How to make butter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Skunk

Reaction score
I have seen several ways of getting the most bang for your buck so to speak out of our crops. I have been extracting the THC from my shake, seeds even stems and leaves. I do this by a method that I found in a book called The Marijuana Food Handbook, and have found it to be VERY effecient.
There are two ways to extract the THC from the medium. The first is a water bath. This is the cheapest way, but it is also the most ineffective way. The water bath method plainly provides a moist non destructive heat that acts as a medium to melt butter. The melted butter actually has to pick up the THC.
The second method, although cost more is much more effective. The effectiveness far outweighs the cost... This method is called Alcohol bath. The alcohol is a far better solvent, actually breaking down the resins and seperating the THC molecules from the medium. Thus making the molecules much easier to absorb. The best part is the alcohol cooks away leaving nothing but pure THC. Thus leaving a green marijuana flavored butter that can be used in any dish that green butter will not be a problem, or when the taste can be covered up.
First you will need an electric stove or hot plate, and a WELL VENTILATED ROOM. You will also need a double broiler, and a high alcohol based solvent. I use the old stand-by Captain Morgans, just a matter of taste any Vodka, Rum, or Whiskey will work. And since the alcohol cooks away there will be very little taste left anyway. Crush and grind the stems, seeds, shake, or buds. The Ratio I use is one ounce of medium to one cup of alcohol. With the water in the bottom broiler and the alcohol in the inside pot heat the broiler to a low simmer.
Second add the marijuana to the top part of the double broiler with the alcohol.
Third step.. Once the alcohol is warm add 8 ounces(2 sticks) of butter to the alcohol. That ratio is 8oz. of butter to every ounce of marijuana.
The fourth step takes a bit more time. I normally end up having to add a bit more alcohol as well as water in the lower part of the double broiler. This will really depend on the altitude in which you live. At a low simmer let this stuff simmer for several hours. 3 1/2 hrs. - 4 hrs. Tward the end of the cooking cycle go ahead and let most of the alcohol evaporate.
The Fifth step invoves the use of a tea strainer. Pour off the melted butter and marijuana through the tea strainer into a clean bowl.
Step 6 involves heating a fresh cup of alcohol in the double broiler. Once the alcohol is good and warm use it to flush the remaining butter out of the marijuana that is left in the strainer. Be sure to do this in a seperate bowl. The butter will not get hard in the first bowl if you pour the alcohol in it.
The last step is the simplest. Put both bowls in the refrigerator and let them cool overnight. The first bowl will be butter, and the second bowl will have butter that has hardened floating on the alcohol. A person can seperate the butter from the alcohol and ad it to your new stash. Try it on anything, the high will be better than if you smoked it...
Since there are both active and inactive THC in marijuana, the heat from cooking turns most of the inactive THC into active THC. So in reality some okay weed pretty much becomes some stuff like that distant uncle used to get back in the day. I have found that we often burn up alot of the THC when we smoke it, so in short this is how I get more bank for the buck so to speak.
In closing I must warn anyone who does this. No matter what anyone tells you, you can overdose on marijuana when you are eating it. The alcohol bath extracts and activates more THC than most people are used to. The fact is we can all pretty much judge when we have had enough when smoking. But when eating marijuana, we loose that ability. So we must moniter that upfront. An overdose shouldnt kill you by any means, but it is unpleasant!!! Trust me on that.
So anyone that wants to give this a try, be safe... Maybe try it out on yer dog. But most of all enjoy. Hope you found this usefull!!!:D :D :D

Great info.

I didn't know you CAN overdose on MJ...but only if you eat it. I'm guessing you "overdosed" while eating MJ? What's it like?

If you use the alcohol method, you basically cook the MJ in the alcohol and add some butter?...that's how I understand it. :rolleyes:

Good post, thanks! :D

I don't use the double boiler method; I simply heat butter, alcohol (Bacardi rum 151) and weed together in a pan and stir occasionally for about three hours. I try to maintain a temperature of about 100 degrees (38 degrees celsius). Why do you use the double boiler?

Thanks, for the info Super Skunk.

A double boiler is used when you want to melt a solid or semi-solid but don't want it to burn. Butter does burn if exposed to high heat, like putting it in a pan and boiling it (ever make quesidillas and the tortilla burned?). A double boiler is also used here to keep the alcohol from igniting if exposed to an open flame in its evaporated state. Ahhh... 3 years of resteruant exp and a lot of Food Network

Latest posts

Back