Growing Marijuana Forum

Bud of the Month: Kaotik Dynasty's CCK
Go Back   Marijuana Growing Forum > Marijuana Cultivation > Harvesting - Drying & Curing
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2016, 02:11 AM   #1
Joken

Joken
Default I built a drying room

I might grow in there too some day. I'll hang fence wire 4' wide and 6' tall on each pair of 2x4's. I can add wire as necessary. The room is very well insulated and I'll run dehumidifiers. We are looking forward to a lot of hard work in a short while.
Attached Images

Joken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
The Hemp Goddess
Granny Mod

The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess

Here's hoping that you fill it completely!
The Hemp Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
sopappy

sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy

WoW....
my drying room is a bunch of cardboard boxes with cut up coat hangers.
Ventilation doesn't look so good though unless I missed something.
sopappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #4
Joken

Joken

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopappy View Post
WoW....
my drying room is a bunch of cardboard boxes with cut up coat hangers.
Ventilation doesn't look so good though unless I missed something.
OK help me out here. If I'm running dehumidifiers, what is the need for ventilation? The door will open a close a few times a day and I can ventilate easily, but I don't see the need to add humidity to a room that I am trying to dry. I am new at this. Ken
Old 09-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #5
Grower13

Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13 Grower13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joken View Post
OK help me out here. If I'm running dehumidifiers, what is the need for ventilation? The door will open a close a few times a day and I can ventilate easily, but I don't see the need to add humidity to a room that I am trying to dry. I am new at this. Ken

keep the air moving......... a few fans should do that for you.
Grower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 AM   #6
sopappy

sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy sopappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower13 View Post
keep the air moving......... a few fans should do that for you.
yep, what he said... I meant that the ventilation would be woefully inadequate for growing... you don't need 'fresh' air for curing, just movement.

That all goes out the window if you use that dehumidifier though. You will have to exhaust that hot, wet air, just like A/C.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Hushpuppy
Dr MadBud

Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy

Pappy is correct. You can use that for drying with just a dehumidifier, however that thing will produce warm air as it works similar to an AC system. If you are in a very cold environment, it will not be a problem, but in warm environment it may get too warm and over-dry your buds.

Also, if you have like 5-6 trees grown outside that you want to dry, that space will be ideal, but if you have a couple plants that will yield a LB or 2, that space will be way too big to properly dry them.

When drying, I have found that it is real critical to control the air space around the material that is being dried. If you allow the material to dry too quickly, you will stall the cure and cause the smoke to taste like grass. If you dry it too slow, you run the risk of mildew. The key is to control the air-mass so that you draw out moisture at a slow but continuous rate that allows the moisture within the material to equalize to the outside.

You would also have to be careful with the use of fans as fast moving air will leach out surface moisture and lock in deeper moisture that needs to be removed. If used they should be on lowest setting and pointed away from drying material so that there is no "breeze" hitting them. This will prevent over-drying the outsides of larger buds, while locking in rot inducing moisture. This is especially important for large/tight buds.
Don't fear the Drift TGC#2112

Blueberry punch
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=57271
Stealth cabinet grow
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...389#post745389

Pup's new stealth closet
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=70037
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
orangesunshine
Drama Free

orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine

nice room---i too suggest cool indirect air movement with oscillating fans and unless you are in a tropical environment with 80% rh i would skip the dehumidifier---curing/drying is an art---looks like you are planning on hanging entire plants from the 2 x 4's---ime---i have found the use of hanging on a wire clothesline to be the better method---couple other things that work for me---trim water/fan leaves as trash and hang branches instead of whole plants---with the proper cut they hang very nicely---nice to have some clothes pins handy just in case---happy harvest

BHC #448
orangesunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
WeedHopper

WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper

You hanging sides of beef or weed.LOL
Damn,,,now that's a heavy duty drying room.
WeedHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #10
Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe Surfer Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopappy View Post
That all goes out the window if you use that dehumidifier though. You will have to exhaust that hot, wet air, just like A/C.
Well, no. The dehumidifier emits hot dry air, so the main issue may be heat.
The moisture is collected as water in the drip tray.
Surfer Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
sopappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
Well, no. The dehumidifier emits hot dry air, so the main issue may be heat.
The moisture is collected as water in the drip tray.
oops, haha, right, not sure why I said wet there, nice catch
Old 10-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
Joken

Joken
Default Let the games begin

2 1/2 of 10 I'm glad they aren't all ready at the same time!
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2016, 03:06 AM   #13
N.E.wguy

N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy N.E.wguy

wheres the rest?
u put fans in?

If growing is a 'hobby', expect to pay for it.
If it's a 'profession', expect to invest in it.
If it's a 'passion', however, then none of the forgoing matters...
N.E.wguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #14
bwanabud
Hiding in a tree

bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud

That OSB sheathing is bad shiiit, it molds and has massive off gassing of Formaldehyde....just saying.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
WeedHopper

WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper WeedHopper

Ask the ppl from Katrina how they feel about OSB.
WeedHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #16
bwanabud
Hiding in a tree

bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud bwanabud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedHopper View Post
Ask the ppl from Katrina how they feel about OSB.
That's the truth there, they got screwed over in more ways than 1...but OSB is bad for your health, especially indoors and a moist sealed room...especially for herb being handed to unsuspecting peeps.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:11 AM   #17
Dman1234

Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234 Dman1234

Jmo but i would go easy on the dehumidifiers you want a SLOW dry. You dont want to rush drying.

I cannot be held responsible for any of the above as apparently my Dog has learned to use a keyboard, I tried to change my password but he hacked me
Dman1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #18
johnnybuds

johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds johnnybuds

Very Nice Room
johnnybuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #19
zem

zem zem zem zem zem zem zem zem zem zem zem

thats great Joken congrats on the new build and the new harvest
zem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:24 AM   #20
Joken

Joken

Thanks Zem,
It took a long time to get everything done. Got it vacuum sealed in half gallon jars. To those of you commenting on the OSB. I'm no chemist, but I know the bonding agent grows mushrooms when it gets wet. I've seen homes under construction that were rained on and not dried properly that were a horrible moldy mess. My room stays dry and is not humid enough to have any issues during curing. You want de-gassing? Go into a new home or car.