a day, so go out and buy some T5 fixtures, there awesome.

Whell alright, i put in my 2 cents. And trust me, my elec bill has been about $700 for the past 5 months, i finally started doing all this and i dropped it down $300.(i was very waistfull)

SmokinMom said:
Something that I try to do is keep the thermostat at 79. I cheat at times tho. ;)

Ceiling fans rock! And at night I gotta have air moving around me to sleep well.

79? Thats so hot!

But ceiling fans are prettty good ;)

turn down the hot water heater :)

doesn't need to give ya 3rd degree burns out of the tap

baseboard heaters dont really shut all the way off but usually can be at the breaker box :hubba:

wash dishes by hand and hang cloths to dry on cloths line

during the day we dont turn any lights on

I bbq most every night with hard woods (live in the woods)

heat with wood in the winter if you can

peace

i can set thermo at 79 no problem,,,,the lady rasta leaves it on 68 all day ,,,and wonders why the bills 400 ,,,,,p,l,r

Gonna make this a sticky....very good stuff here.
My 3 simple additions
1. CFL's instead of incadescents more light less wattage :)
2. Anything with a heating element (dryers, dishwashers, hot water htrs (like hgb said) take up a bunch of power)
3. Keep that AC filter clean. If its old and plugged makes that system work 2X as hard to pull air.

Been doing something new..
I am very forgetful about turning off lights. So I went to K-mart and found these 30 minute increment timers on sale for like 4 bucks.
I put them on some lamps that stay on most of the day...(CFL's for my indoor plants). I set them on 16/8 which is sufficient for most indoor houseplants. on a plus note...they turn off in different increments so when I'm gone...unless you been stakin my place out yer never sure if I'm gone or not :p so two birds with one stone :)
but I know I'm saving a fortune on my forgetfullness. thought I'd toss that in. figure if you have a lamp that stays on just toss a timer on. ;)

for those that use a well for there water source can check there pressure tanks once a week to make sure the pump isn't run'n when it shouldnt be.

Also for those on wells you can install water saver products to cut back on pump use some :)

:48:

My friend is into electronics big time and we walked around the house with a clipboard and paper and pen. He pointed out that I was correct about pre-warmers. Most stereos, TV's, use a passive amount of go-go juice when they are turned off, like having a computer on standby. and those nite lights that are still plugged in and working in a whole other section of the house only they are on a photo sensitive setup,(close the door to the bathroom and it's dark in there right ? nope the little night light comes on.
Well we went around and added all the juice that collectively they are pulling, and I almost farted when I saw the score. I have been throwing away the equivalent of what 5 100w light bulbs would burn. Sheeesh.
Well I'm not paying for the execs at the electric company to have a party on me any more.light.gif
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

light.gif

Latest posts

Back