First indoor grow with an HID!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annarko

Reaction score
this is my firt indoor grow with an HID im using a 400w MH ive tried unsuccessfully with Incandescent twice and i tried using 3ft fluorescent
and they took forever to grow and didnt have much yeild... im 1 month in with the HID and already its noticeable that i was doing it the wrong way before.:)

right on buddy. You will be happy with the harvest with help from a hid!!

well it was a slow start until i started giving them the nutes im using flora nova they have been putting on about .5" a day for about a week... they are up to about 5" tall and about 8" around

sounds like your off to a good start with your new light! Just make sure the light is not too close as hid's run alot hotter than flouredcents.

well i did a little research before i started... and being that the only real mistake that i made so far was using MG soil i hope that me sifting out all that time release crap will keep it successfull also i need to keep a close eye on my roots getting overgrown they were rootbound before i realized it in my 2x2x2 pots that i planted my sprouts in. now they are happy in the 4" square pots.
about how tall do you think they need to be before i repot them?

when the growth seems to stop or slow waay down, transplant.

you want to transplant as little as possible.i usually start in the cubes and then i put straight into 5 gal buckets.buried deep to avoid stretch.less stress the better.

i really hope that i am pleasently surprised by my results... i hate myself for using mystery seeds that i had laying around but they seem to be fairly aggressive under the HID a couple of them arent as big as the other 2 but. i am very nervous about ordering seeds from a seed bank. Whats the chance that ill get caught if i order some?

man i hope my plants dont turn out to be all male... or herms man i hate seeing awesome buds and then opening one up and getting seeds galore!:cry:

heres a couple pics of my plants.

How do they look so far?

plant.jpg

plant1.jpg

oh yeah sorry about the analog ballast hehehe the electronic ones are pricy!!

annarko said:
well i did a little research before i started... and being that the only real mistake that i made so far was using MG soil i hope that me sifting out all that time release crap will keep it successfull also i need to keep a close eye on my roots getting overgrown they were rootbound before i realized it in my 2x2x2 pots that i planted my sprouts in. now they are happy in the 4" square pots.about how tall do you think they need to be before i repot them?
i think sifting out the little nute balls from the mg will help....mg is tough for beginners and not recommended overall due to nute prollems,but !!!..i will tell you for informations sake that 1) MG 3month can be used with great results and 2) floros are perfect for the veg cycle.....check out "my first awesome grow" link in my signature....i think you'll be enlightened to say the least:D ...i think you made a good choice with the GH floranova line....i used the floralicious grow/bloom as a foliar spray on the plants in that journal......what do you plan to flower with ???

if those plants are a week old , they look very good

im thinking im going to flower with the floranova as well they have the one for veg and the other for bloom from everyone that i asked they were the easiest to use for a beginner... although measuring them is kinda tricky cause they are thick like chocolate milk and they get on the sides of my graduated cylinder!

annarko said:
man i hope my plants dont turn out to be all male... or herms man i hate seeing awesome buds and then opening one up and getting seeds galore!:cry:
this being your first grow, and the fact that you used bagseed drasticly increases the chance of hermies... all but 1 of 6 females grew weenies on me,but i picked as many nanners as i could before chopping...i got a few seeds(6-7) out of 6 plants and all plants were chopped early as a result but i still got 18 oz dry and 4 of those plants were very good smoke wise...so even if you get a bunch of dudettes it's not really a loss...not on your first try...start with large pots...that means little or no transplanting...start a clone mom so there is no guess on sexing, that way the only transplant is rooter plug to pots..it'll take some time to get things in order but i remember thinking "wow, thats alot of stuff to keep up with" and in no time flat i had quality pot

annarko said:
im thinking im going to flower with the floranova as well they have the one for veg and the other for bloom from everyone that i asked they were the easiest to use for a beginner... although measuring them is kinda tricky cause they are thick like chocolate milk and they get on the sides of my graduated cylinder!
i would'nt worry about getting exact measurments with that stuff...try ,but don't fret a couple extra drops....soil grows have a wider room for error than hydro...what kind/wattage light do you plan to uflower with???

btw these plants are about 4 weeks old they are about 6" tall and i decided to use about half as many nutes as the chart said that i got with the flora nova and i had them rootbound in 2" pots for a little bit so they stopped groing for a few days then after i repotted them they took off also they had a deficiency before i started using the flora nova and that set them back a bit... once i started on the nutes they came around after 3 days or so i lost the first set of leaves at the bottom though

i have a 375w HPS conversion bulb when i am going to force flower them i dont have a lot of height to work with so i am going to force flower when they get to about 18"

Latest posts

Back