Watering cycle question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinSwishers

All day ereyday
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my cycle set for my little guys and was wondering if anyone had advice.

The strain is sour diesel and they are under a 400 watt HPS light 24 hours a day. I got them as clones a week and a half ago and their roots were popping out of the rockwool like crazy and the leaves were quite yellow as they needed to be put into soil.

They are all green now loving the foxfarm soil!!!

They have since been put into 3 gallon pots. It seems as though that top layer of soil is dry after about 3 days so that's how pften I've been watering. I'm also curious as to what amount of water to give them each time. I've been giving them each 1 liter in the morning every 3 days.

Any advice would be very helpful

everyone waters differently.i watered my soil grows every other day,about 2 cups.i never watered until i had run-off either as some do.i never had any problems either.as long as you are not over watering,its actually up to you.

:yeahthat: I don't have a set water schedule. I water as much as they'll take so long as the dirt is completely dry between waterings. It is important to let your dirt dry out before you water again or otherwise you'll do damage. If you don't have a moisture meter(I don't) just stick your finger into the dirt up to your second knuckle, if it still feels damp, don't water. Most important thing is PH, be sure you've checked it before dumping water in.

I'm still having a hard time deciding when to water mine as well. In 25 gal pots though. It's dry 6 inches down but the pots are 2ft deep! With small pots like yours just pick it up, if it feels light, water her. I can't do that with these, i'd prb throw my back out

Growing 6 giants...wanted to make sure they had plenty of root room. And a nice heavy base so they don't tip. Check my journal titled "first soil grow".

The one liter of water that you watering with at the moment sounds good to me. Increase the amount of water you water with as the plants get bigger. That's just my opinion, and the other people gave good advice too. Do whatever works best for you.

thanks everybody, yea Im getting away from the whole set day to water them and playing it day by day untill the top inch or so is dry.

Like Medman said, your pots are small enough to just lift slightly. Fill a pot with dry soil that is the same size and lift it. After watering thoroughly, lift one of the watered ones. The difference is obvious. When they start feeling like the dry ones in weight, water them until you get a slight drip from the bottom. Then leave them alone until they start feeling almost as light as the dry ones. If you notice a very slight wilt, you've gone too far. Mark on your calendar when you give them a good watering. You'll see a pattern.

POTUS said:
Like Medman said, your pots are small enough to just lift slightly. Fill a pot with dry soil that is the same size and lift it. After watering thoroughly, lift one of the watered ones. The difference is obvious. When they start feeling like the dry ones in weight, water them until you get a slight drip from the bottom. Then leave them alone until they start feeling almost as light as the dry ones. If you notice a very slight wilt, you've gone too far. Mark on your calendar when you give them a good watering. You'll see a pattern.

Watering plants,in a nutshell.:)

Rockster said:
Watering plants,in a nutshell.:)
hehe, a nutshell is pretty small for a plant! You'd have to water it with an eye-dropper!!

Latest posts

Back