Oragnic Teas & Compost Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn1985

Reaction score
I grow in Super Soil, and I want to try making an organic tea for the first time. But I don't have any way to make my own compost. Can I buy compost at Home Depot or Lowes, or elsewhere? I have some fresh Ancient Forrest Alaska Humus...would this do?

And can anyone point me to a simple organic tea recipe, to match my simple mind? :)

Thanks much.

some where on here is Ozzy's tea... I use it ,works great. Don' really think you have to have the compost just mix the other ingredients and use that way.

I use bagged worm casings in my tea this is my mixture

My version high poweredveg

Tea

1 TBS unsulfured molasses

1 TSP azomite 0-0-.02

1 TSP kelp meal 1-0-2

1 TSP cotton seed meal 6-1-1

1 TSP blood meal 12-0-0

1 TBS green sand 0-0-1

1 TSP rock phosphate 0-3-0

1 TBS fine oyster shell

1 TSP Jobe’s organicflowering plant food 4-2-3

1 TSP insect frass 2-2-2 1 TSPBrown’s cold pressed fish fertilizer 2-3-1

1 OZ Fox Farm Big Bloom .01-0.3-0.7

Take all these ingredients putthem in a zip lock bag add a little warm water make a paste and freeze it atleast 24 hrs then thaw and bubble these ingredients for 24 hours 65-80 degrees

Add1 Cup worm castings 1-0-0 andbubble for an additional 24 hours

I mix this tea 1 gal to 1 galRO water plus 10 drops of CaMg+ per gal and use it once a week until it is timeto switch to a nice flowering tea.

My Version a nice flowering

Tea

1 tbs molasses

1 tsp Brown’s cold pressedfish fertilizer 2-3-1

1 tsp insect frass 2-2-2

1 tsp Job’s organic floweringfertilizer 4-2-3

1 tsp kelp meal 1-0-2

1 tsp Indonesian batguano 0.5-12-0.2

1 tsp soft rockphosphate 0-3-0

1 oz Fox Farm big bloom 0.01-0.3-0.7

1 gal good RO water

Put these ingredients in azip lock bag with a little warm water make a paste and freeze for 24 hrs thenthaw and bubble for 24 hrs at 56-80 degrees

Add1 Cup worm castings 1-0-0 and bubble for anadditional 24 hours

I mix this tea 1 gal to 1 galRO water plus 10 drops of CaMg+ per gal and use it once a week until it is timeto use to a great finishing tea, witch will be 30 days before harvest.

this stuff works good
good luck wagman007

What does freezing it do?

The water inside the cell wall freezes, expands and ruptures . This causes
the decomposition to speed up.If you freeze a lettuce leaf place it on a paper towel next to a fresh one on your counter top see how the frozen leaf rots quicker.Ever notice your garden veggies turn black and mushy after first killing frost in the fall. I have also noticed that my worm tea cooker produces twist as much foam in the same amount time when I freeze the nutes first in my tea formula.

Good Luck Wagman

IMO the foaming means there in more vegetable material in the mix not being broken down by microbes. IMO the freezing would kill off most the microbes before they ever got the change to multiply and start eating and converting the nutrients in the aeration process over to more plant access able nutrients.

well i never really thought about it but if brewing tea and the foam created is anything like brewing beer and that foam then id have to say the foam ontop of the brew isnt showing there is material in the solution thats not been broken down yet, but showing that the microbes in the solution are doing their thing, when there is no more foam being produced it shows the microbes have eaten everything they can, if you add some more molasses for example the solution will begin to foam again shortly as the microbes start to break down the new food(molasses) you added, much in the same way as the foam ontop of brewing beer is basicaly 1 of 2 waste productes produced by the yeast, Co2 (causing bubbly foam) and Alcohol... so if the process going on with the microbes is similar to that of yeast and booze then id say the foam shows the herd of microbes is healthy and doing their thing breaking down whats needs to be broken down. as well as the simple comparison to beer brewing, my hydro store guys told me, when i asked about the brewing process of their root tea, that the best time to use it is after at least 12 hours of airation and if there is still a good head of foam as this shows the microbes are active, and if there is no more foam to add more tea mix or molasses, bubble for another few hours then feed the plants.
just my 2 cents, either way if you have a good formula for tea its gonna be ever so helpful and youll notice the difference.

A number of things could cause the foaming without the benefit of increase microbe activity. Such as the fish hydrostat.

I see no benefit to freezing as everything should be decomposed prior to use. (No fresh greens)

But if it works for ya great.

I have some tea compost. It says the shelf life is 24 hrs but the label says it can be used once every 2wks. I had the tea bck in june. Do you all think its fine to use today so I can transplant into 3gal pots.

Latest posts

Back