NV's organic soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can't get the rice hulls, they are out of season..I will keep trying. All I need is a couple of gallons for this first go round.
NChef, where did you find this recipe? I just wondered, i know you have been tweaking it for a while to get it just right. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I worked with the head of WSU horticuluture for many years on a organic project that was not MJ related. When I tried it on MJ. As soon as the roots came in contact with the hot soil. I knew we stumbled onto something special. I was only concerned with would it burn long enough to cycle a plant. First run it was not hot enough. We upped it and this is what we got. The rice hulls were added lastly from touring Molbaks vast outdoor greenhouses. They use them in their own green bag mix. GL

The rice hulls will be at any home brew supply store. I bought half of their own 50 lb bag that they fill the bins with. I think it was .89 cents a lb or something....

My first run of the chefs recipe I litterly melted a big blue berrygirl, Honestly she looked like she was melting, I had doubled the recipe somehow!! But it was a test, just one plant, I live real close to WSU's Ag. extension here in the Skagit Valley, there willing to help me with MJ problems, there DR. since I've got a card>

I seem to be having some leaf curl as these plants roots are hitting this soil. 50% SS and good soil to fill...

Hello all....

...........I thought it was 75%hot on the bottom 25% mild on top for 7gal pots? ...................50/50 for 8gal or 10gal?

Im in the 2nd week of his mix and my OG Raskal White s1, Plushberry, Corleone Kush absolutely love it.....this stuff is truely amazing....

i even top dressed pre98bubba with some and it took off!

i have a 55gal drum full of tap water and molasses, scoop n serve is the life for me for now on!!!!!

Ill post some pics soon!

thanks again NC....

oh yeah....has he shared the lactobacillus and active dry yeast feeding additions with you all yet? if not i will kindly do so!!! super easy of course!!!

mountain man said:
I seem to be having some leaf curl as these plants roots are hitting this soil. 50% SS and good soil to fill...

Oh yeah. They are just getting their feet wet. You should see a little burn thru ending flower or close. Once they get bigger, it will die down and the plant can start chugging the nutrients. Kinda like hydro and ppm. Except it's all already in there. The girls will eat what they feel like.

Kushluvr said:
Hello all....

...........I thought it was 75%hot on the bottom 25% mild on top for 7gal pots? ...................50/50 for 8gal or 10gal?

Im in the 2nd week of his mix and my OG Raskal White s1, Plushberry, Corleone Kush absolutely love it.....this stuff is truely amazing....

i even top dressed pre98bubba with some and it took off!

i have a 55gal drum full of tap water and molasses, scoop n serve is the life for me for now on!!!!!

Ill post some pics soon!

thanks again NC....

oh yeah....has he shared the lactobacillus and active dry yeast feeding additions with you all yet? if not i will kindly do so!!! super easy of course!!!

50/50 unless you know the strain is a pig or your gonna let them veg real big. The lacto and yeast is on here somewhere. Most know about it.

NC. You need to put your recipe and ALL instructions in one place and they need to make it a sticky. PLEASE. Or just do it here. THANK YOU.

ps, you can't get rice hulls where i live even at micorbrews.

hey NC...

If i wanted to just flower in the mix....how much soil would you put in a 7 or 8 gallon pot....I was thinking of course transplanting 2 weeks before flower to let the roots adjust to their new home!!!

thanx!

On the batch i'm running now I'm getting some leaf curl on the newest growth, The color and overall health look excellent, leaf curl freaks me out!!!
Especially on my new hoosier, I've got 11 clones off her, ROOTED!!

mountain man said:
The rice hulls will be at any home brew supply store. I bought half of their own 50 lb bag that they fill the bins with. I think it was .89 cents a lb or something....

Brewheaven in Everett Wash. wanted 2 bucks a pound, I passed

nouvellechef said:
Oh yeah. They are just getting their feet wet. You should see a little burn thru ending flower or close. Once they get bigger, it will die down and the plant can start chugging the nutrients. Kinda like hydro and ppm. Except it's all already in there. The girls will eat what they feel like.

I'm getting leaf curl on the very newest growth. The Hoosier daddy and A bb KUSH, good healthy plants, not a fadeing leaf.

P1120487.JPG

P1120472.JPG

Rosebud said:
NC. You need to put your recipe and ALL instructions in one place and they need to make it a sticky. PLEASE. Or just do it here. THANK YOU.

ps, you can't get rice hulls where i live even at micorbrews.

I will try.

Kushluvr said:
hey NC...

If i wanted to just flower in the mix....how much soil would you put in a 7 or 8 gallon pot....I was thinking of course transplanting 2 weeks before flower to let the roots adjust to their new home!!!

thanx!

Never done it for flower only. Another grower on here does that with a mix. If I had to guess. IDk. It's all relative to veg time and how big the girl is. Like a she beast? Maybe 35%, maybe less.

2 plants have fried after hitting the bottom %50 of SS. Others are all curled and distorted.

mountain man said:
2 plants have fried after hitting the bottom %50 of SS. Others are all curled and distorted.

Hmm. There will always be a bit of burn when they hit it. But the recovery should be quick and they take off. I just posted a few pics of mine that just hit it. Did you let them get a bit established in smaller pot with no SS? I found when I let them starve a bit and the roots take over in my 1qt container. That's when they go into the final home and by the time, 7 days or so they hit the hot soil. There shouldn't be any issues. The PPM becomes irrelevant and PH. Srry they are struggling. Odd

I just re read through this thread. Duck, thank you for the link for rice hulls. I had used one and they were out but I used the beer one and ordered some today.
All i need now is the soybean meal. Or a substitution.

My pleasure Rose:)

I did a grow in a glass cylinder that was layered with different soil and ect..

By my observations (and I am not scientist nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn) the roots would shoot down quite rapidly till it hit a hot soil layer then get all bunched up. Like waiting for the gate to open. In a day or two these roots would get accustomed to the hot layer and break through and grow to the next layer. You could see the layers of soil plus the layers of bunched up roots. Once the main root hit bottom then all the bunched up layers of roots expanded to where thy covered everything pretty uniformly.

mountain man said:

The first time I used this mix I did the same as you!! Melted plants, I had 45 gallons of hot mix and I added 45 gallons of sunshine #4 to it, I'm still useing it!! just re=amend it after each grow!! I figured it was a miscalculation on my measureing. anyway this was my solution to the super soil, Toned it down with a little KRIPTONITE.

orangesunshine said:
nc---funny i was thinking the same thing---w-t-f am i gonna do with a 50 lb bag of rice hulls when my soil is already on perlite---:rofl:

Roots can't use perlite, OS.. Perlite does nothing but steal root space. If you use a 10 gal pot with a 20% perlite mix, then you might as well be using an 8 gal pot. Hulls do not hinder root growth at all, thus the benefit ;)

NC, nice work, as usual. This has to be one of the easiest soil mix breakdowns I have seen yet.. Very nice..

Latest posts

Back