Winter storm knocked out my power!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud88

Reaction score
We had a snow storm hit today in New England dumping about 8 inches of extremely wet snow on my area causing the power to go out at 2:00 this afternoon. So I am sitting here in the dark smoking a doob wondering what adverse effects this might have on my girls? The lights in the flower tent were scheduled to come on at 6 p.m. I just checked the temperatures and it's currently 52° in the tent and I expect it to dip into the 40's unless power is restored in the next couple of hours. The electric company said they didn't think it would be restored until late in the morning or early afternoon. So I am looking at missing an entire light cycle and exposing the plants to temps below 50°. I am in the second week of flower.
Will this have any adverse effects? Or can the plants handle this happening without issue?
I also have a plant vegging, but I'm not as worried about that one....

I think that the MJ God's are looking over me. Almost exactly 12 hours from when the power went out, it came back on! I just checked my temperature gauges and it never got colder than 50°. Had it gone another hour I probably would have been looking at 44 - 46° in the tent.
I may look into a propane heater.After all I am not too fond of the cold either...

They can easily take a day or two of outage once in their lifetime. having them die from freezing is your main concern and not the light cycle. i worry about propane safety although they are making them safer today but still. electric heaters are also a fire hazard. i prefer adding light to warm things up but that is no solution for the flowering chamber where i absolutely need a dark cycle. I resort to DWC and water heaters in those days. What i do however, is probably not enough for your area, you probably need some heating setup, just make sure it's safe.

about a decade ago, we lost power for about a week after an ice storm. a friend loaned me a kerosene heater. they make a clean burning kerosene that does not emit much if any carbon monoxide. worked like a charm and was cheap and did not require electricity. i also have a generator but they are loud and a pain in the bum to set up. i see one on amazon from dyna glo for ~$101...

Same here it sucked so bad all day til about 11 last night we lost power I was freaking out I'm in new England as well.

Good luck you guys, i hope your all warm and well lite by now, in more ways than one..

Unless the temps get below freezing, you will be okay. Temps below 60 cause the plant to basically quit growing, but you should have no long term effects if temps do not get below freezing.

Although I have a generator for long outages (8-12" of wet snow is common), I will sometimes just put a propane lantern in my grow room for some heat and light if the power is out during lights on.

THG, do you mean like a Coleman with the screw on small tank?
OF, I might look into something like that. How large of an area do you think it would warm?

Rose, TY..yes everything is back to normal and very well LIT! lol
We had lost cable and internet also and that just came back on. I was starting to wonder if we would have it back by kickoff time tomorrow ..lol

the literature says a bit over 500 sq ft. we kept the whole upstairs (approx 1000 sq ft) warmish(lower 60's) when the temps dipped below zero.

You can buy nice little propane bottle heaters and lanterns that are very safe and easy to work. The heater will give you more heat than the lantern. But you won't need a lot of heat to keep the kids happy, just getting the space up above 60f and they will be fine.

The little single and double brick propane heaters are seriously nice and you can hook up a BBQ grill bottle to them if you need longer term heat, or just the little bottles for lower, shorter term heat.

Losing a daylight period is not as problematic as losing a night period.

Yes, that is what I mean. My closet is approx. 3 x 6. I use the lanterns so that I can maintain some light, too if it is lights on time. I do have small single bottle heaters, too, but weirdly, my power seems to go out a lot while I am in the dark period. If power is out for 4-6 hours or more, I usually turn the generator on.

Isn't it just wonderful here...getting dumped on today and then again Thursday.....

yup, dont like weather, wait till tommorow. taxes thru roof!! waters polluted. tiny open lands. roads, bridges going to s***. no place like home though. go pats 2016. :rant::fid:

Florida is a nice place to visit but I don't want to live there. Or anywhere along the gulf. Just way too much humidity for this bipedalor. NC is bad enough, I want to go somewhere where the weather stays dryer more often but not freezing all the time, some is ok though. I enjoy autumn too much to move that far south. :)

Florida is a nice place to visit but I don't want to live there. Or anywhere along the gulf. Just way too much humidity for this bipedalor. NC is bad enough, I want to go somewhere where the weather stays dryer more often but not freezing all the time, some is ok though. I enjoy autumn too much to move that far south. :)

Colorado sounds like it. Went there a couple times, it was so nice, clean water, big lands. May move there next year. Will be a big move from n. eng. And everyone grows there. No more BIG quarterly tax bill.

Latest posts

Back