Jack the Giant Cloner - Cloning from the top down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I have some skunk mothers that are totally out of control. Only 2 plants and they fill a 3x5 tent. LOL My standard MO is to clone a mother and then flower her. However, this time I want to run 2 crops from the mothers and so I want to keep them going for another 9 weeks while this crop flowers.

So, I thought I would try something new. Instead of cloning from the bottom up, I decided to clone from the top down. I know this is, chemically, incorrect but I wanted to reduce the height of these mothers so I took from the top.

The funny part was what to do with the very top of the plants. LOL I didn't want to just toss the tops so I put each of them in 1 gallon pots and we'll see if I can root the worlds largest clone. LOL

I am curious how this turns out. I usually have 100% luck with cloning so I don't expect much less this time. We'll see.

Here are a couple before and after shots.

View attachment jack-1.jpg

View attachment jack-2.jpg

View attachment jack-3.jpg

View attachment jack-4.jpg

View attachment jack-5.jpg

View attachment jack-6.jpg

How do those grow like that in a 3rd world Country. :rofl:

Nice job Bro.

wow, cloning big mojo hackerman... keep us posted.. sativas..yum

I have cloned the tops of many strains with great success

I threw in a twist, yesterday.

I took one of the 2 giant clones and put it in the T5 flower tent at 12/12. We'll see how well it roots under the 12/12 compared to the one in the 18/6 veg tent.

Here is some pretty solid data and a possible contributor as to why some of you are having trouble cloning.....

Check out the pics. The first 2 shots are 10 clones I took from my Sleestack Skunk mothers and used Indole-3-butyric acid as the rooting hormone.

The second 2 pics are 10 more clones taken from the same mothers and cut, trimmed dipped and planted in exactly the same way and in the same medium as the first 10 EXCEPT... I used 1-Naphthaleneacetamide and Thira as the rooting hormone.

As you can see, every one of the Indole-3-butyric acid clones is suffering from wilt and they look sad and unhappy while the 1-Naphthaleneacetamide and Thira clones are perky and happy looking. I'm sure I saw a smile on one or two of them. LOL

Just tossing this out because the difference is soooooo obvious in looking at the 2 examples. And, the only difference between the 2 was the rooting hormone.

And, Indole-3-butyric acid is the primary (or only) ingredient in almost every rooting hormone I looked at except the Rootone that I have used for a zillion years.

Here's a thread with a little info that will save me some repeat typing. For you people who were complaining about having cloning problems...... What's in your rooting hormone?

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69050

View attachment clonewilt-1.jpg

View attachment clonewilt-2.jpg

View attachment clonewilt-3.jpg

View attachment clonewilt-4.jpg

Well, the Indole-3-butyric acid clones finally perked up today. You can tell they are not as happy as the 1-Naphthaleneacetamide and Thira cuttings but I'm sure they will be OK.

The 2 giant tops are doing fair. The one at 12/12 is doing better than the 18/6 but, it's only been about 10 days so we'll see where roots start showing in a few more days. I have no domes for the 2 giants so they have been barefootin' it all along.

I put another twist in motion today. I decided that I really liked how one of these Satori phenos is maturing and I decided to take a clone. At 4 weeks and 2 days [EDIT actually, it is 5 weeks and 2 days] into 12/12, this is about as late as I have ever tried to take a clone. LOL I took a little underdeveloped branch from under the canopy and put it with the other clone cuttings.

It never ceases to amaze me how hardy and vigorous cannabis really is. And, these Satori seem to be mighty cloners. My last batch rooted like I have never seen before. I guess we'll see how she does.

I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

This is very cool Hackerman. I am staying with you on this. my guess is the ones in flower won't do well, lets see if that is true. Asking a plant to grow roots and bloom at the same times seems like asking a lot.

I have used every rooting hormone there is, at the moment I am liking Rootech. They have side by side comparison on youtube..

Keep us posted Hackerman. Hey, are you the guy that broke into the phone for the government? Good job! lol

Keep up the good work my friend.

Rosie, Rootech is another Indole-3-butyric acid hormone. It contains a 0.05% concentration in a base of 10% to 30% Propylene Glycol and the rest is probably water or some other filler.

The funny thing is, they made a mistake when they submitted their MSDS report (I can't believe people miss stuff like this. LOL) and called it indol-3-butanic acid.

The Propylene Glycol is considered "organic" but it is the same product they use in Anti-freeze and brake fluid for cars. It has a toxic dose on both rabbits and rats. And, it is used in everything from dog food to cosmetics. Pretty versatile stuff. Also, very controversial.

I have yet to find a rooting hormone that is different from any other. Other than the Root tone, they all seem to be the same.

I'm not sure that it has anything to do with the overall picture but I have been using it for years and almost always have a 100% success cloning.

We'll see how this turns out. I put these cuttings through some pretty tough tests. LOL

I took a couple shots today. The first is the Naphthaleneacetamide and Thira clones and the second are the Indole-3-butyric acid clones. I think they will all root fine you can see they are just not 100% happy like the girls next door.

3rd shot is the giant clone at 18/6 and 4th shot is the 12/12 giant clone.

Next is the Satori clone I took yesterday. And, I need to go back and correct my post. These plants were not 4 weeks and 2 days into flowering. They were FIVE weeks and 2 days into flowering. I figure if she doesn't root, I'll re-veg one of the others fr cloning.

Look at the last shot and you can see why I want to keep this pheno. The old pheno is in the rear and is so tall it outgrew the lamp height. However, this other pheno stays nice and short. They didn't hardly stretch 6 inches when I flipped to 12/12. Not easy to get a good sativa this short.

View attachment clones-1.jpg

View attachment clones-2.jpg

View attachment clones-3.jpg

View attachment clones-4.jpg

View attachment clones-5.jpg

View attachment satori.jpg

looking great in here hackerman.

i gave up on the dome cloners and had to go aeroponic when taking 200 cuts it just made more sense, lol.

btw i have taken flowering cuts all the way up to harvest and they root faster from 12/12, but you do have to wait the reveg out . but i have saved some great girls that way

Wow.... root city.

2 weeks to the day and about half of these are rooting like crazy. I imagine the other half are right behind. Probably transplant these in another week.

I know clear cups are a no-no but it's so nice to see what's going on inside. I'll (hopefully) have them all transplanted before there is any root damage from the light.

In any event, it didn't seem to make much difference to go from the top down or from the bottom up. 2 weeks and it looks like 100%.

I have not seen any roots come out of the bottom of the 2 giant clones and I can't see through the black pots. But the plants are doing well so we should see in another week or so.

Thanks for the good mojo... it worked. :)

View attachment roots-1.jpg

View attachment roots-2.jpg

View attachment roots-5.jpg

Wow.... root city.

2 weeks to the day and about half of these are rooting like crazy. I imagine the other half are right behind. Probably transplant these in another week.

I know clear cups are a no-no but it's so nice to see what's going on inside. I'll (hopefully) have them all transplanted before there is any root damage from the light.

In any event, it didn't seem to make much difference to go from the top down or from the bottom up. 2 weeks and it looks like 100%.

I have not seen any roots come out of the bottom of the 2 giant clones and I can't see through the black pots. But the plants are doing well so we should see in another week or so.

Thanks for the good mojo... it worked. :)

whoohoo hyphes. dont worry about the see through cups they are awesome for observational purposes, you just have to remember to put that see through one into another non see through solo cup. this will block the light and act as a reservoir and catch.
just a lil trick from another member.

Some very interesting stuff you've got going HM. Is the Satori that you said hardly stretched the one that resembles mine from the other thread? Reason I ask is mine stretched about the same also.

You can see the difference in the last pic a couple posts up.

One pheno stretched to twice it's size after 12/12 flip while the pheno that looks like yours did not stretch at all.

It looks like lack of stretch is going to result in a lot lower yield (which makes sense). Lots of lower buds. I'll have a giant bubble hash run with this pheno.

Question 88..... Are you using HPS or T5 lights? I ask because I notice a difference in the bud formation under the HPS vs the T5. Now that the plants are under the HPS, the buds are forming more like buds with less leaf matter. Maybe it's just timing or maybe it's the light source.

I will take a couple of shots of the last Satori I have in flower right after the lights go off..clone from the same mother and is at 37 days of 12/12. She stretched a bit more than the others did. I figure it might be because I am only feeding this one organic bloom tea(premix was also amended with seabird guano 0-7-0) where as the others were fed the full synthetic Advanced Nutrients expert regimen.

Just FYI.... It has been 17 days since I cloned these and today is the first time I have watered the cups.

I pre-soak the cups for a few days before cloning so they are nice and soaked. I use 50/50 Fox Farms Happy frog and Light Warrior for soil.

The soil has stayed moist without any water up until now. Today I lifted the cups and about half of them were light enough that I knew they were ready for water.

Prior to this, the only water they received was the spray that I would do 3 or 4 or 5 times a day.

Domes on all night and off and on most of the day until now. In another day or 2, I'll leave the domes off for good.

In a week or so, they go into 3 quart pots for vegging.

Looks like another 100% so far on the little ones. No roots so far on the big ones and the soil is still moist enough to not water. I'm going to crack up when I see some giant root coming out of the bottom of one of the giant clone pots. LOL

Latest posts

Back