When to tell sex????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Toker

Living Large
Reaction score
I have some plants that I have grown from seed. It has been a couple of months now and there about 2 1/2 feet tall. I know what a female looks like as my mother shows all the signs of female and the flowers are abot a 1/4" in size with 2 little hairs, but the ones from seeds have a little nubs (magnifing glass small) and don't seem to be changing in size. I have been checking them every other day and they do not seem to change. Is it to early to tell? I am thinking about forcing them to bloom stage. I have done my homework and 99% sure I can tell a male from female. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mez:confused2::hairpull::48:

inside or out side??? if inside i would put into 12-12 cycle. you do know that they will double and sometimes triple in size when you switch to the 12-12 cycle.. i am sorry i see now that you posted in the outside growing i am an inside grower.

you should be able to tell sex in the next few weeks dependin on where you are in the world.. if ther is any doubt wait it out. you should have no problem removin males before they drop ther payload. hope this helps

mezna... i feal ya on this one.. some people say they can tell sex while in veg, if so they are good.. cuz i cant.. ive tryed this a few times myself and ended up being wrong.. seams to me that in veg they all show signs of, what you would think of as, being girls... but then when you flower them they will show you what they really are..

what you should do really depends on what your trying to do..

you could take cuttings from them and flower the cuttings.. in 2 weeks youll see M/F and know what the mothers are also..

you can flower the plants themselves, find out M from F, then take cuttings from the F.... U can take clones from a plant in flower no prob

ether way in about 2 weeks it will be very clear what is what... good luck

question here.i have 1 female and do not know the strain either.(inside grow).would it be feasible to take cuttins from her.i am going into the 3rd week of flower.was just curious.would it be okay,especially not knowing the strain she is?or should i wait until i get a good female from the WW seeds i have started??sorry for buttinin thank you all.

if your in flowerin i wouldn't cut anything off of the plant. imho any cutting should be taken in veg. it could cause your plant to hermie if you cut her in flowering. jmo

I have found two males last week and I expect a few more... In the next 2-3 weeks they should all reveal themselves.... why don't you wait just a little bit more, no forced flowering, no lamps, no cuttings, nothing... just nature ;-)

mezna,
I've got the same thing. I've got four plants in the ground. One is DEFINITELY female, two seem to be male, the other I'm not sure.
The males look like they have a little nub like you mentioned on each side of the node, but they're not doing anything.
Those plants are more wiry looking and taller than my female. From what I understand males tend to grow quicker during veg and have less of that Christmas tree look.
Can anyone confirn that? Is that a possible way to sex your plants?

@YINZER
according to my experience, that is NOT a way to tell sex of your plants. I've had both males and girls looking one way or another.... The only sure way is to be extra carefull this time of year (depending on your location), visit your garden more frequently and remove stupid males as they show. That's what I know ;)

i have 6 plants that are 8-9 days old and healthy.i haven't got my other area set up yet,due to the fact that i just ordered all the stuff and will get it tomorrow or fri. i have these under HPS with my 1 female that is into flower 3 weeks.how long will it be before i can tell the sex on these young plants?many thanks.

yea thats a tuff one...

i have had the same thing happen to me this year. there were those that showed female weeks ago, for sure, hairs everywhere.

then there were those that showed male with no problems..

and as with yours, i had taller thinner plants, that didnt seem to want to tell me. now because i had plenty of females already and needed the space anyways, i pulled the questionable ones.

but if your not planning a vacation soon:) (wouldnt want to pollenate the others), then just wait it out, and keep an eye on em, :watchplant:

might be a hermie, oh and if they are different strains then that can be a major factor in when determining the sex can be achieved

GL and keep us posted

What is odd to me about this year is that I still am not getting any signs of sex on my outdoor plants. However with the shitty rainy weather all year, I dont have any red tomatoes yet... sea of green (tomatoe speaking). I think there has not been enough sunny days in a row to get the plants in my region to go from veg to start showin' sex and flowering. ALOT of garden veggies this year are doin the same thing, so I wonder if just not a weird year growin'.
Still got my fingers crossed for ladies!

Latest posts

Back